GNX #298 on Ebay: PA reconstructed title

GDNF2ET said:
What is the result that is trying to be accomplished here ? GNX 298 is gone, the parts were put on a clean looking GN and that car became the best result that could be had of GNX 298..If I owned the car, I would represent it as GNX 298 and have a hellava good story to go with it..Its obviously complicated to give this car a legal second chance..Would everyone be happier if it was doused with gas, set adrift on a raft and had archers shoot arrows at it ?

The issue is not that the GNX specific parts were put into a Clean GN body, but the fact that the VIN was swapped to conceal the identity of the real car (both of them actually)

Who knows what the VIN was for the Body they put the VIN into? Was the body stolen? Who honestly knows? The VIN was swapped to maximize profit, and nothing more.

This is the information age and those pictures fromthe website are already stored in many hard drives across the world. Whenever GNX298 comes up for sale, the story will always follow it.

exactly it has nothing to do with the fact that a gn was used to rebuild a totaled car its the dishonest approach by the seller claiming the car to be authentic when it actually is not and make you wonder how many other cars he has done this with.

nailheadpowered said:
exactly it has nothing to do with the fact that a gn was used to rebuild a totaled car its the dishonest approach by the seller claiming the car to be authentic when it actually is not and make you wonder how many other cars he has done this with.

Here's a thought:

What if that "Donor Car" that was used to rebuild this car was someone's stolen toy? Two crimes have then been committed on the same vehicle.

Removal of the original VIN to conceal it's original identity, and Removing of the VIN from the GNX to conceal the fact that it had been totalled (despite those great pictures in the shop)

look at it this way the car was sold and now the new owner of "298" holds a title to the now deceased 298 but in his garage is a car with no title and no original vin to possible secure a title to the car

if the car were discovered on the highway it could be ordered crushed since no ownership can be proved since the vin was tampered with
thats the facts and is why so many find this to be a problem

now if the car that was sold had a good clean title and 298 parts were swapped onto it without the vin being swapped it would be no issue and the new owner could proudly say he has a GN with almost all of 298 parts on it and could even present it as 298 reborn but still have the vin to show it wasnt born as 298 , this i dont see an issue with and the car would have probably sold for more as a clean GN with true GNX boltons forever holding the value of a GN and then some and may have even brought money near some real GNXs in lesser condition .

All these idiots had to do was actually reconstruct the dam car.
Buy a beat up GN
Fill the torch tanks
Get a measuring tape
Pick up a sawzall with some new blades
Put the car in the back of the shop and six months from the day they got the car it would look good as new.
And 95% of people that looked at it wouldn’t have a clue as to what happened to it.

All these idiots had to do was actually reconstruct the dam car.
Buy a beat up GN
Fill the torch tanks
Get a measuring tape
Pick up a sawzall with some new blades
Put the car in the back of the shop and six months from the day they got the car it would look good as new.
And 95% of people that looked at it wouldn’t have a clue as to what happened to it.

That would have been a lot of Sawzall blades... did you get a good look at the frame in the pics?

It would have been easier to install the GNX rear suspension into another frame (as they did) than to try and fix the original frame... And the C-Vin is halfway down the framerail anyway...

anything is fixable :eek: I had the rear half of a 427 Cobra years ago(car had hit a bridge abuttment :eek: )... 15 years later someone located the rest of the bones of the car and rebuilt it :cool:

No CVIN on early cobras, so not an issue... or just about anything prior to 1970

But to take a complete GN and then put all the GNX stuff into it (including the VIN) can be misinterpeted in too many ways.

sure there was! My father in laws 64 Fords have VINs and so did ny 65 Z16 and El camino

Legally rebuilding a car out of spare parts is a complicated process. Keep in mind I said LEGALLY. There's a certain % of used parts that are allowed on a totaled car. Receipts need to be presented and it CANNOT be titled as a Buick Regal. It has to be inspected by a police officer with all receipts presented for the vehicle's major components, verification of the VINs and then it's issued a salvage title. Obviously this rarely happens since the value of the car would drop significantly.

It's unbelievable this body shop would document and present a web page to the world clearly demonstration their FELONIES by swapping VINs and representing the car as the real deal.

