You can type here any text you want

Freshen up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BigfatL

I'm going to be pulling my engine & trans for general detailing & leak repairs.
I'd like input on a list of "must do's" and "don't bother's" while its out.
The car has 45K miles and runs great (12.70's) so I have no desire to pull the heads or mess with the short block at this time. The only mods I've done in the 22yrs I've owned the car is an xp fuel pump, adjustable regulator and Reds 93 chip. .........and yes I realize I'm leaving this wide open. Looking forward to reading all the opinions.:)

Timing chain at least. I bet the stock plastic one has cracks in it. Better to do it on the stand than in the car dude. I know your rear main is leaking and oil pan gasket so you're halfway there already. No intake or head removal required. If you are scared of the Cam sensor get the caspers cap for easy install.
Injector hotwire kit
Russ Merritt/RJC wires
T/A valve covers
RJC Pulleys
Intake Tubing From Mark at TR Custom parts
Extreme temp painted or coated manifolds and downpipe too
Polished compressor housing new wastegate and nice coated or chrome turbo cover will have you with a real looker under the hood when you clean it all up.

Honestly, since you have the motor out and on a engine stand..... all the hard work is already done.
From there it's just economic's but, it would be a great time to freshen the whole motor up, pull the heads, have them freshened up with new springs, 3 angle vavle job at the least, new timing set, like was mentioned. Fresh rings and bearing, should run just like new again.
If you are dead set against going in the motor except for the oil pan to replace the rear seal, at least take a peak at some of the caps on the crank and the connecting rods, that won't take long or cost anything. If anything is on the pick-up tube screen, clean it off, recomend doing this after taking it out of the motor, don't want any crap going in the oil pump.
I would also replace all the gaskets while it's out of the car, front cover(would be replaced anyway if putting in fresh timing set), fresh (NAPA or any good quality don't use the cheapest you can find) water pump (w/new gasket of course). Also I would pull the heads, even if it where only for fresh gaskets, unless you are 100% sure you never had det/knock. You are so close to doing it once and done ......... pulling the motor is a pain. Also good time to replace the injector harness, look closely at #3 cylinder injector wiring, it usually is the 1st one to short out. (ask me how I know)

Chuck

Back