You can type here any text you want

Frame upgrading?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

6togo

Got another frame to Mod and need some input i plan to box and notch the frame and add the control arm braces plus reweld all the seams. I also want to add some tubing between the rear rails to aid the notch now i seen a single tube from rail to rail but i would like to do more i seen a pic somewhere that triangled tubing from the cross tube down to the upper control arm mounts which looked impressive anyone seen or done that?
When welding on the frame if i have it sitting on jack stands do i have to worry about warpage or bowing if i weld some sections at a time or is there another way to do this? Any pics of frame mod's are welcome!

Level the frame on jack stands or a frame jig first. Once that's done weld all the original welds and then brace the frame from there. I did a lot of work on my frame but I'm not done yet. The stock frame is a wet noodle to say the least and needs all the help it can get.;) If you want an idea of what I've done go to the B4black section and look up "Finally got some time". I'm not done yet and all the mods won't be shown but it should give you some ideas on how to do what you want.:D

Thanks Charlie i did spend some time checking out yor frame and have some good ideas the only area of concern is the rear around the control arms i dont want to add bracing that will cause havoc on the exhaust or control arm movement!

Anyone have pictures of their frame without the body on it in complete rolling form? I would like to see this so i know where to add bracing and not be in the way of moving parts and exhaust pipes! Also a pic of a car on a lift with a upview of the rear end section would be very helpful!

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

Thanks i could no longer see pics in your thread from when you id your frame but i remember it well!

I picked up my project frame today the two front mounts are rotted and the bottom of the rails are beat up a bit from being moved with a machine but nothing a bit of time will not fix! I got a tape measure out and checked to see if my current frame and the new one were the same well most all are very close but the front bumper holes are off about 1/2" give or take but the front body holes are exact on both i'm guessing that not only the crappy welds are the only thing not perfect on these frames that sound about right?

One of mine was slightly rotted so it was replaced but I didn't switch frames. FYI a partial vin number is stamped into the frame on these cars, something to keep in mind if your switching. I would suggest getting it sand blasted before doing any work, we tried to weld after just cleaning it with a wire wheel and the grime was in the pores of the metal and made the welds crappy

Yea this frame is fairly clean just the typical surface rust no grease or coating but i thought i would get it blasted before i started you can never get deep down in those cracks to get al the crud out thats for sure! Any idea where the vin # is i did not come cross t on the GN frame when it was stripped? i have some left over body mount washers i got from Brian at Gbody parts that work well i replaced 4 on the other frame!

I just checked the overall length of the new frame and its around 14' 7" and the GN frame is 14'9" the difference in the front frame horns i measured from the cradle on both and the new one is 2" shorter anyone know the story of that is this not going to work?

The guy said it was a 87' frame from a monte carlo but who knows the only thing i did notice was the rear has a mount perch on the right rear side like the left side the GN only has the left due to the spare tire well but that could be removed and drill the hole for the mount in the rail the bottom is open for it already but something is not right!

I just read that malibu frames have 2" shorter front frame horns but that dont explain the rear right mount perch so much for all G-body frames being the same besides wagons and elky's!

If you look at Dave's last pic you'll notice it's sitting on concrete that looks fairly level. Notice that the right rear is off the ground? That's just one of the issues that you may encounter when you start working on it. I don't remember who's making the new after market frame but there's a vid on youtube and they jack one side up while it's on either a frame jig or jack stands and show how much they flex.o_O I believe it was almost a foot on one side before the other side moved.:eek:

If you look at Dave's last pic you'll notice it's sitting on concrete that looks fairly level. Notice that the right rear is off the ground? That's just one of the issues that you may encounter when you start working on it. I don't remember who's making the new after market frame but there's a vid on youtube and they jack one side up while it's on either a frame jig or jack stands and show how much they flex.o_O I believe it was almost a foot on one side before the other side moved.:eek:

I watched that video. I could not believe how much it flexed. The welding done on these frames at the factory was a joke.
I welded up some and put lower control arm braces on mine but I'm not building an all out race car so I left it alone.Now seeing all the braces that people are welding in I might just grind some of the coating off and weld some more braces in.

6togo,I have an 88 cutlass frame and it looks the same as the Buick frame.
If the rails are shorter in the front that moves the core support back 2 inches.That wont work.

Here is my frame, it might be an over kill but hey why not. I have bunch of pictures on Facebook on my wall showing how and what I did if anyone wants to check it out! I am too lazy to up load it here!
Prasad

Attachments

• IMG_1292.JPG
    IMG_1292.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 416
I have the frame from my totaled 86 GN. Body damage was enough to total it, header panel, drivers fender, drivers door, drivers A pillar, drivers quarter and roof were just too costly. The frame survived unscathed. So my plan is to do mods similar to WIKEDV6, Charlief1 and dsapper and stuff it under my 87 GN.

Here is my frame, it might be an over kill but hey why not. I have bunch of pictures on Facebook on my wall showing how and what I did if anyone wants to check it out! I am too lazy to up load it here!
Prasad
Very nice, are you on the TB board on FB. Whats your handle on there so i can check you out?

Joe

Back