GN1 External Wastegate

blackgn1

Set on TSM Boost
Need some feed back guys. Any issues with boost control? Especially in the 26-29psi boost area.

What spring do you have in it? What boost controller are you using? What issues are you having? I have had problems with mine but am getting them worked out now.

Havent put boost to it yet. I'm using GN1's boost controller. I believe it is a Turbonetics manual. The spring is a 15 if I'm not mistaken. Worried about the possible quality issue. I'm going to run high boost on the track.

I had one back in 2007, the wastegate hole was far too small. Boost was never steady, spike,creep you name it. I havent seen one of the new ones for comparison...

Bryan

Been running one for years on mine, plus I sell them. Biggest issue I had was controlling boost creep. Changed the wastegate to a Turbosmart one and still had issues. What solved the problem was porting the wastegate hole paying attention to laying back the hole so the exhaust had a better shot at making the turn. Should have done that first! All good now. Using same boost controller.

If you are going to run that high boost you probably will want to put more spring in it. Mine came with the 7 lb small blue spring in it. I also have the Turbonetics manual boost controller. When I had my stock intercooler I could hit around 20 psi boost. Since I switched to the large front mount I could not get much past 15 psi boost. If I turned the controller more than 5 turns I started getting a spike at spoolup to like 20 psi and it would settle back to 16. I shimmed the spring and with 4 turns of the controller knob that got me to 18 psi with no spike. I finally ordered bigger springs for it. It uses the same springs as the TIAL wastegate which it is a Chinese knockoff of. I ordered the large blue (13 psi) and the large red (10 psi). With the large red spring I could get to 18 psi easy and it was smoother operating. Similar with the large blue spring. I just put in the large red and the small blue together last night and will drive it today. That should get me where I want to be (adjustable from 18 to 22 or so psi boost). I talked to a good turbo guy here in Houston and he told me that you want to get as close as possible to your target boost with spring selection for the wastegate to work right. He also told me that the Chinese knockoff wastegates are junk. Mine basically works ok but I know for a fact that the metallurgy of the parts in the knockoff wastegate is very poor compared to the real deal TIAL units. My company has imported some items from China and the quality and metallurgy is terrible. Having said that I bought that downpipe and wastegate combo at the time because of cost. An American made downpipe and real TIAL 46 mm wastegate would have cost more than twice as much. Good luck!

I wish someone would step up and make a nice 3 inch down pipe with built in External gate here in America that we will know is a cared for product. I'm sure people will spend the money on it. I got the GN1 pipe and external gate and decided to send it back. I just wasn't 100% comfortable with it and stuck with a 3.5 inch internal gate which goes 18-24 psi no problem and no creep issues at all.

i had a problem with boost creep and no control with the manual type boost control,i bought an rjc boost controller,removed the other one,if you put a light spring in the wastegate to keep pressure on the valve let the rjc work the boost.if the spring is too light the pressure of the exaust pushed my wastegate open a little.works awesome now

I have one of these coming its now 2019 does anyone have advice on how to control boost right with the Wastegate they provide?

All the external gates are all based around the same idea and as long as they don’t leak it should work just fine . I have ran a gn1 gate with no issues. I believe the problem most guys have with boost control issues is because of the tiny hole that they expect to flow a bunch of hot exhaust gases. If you match the port to the wastegate piping you should have no issues controlling boost .it is just hard for hot exhaust gasses to stop and make a 90* turn so if you port the hole out and make it alil easier for the exhaust to bypass the turbine you would be amazed on how steady your boost is controlled .You can see how much I ported my housing to match with my gn1 downpipe .
E326E2DB-16C7-4F0A-B5D3-1169865BD1C5.jpeg

Attached you will see how small the wastegate hole is stock . I took the flap and put some grease on it bolted it up and closed it . That gave me a outline of what I should port out . I marked it and ported it alil smaller then the flap . With this setup there will be no boost control issues . It will work the same with a external gate

Attachments

• 5DD54708-EECB-434B-9B60-DDB04C383794.jpeg
    5DD54708-EECB-434B-9B60-DDB04C383794.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 39
  • FA725C8B-4C63-46B1-AB45-377F5B86118A.jpeg
    FA725C8B-4C63-46B1-AB45-377F5B86118A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 52694E14-E106-4894-8633-C13820A800E4.jpeg
    52694E14-E106-4894-8633-C13820A800E4.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 38
  • BC1A68CA-9365-4BC2-8860-43E62BF26910.jpeg
    BC1A68CA-9365-4BC2-8860-43E62BF26910.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • 989B67B3-8052-4225-85A4-3837DC2855E1.jpeg
    989B67B3-8052-4225-85A4-3837DC2855E1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • A09811AF-8DA9-450E-A3B0-7CF7A4923CAB.jpeg
    A09811AF-8DA9-450E-A3B0-7CF7A4923CAB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
DankGN Thank you for the info I may end up porting mine more I got my Turbo From Brian Bissonette He ported it out some but IM thinking after looking at yours It may need to go a bit bigger.

DankGN Thank you for the info I may end up porting mine more I got my Turbo From Brian Bissonette He ported it out some but IM thinking after looking at yours It may need to go a bit bigger.
It may have to but like I said just find a way to match it up and see how big the difference is . You basically want to make it easy for your hot exhaust to bypass the turbine. And with these housing they suck imo because of the extreme turn it has to make to bypass .

I ended up sending my DP to Jack Cotton he fabbed up a new section and put a TIAL Gate on it works fantastic!
Jack even sent a Follow up email to make sure all was well! Awesome Guy! Great job and Im very happy Now if I can just get this damn Return line for the turbo to stop seeping oil Ill be really happy!
Next a different set of wheels ! My Skinnies dont like all the winding roads around our new home gotta get street wheels and tires. Just dont want my unlowered T to look like a jacked up hippie ride!