GM Hightech Magazine

i agree with the above, its been a great mag. He has been track testing his turbo regal and its been fun. Every other mag there is a buick represented etc.... not much more that we should ask for when you consider how small we really are.

The Buick coverage kinda sucks, but what do you expect? A car magazine aimed at a specific target audience has to stay in business....so pretty much any car with an LSx motor is all you'll see. No different than what you'll see with the TR aftermarket vs the LSx aftermarket.

Personally I liked them better when they were just High Tech Performance. All domestic car coverage, and the shootouts between Buick, Ford, Chevys, etc. were great.

I posted a complaint 2+ years ago when the Content got repetitive and lame and I Should have put on a flame suit. My how things have changed.

I just can't get into the LSX :eek:

Or the new Camaro for that matter :rolleyes:

I would like to see more Buicks too, but if you look at it from their point of view, they are in the business of making money.

What do you think the ratio of supscribers is from LSX to LC2's.

You guys are failing to realize that the TR market is NOTHING compared to the LSX market. Be thankful, with the new editor you may never see another Buick in the magazine.

I would like to see more Buicks too, but if you look at it from their point of view, they are in the business of making money.

What do you think the ratio of supscribers is from LSX to LC2's.

You guys are failing to realize that the TR market is NOTHING compared to the LSX market. Be thankful, with the new editor you may never see another Buick in the magazine.

This is pretty much the bottom line whether you like it or not, it's just a numbers game plain and simple! I see Brett mentioned we have over 24K members on this board, and yet LS1tech.com has over 140K members not to mention the various boards for F-Bodies, Vettes, GTO's, etc. which are all of course primarily powered by the LSX motor. I personally am happy to see our cars get any mention at all in GMHTP magazine or any other magazine that might occasionally feature a TR. We really have no room to complain if you want my opinion especially considering how little coverage they give to the SyTy guys as well as the LT1 powered B-Body guys and to be honest I don't recall those guys complaining. Now that Rick is no longer with the magazine I'd venture to say the Buick coverage will get worse, but maybe they will surprise us. In any event, GMHTP has done more features and TR related articles than any other mainstream car mag and that is certainly a fact that can not be disputed!

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't understand why any TR owner would complain about this mag. Its the only one that features TR's and has technical articles.

To cancel the subscription and deny yourself the info and layouts of our cars just to save $20 is beyond me.

Things may change now that Rick is leaving, but I for one am thankful for what they have done.
I disagree! Look at this picture of my old GN as a whole page write up in Popular Hot Rodding magazine..

My old GN was also mentioned in GMHTP but it seemed like you had to know Rick just to get your car in the magazine. It also seemed like he mostly liked to work with certian shops only on the TR's. It was nice to be able to get a monthly mag that you could read tech articals on our TR's but it truely was going down hill regaurdless..

Scot W.

Attachments

• our digital pictures 006.jpg
    our digital pictures 006.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 517
Exactly what I was thinking. I don't understand why any TR owner would complain about this mag. Its the only one that features TR's and has technical articles.

To cancel the subscription and deny yourself the info and layouts of our cars just to save $20 is beyond me.

It's not really about saving $20, but rather by the time some tech info is published in GMHTP, it has long been given out and explained here!...:rolleyes:
I've cancelled my subscription more than 2 years ago, and it hasn't stopped me a bit from improving my GN and going quicker...;) What I did like about GMHTP were the articles and pictures about modifications done on TR's, often done at Cotton's or at the late Eric Schertz's Dynotech...:frown:
Claude. :smile:

I one or two page write up every other month on a TR is very little to ask for. F body guys like TR's as well. I like the LSX stuff. It's awesome but the magazine has a lot of pages in it.

I used to get the muscle magazine IRONMAN every month when Mike Mentzer would write a one page article on training techniques. He died and I haven't bought the magazine since. I bought the magazine specifically to read his one page article.

Would it kill Hightech to do the same and do a one or two page write up on a TR every other month?

It's really not a lot to ask for. That's all im saying.

lets say you have a magazine, and your job is to sell issues...

Stories that are interesting to the maximum number of people sell the most issues.

