You can type here any text you want

Gerotor oil pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

49-blues

Has anyone ever tried making or using a gerotor oil pump with a stage 2 front cover -the kind that runs off a crankshaft instead on the camshaft?

been done a few times. Use the search you will find it. Ruggles built these years ago.

Thanks great input! Are these covers currently being used? I think I would like to make one for my stage2.

Thanks great input! Are these covers currently being used? I think I would like to make one for my stage2.
Mine isn't being used because I had problems with the pressure regulator working with the homemade block. I've since bought a mill and machined down a stock adapter and threaded it for the output fitting.
I then started writing my master's thesis and didn't have time to work on the whole car. This is going into my '64 Riviera hybrid so it's a lot more work than just playing with the pump to get it going. It makes pressure just fine but I had priming problems with it related to the pressure regulator and a leaking cooler line.

Will try to get the car going again this summer but I need to fix the brakes before I do much with it since they are practically non-existent.

Just thought I would give my comments on a gerotor pump set-up for a turbo V-6 after investigating this possibility. :)

First comment is that after building and working on 8 and 9 sec Buicks with stock type oil systems with mods, we have found them very reliable and give outstanding performance.

Beyond that level, racers will then go with a dry sump system.

Since a gerotor system would require modified and fabricated parts, the reliability factor woud be questionable as compared to the proven stock system.

With the new pumps and covers developed by TA, it has elevated the stock type oiling system to a higher level of performance and reliability.

A major issue I have with the gerotor set up is not being able to quickly and easily run oil pressure for priming or testing.

We are really discussing performance applications here as there is no good reason to adapt this to a street driven GN except to be different. A stock type system is more than adaquate. :cool:

I know my info sounds negative, but I try to look at all aspects of developments - good or bad.

Just thought I would give my comments on a gerotor pump set-up for a turbo V-6 after investigating this possibility. :)

First comment is that after building and working on 8 and 9 sec Buicks with stock type oil systems with mods, we have found them very reliable and give outstanding performance.

Beyond that level, racers will then go with a dry sump system.

Since a gerotor system would require modified and fabricated parts, the reliability factor woud be questionable as compared to the proven stock system.

With the new pumps and covers developed by TA, it has elevated the stock type oiling system to a higher level of performance and reliability.

A major issue I have with the gerotor set up is not being able to quickly and easily run oil pressure for priming or testing.

We are really discussing performance applications here as there is no good reason to adapt this to a street driven GN except to be different. A stock type system is more than adaquate. :cool:

I know my info sounds negative, but I try to look at all aspects of developments - good or bad.
Nick,

I built mine part because I could and part because I needed it for frame clearance. The stock oil pump would run smack into the engine crossmember of my '64 Riviera with it's X-frame.

I too worried about priming the engine without the ability to turn it free of the crank. I built a pre oiler using an SBC pump mounted in a 2gal bucket that feed into the turbo oiling port just outside the block but I pretty much could route it into any place with an AN fitting. I did actually run oil backwards across the pump during the priming issues to fill it with oil but that was an experiment. The hardest part of using the oiler is the crummy access I have to the various points where I'd hook the oiler up.

Nick,

I built mine part because I could and part because .................

It is really cool you did that, and I applaud your work and effort in breaking new ground! :cool:

This is the type of effort and thinking that keeps our cars alive and still moving forward.

Thanks for your input. :)

I will vouch for the TA pump cover, too. I just built a StageII on-center with the TA high volume pump cover. (the one that uses external hoses) It made 150+ psi at IDLE!!!!:eek::eek: I had to go into the pump and put a 3/8" radius from .10" of the bypass seat to the by pass port and step the bypass line up from a -6AN to a -8AN. When trying to correct the pressure problems, I ran a -8 hose up to the passenger valve cover and it would FILL the valve cover with oil in about 15-20 seonds of idle time. (TA heads) The oil pressure was being taken off of the back of the block. That pump (using a highly modified stock timing cover-14 bolt) REALLY pumps some oil!!! Even Mike at TA had never heard of his pump making that much oil pressure. It would peg the gauge with a cordless drill motor with very little drag. Usually a cordless drill won't turn an oil pump for very long. It would run the pump effortessly. Amazing to me anyway.

I'm in agreement with Nick on this. The TA pump vastly improves the efficiency of the stock oil pump. I have never had a Buick V6 EVER make too much oil pressure. I have now.;) Buy a std volume TA pump and spend alot of time reducing the hemmoraging in the stock oiling system and you will still by-pass a TON of oil.

The car just made a 10.30 @ 133 pass first time out on pump gas and alcohol, with a 1.59 60ft time on drag radials. Oil pressure is doing great.

Nothing wrong with innovation. If you have the talent and time, go for it. I, for one, love to see guys make things outta their garage. But if you think it will make things better, think again. The TA pump will MOVE SOME OIL! (properly set up).

WOW- I'm impressed-incredible! I was also thinking of the ta pump/ front cover, I think that's the route I ll be taking- great information - thanks for your input on this.

I gave mine to Tom at Champion; he was going to look at making a casting, but I don't think it ever went anywhere. I too had to make a pre-oiler to prime the motor. I think that I'd just opt for a dry sump before going through all of that fabrication again.

But..if somebody made a casting and a pump gear/balancer for it, the gerotor would be superior to the stocker, improved or not. There's a reason why virtually all new engine designs run gerotor pumps.

Back