GNX #298 on Ebay: PA reconstructed title

Here is some stuff from a local case:

Again, I reiterate that I do know PA's laws regarding altered or defaced VIN. My standing is based upon what I know of our local laws.

The ... vehicle in question since its impoundment has been inspected and it shows signs of having an altered or defaced [VIN]. Now, under [Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS) §§] 286-43 (4) and [-]44 (5) this subjects the vehicle to a summary forfeiture to the government because it is basically unlawful to be in possession of a vehicle or motor vehicle parts which -- on which the VIN number has been altered or defaced.

Quote:
Hawai`i Revised Statutes (HRS) § 286-43 (1993) provides:

It shall be unlawful for any person to wilfully deface, destroy, or alter the serial number, a component part number, or identification mark of any vehicle, so placed or stamped on any vehicle by the manufacturer for the purpose of identifying the vehicle or its component parts, nor shall any person place or stamp any serial, motor, or other number or mark upon a vehicle, except one assigned thereto by the director of finance.

section 2
This section does not prohibit the restoration by an owner of an original motor, or other mark or number, when the restoration is authorized in writing by the director of finance, nor prevent any manufacturer from placing in the ordinary course of business, numbers or marks upon new motor vehicles or new parts thereof.

Quote:
HRS § 286-44(a) (Supp. 2002) reads:
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a motor vehicle, a motor block, or any part thereof, knowing that the motor number, serial number, or manufacturer's number, placed on the same by the manufacturer for the purpose of identification, has been changed, altered, erased, or mutilated, for the purpose of changing the identity of the motor vehicle, motor, motor block, or any part thereof. All such motor vehicles, motor blocks, or parts from which the manufacturer's identification number has been removed, defaced, or altered shall be forfeited to the county where found and if not identified may be sold at public auction or destroyed. If identified, all persons having an interest in the motor vehicle, motor block, or part shall be notified, there shall be assigned a new registration number, and the motor vehicle, motor block, or part shall be returned to the owner entitled to possession.

great job dude.
but it still inst that easy.
now the next step is to define the legal meaning of altered or defaced in great detail.

now on the above "section 2" as I markedt it also needs to be defined. if I was in "the Island" these would be my arguments.

this is the big problem the police have and maybe why they haven't moved or will not move on this case.

I am not an expert
but my dad owned a body shop for 35 years and I am involved in at least 1-3 restorations a year (as a hobby) so I see some of the things that are done and that are common practice.

when and if stolen parts are involved I take a completely deferent stand.

but in this case it doesn't look like it's the case so I will defend it as such.

now what do you consider a frame replacement "used frame lets say from an N/a regal” onto a GN, is that a miss-representation should the car no longer be considered a GN.
what about a complete fire wall replacement on a GN is that a
miss-representation. should it no longer be a GN.?
What about buying a used N/A regal dash from a turbobuick vendor and putting it on a GN is that an example of a miss-represented Vehicle.

this where the problem comes into play.

FWIW, The parties involved NEVER got the truck back.

The insurance company that paid out the claim did, and subsequently put the truck up for auction. A friend owns the truck now. It has a new issued VIN from the city and county of honolulu, which is affixed to the A pillar.

"Section 2" says:
when the restoration is authorized in writing by the director of finance

I have known only a couple of individuals who have gone this far to make things "legal"

Used parts are fine... its when their origins are tainted that this causes an issue. Replacing an entire body shell AND the frame hardly makes this GNX a "Reconstructed vehicle"
It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a motor vehicle, a motor block, or any part thereof, knowing that the motor number, serial number, or manufacturer's number, placed on the same by the manufacturer for the purpose of identification, has been changed, altered, erased, or mutilated, for the purpose of changing the identity of the motor vehicle, motor

"For the purpose of changing the identity of the motor vehicle" is this what was not done? Taking the tags and the motor, and the rearend, and putting into another body shell to conceal the identity of not one, but two vehicles.

You can swap the dash... the VIN is not affixed to the dash, but to the firewall itself. swapping The dash does not alter what the vehicle is.

As far as "defaced, or altered VIN", it is simple. If you cant read it as it should be, then there is a problem. often times, VIN is ground off on imports, (firewall) or floorpan (VWs), and when all the VINs do not match, then the vehicle is impounded because the VIN has been defaced/altered.

i cant believe they taped the windows and painted:eek:
all that work and they painted with the glass in:rolleyes:
f'n amateurs