With this in mind, why would you ever, ever, ever feature a turbo buick. What are you going to write about? There is realistically only one aftermarket cylinder head, one or two cranks. Most people run stock headers deep into the 10s. Not many different combinations in general. Lets see, bigger turbo, intercooler, champion heads, girdle, and so and so runs 9's or tens. That could be every story in the magazine. Anything of any real interest, like an indepth story on how to hold a 109 together for world record runs has way too much of a niche interest, and the people that have this information don't want to give it up.

There really aren't any road racing buicks either. So much for any really interesting suspension stories. No real ground breaking developments, etc.

GenIII engines have a much larger following and the aftermarket is huge. New things are being developed every day. Doing stories on them makes for more interesting reading for most people.

Actually I mostly read magazines only for very general car news type stuff. Every now and then a dyno comparison catches my eye.. but for the most part, if you are reading a magazine trying to get the latest info then you either don't have a computer, or you don't realize the cutting edge in this hobby is happening right here on these msg boards.

Personally I find Hemmings Muscle Machines has way better coverage of our cars even if it is once in a blue moon. But than I like the resto-mod and survivor cars better than the full blown racers. If I need to see what is the latest hi-tech gadget or who is running in the high 7's than I need to go no futher than this board to read about it.:cool:

F&F4 is coming out... im sure we'll see some import mags featuring a buick or two

i miss the good old days of TURBO mag domination with grand nationals all over the freaking mag

turbo tried to help our cause but then imports got popular and the buicks got the boot for the supras which cost 3x as much, not to mention the market increase for imports vs our buicks. its easy to see what happened but those old turbo mags are were its at! I've got 2 boxes full :) They make nice car pieces at a show or something.

Things may change now that Rick is leaving, but I for one am thankful for what they have done.

+1. I don't know of any other magazine that hardly say anything about our cars. Some is better than nothing, hopefully it will continue with Rick Jensen leaving. By the way, did anyone notice the owners name of the feature GN in the latest issue, " Ryan Jensen". Any relationship to Rick? :confused:

I disagree! Look at this picture of my old GN as a whole page write up in Popular Hot Rodding magazine..

My old GN was also mentioned in GMHTP but it seemed like you had to know Rick just to get your car in the magazine. It also seemed like he mostly liked to work with certian shops only on the TR's. It was nice to be able to get a monthly mag that you could read tech articals on our TR's but it truely was going down hill regaurdless..

Scot W.

Personally I find Hemmings Muscle Machines has way better coverage of our cars even if it is once in a blue moon. But than I like the resto-mod and survivor cars better than the full blown racers. If I need to see what is the latest hi-tech gadget or who is running in the high 7's than I need to go no futher than this board to read about it.:cool:

Scot, I meant pretty consistant coverage.

tf38, I subscribe to Hemming Muscle also and yes the few TR articles are well covered, but don't compare to the frequent coverage in GMHTP.

They usually have something about a TR in each issue. Tech or Spread.

I understand that We can get all the info needed here, but I think any positive coverage in a national mag helps educate people more about our cars.

Is Chris Endres still at GMHTP? He covered my car(before I owned it)and as well as other TR's.

Keep complaining. You will NO Buicks anymore. I guess yall missed page #4 & the fact that the "Buick Guy" in that magazine, Editor Rick Jensen was leaving for personal reasons. Lets really see how much Buick stuff shows up now.

I agree with Louie on this Rick did stand up for us and even brought Nat' coverage to the mag a few times. Like having one article is better than none! Plus they pry only have a few people submit for a possible car shoot and article.

Steve

I like the car- It is much nicer and faster than mine. I would have kept the factory wheels, but that's just me.

I noticed that the car has Minnesota collector plates and in the article it states that the engine was built in Rosemont, MN. Maybe I'll see it in person someday...

This car was probably photographed at the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals at some point. The event is held at the Minnesota State Fair grounds every year. Photogs do photo shoots of many many cars there every year.

Some articles come out in various mags right away, some come out years later, and some never get used, from what I understand.......

John

I don't subscribe anymore because of the heavy coverage of F-bodies, but I can't blame them, it's the only market they have left. Im glad that TR's get any coverage from them, so I just check it out on the newstands and decide to buy then. Would like to see more coverage of other GM steel, Monte, Impala SS, Syclone.