GM 4 speed

VernLee

I thought maybe someone here could help settle a bet for me,
What year was the first 4 speed GM car built ? I'm talking full sized Chevy here. not the corvette ( 1956) My friend says 1957 I say 1961 any info will be appreciated, If you an internet site to go to that would be even better,
Vern

The manual 4 speed transmission was never intended to be installed as a
factory option in the full size Chevrolet for the 1957 model year, as the only
shift lever made by Chevrolet Division of General Motors was for the Corvette
and was of the "Short Shaft" design. However, this transmission was added by
a few dealers and used one of the few "after market" shift levers that were
available at that time.

there are rumors that a handful of 1957 Chevrolets left the factory with Corvette 4-speeds No documentation exists to back this up.

According to my parts catalogs 1959 was the first year you could have ordered the 4 speed factory installed. Only available if you ordered the 348 or the FI Ramjet 283. Not available with the 283 carb motors.

Oh what I wouldn't give to go back into time with a truck load of money. I'll take a 59 sedan delivery with the 4 gear and a tri-power 348!:smile:

Edit: There are a series of books called Chevrolet By The Numbers. Chevrolet By The Numbers 1955-1959 They are neat reading if you ever get the chance to look at them. Check them out at Waldens or Barnes & Noble. Lots of good storys in them.

Here's a nice one

Attachments

• 1959_chevrolet_full.jpg
    1959_chevrolet_full.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 71
Mother's 59 is nice

This has been around for a while sweeet!

Attachments

• 1959ChevySedan_Large.jpg
    1959ChevySedan_Large.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 80
My dad always tells the story of the friend they got to order a '59 with tri-power 348/4 speed/4.56:1 gears.

When he was showing it off right after he got it, going thru the gears, the car got sideways and the back bumper hooked the bumper of a parked car, tore it off and the bumper flew and hit the front of house.