Here's a VERY GOOD read on this issue:
CLICK ME

sure there was! My father in laws 64 Fords have VINs and so did ny 65 Z16 and El camino

not VIN, but CVIN (Confidential VIN) used for vehicle theft verification....

We all understand that in 68-69 the vin moved from the A pillar to the top of the dash (or somewhere visible from outside the car)

I've dealt with a large number of early GM cars, and the first time I actually saw a CVIN was on a 72 Chevelle, then on a 73 Camaro. Both in similar locations...

anything is fixable :eek: I had the rear half of a 427 Cobra years ago(car had hit a bridge abuttment :eek: )... 15 years later someone located the rest of the bones of the car and rebuilt it :cool:

I think this one is a goner though. It's been posted all over the 'Net, but they're my pics. A friend of mine was the insurance adjuster and I scanned the article from the local paper. The rest of the story is here: Drunk Drivin' GN Owner

Regarding rebuildable rules, they vary from state to state. I've reconstructed a few PA cars and you can re-title them as the original vehicle (in this case a Buick Regal I guess). However, when I applied for a reconstructed title in NJ I had the option of calling it whatever I wanted to my title says "Buick Grand National". I had to put the car through a top secret inspection by the state, which GNX #298 would certainly have failed. The took the car, pulled it in a garage, closed the door and told me to come back in a couple of hours.

Jim

Attachments

• gnwreck8.jpg
    gnwreck8.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 383
  • buickwreck5.jpg
    buickwreck5.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 355
I think this one is a goner though. It's been posted all over the 'Net, but they're my pics. A friend of mine was the insurance adjuster and I scanned the article from the local paper. The rest of the story is here: Drunk Drivin' GN Owner

Regarding rebuildable rules, they vary from state to state. I've reconstructed a few PA cars and you can re-title them as the original vehicle (in this case a Buick Regal I guess). However, when I applied for a reconstructed title in NJ I had the option of calling it whatever I wanted to my title says "Buick Grand National". I had to put the car through a top secret inspection by the state, which GNX #298 would certainly have failed. The took the car, pulled it in a garage, closed the door and told me to come back in a couple of hours.

Jim

I remember THAT one... So are you saying you rebuilt THAT wreck into another car?

I remember THAT one... So are you saying you rebuilt THAT wreck into another car?

No, sorry - my post was confusing. My car wasn't hurt very badly at all, but it was a total. It was hit behind both doors.

Attachments

• REARDAMAGE1.jpg
    REARDAMAGE1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 326
No, sorry - my post was confusing. My car wasn't hurt very badly at all, but it was a total. It was hit behind both doors.

Ouch... reminds me of my 78 Malibu Landau 2dr. Was hit on drivers 1/4 and the impact shifted the entire rear clip over and buckled the passenger 1/4 as well. Insurance gave me 3x what I paid for it a year before.

Ouch... reminds me of my 78 Malibu Landau 2dr. Was hit on drivers 1/4 and the impact shifted the entire rear clip over and buckled the passenger 1/4 as well. Insurance gave me 3x what I paid for it a year before.

Yeah, it was 'swayed' over in the back. That's what the insurance adjuster called it. Both 1/4s were pushed to the right. The decklid survived. I had the frame pulled on a bit and put new 1/4s on it. It didn't need much work really. The adjuster must've been a buddy of the insured because he wrote it for about twice as much work as was really needed. The car didn't really deserve to be totaled.

Jim

I would try and save it. With the the computer frame straiteners.I would think,form what I know. That if the motor is not hurt. Do it. Had my GN stolen in 97' Still look at pictures of it. And I made out finding a 2,100, Org mi. car.
Now has 4,583. Give it some thought. Juat my .02 cents. Ay way tr and have a happy holiday.................Rob

I would try and save it. With the the computer frame straiteners.I would think,form what I know. That if the motor is not hurt. Do it. Had my GN stolen in 97' Still look at pictures of it. And I made out finding a 2,100, Org mi. car.
Now has 4,583. Give it some thought. Juat my .02 cents. Ay way tr and have a happy holiday.................Rob

Man I am just adding to the confusion on this thread. I repaired the car back in '99. It's fine now. I used it as an example of a PA salvage title car, that's all.

Jim

Frame machines are to straighten a "tweaked" frame... not recreate it from scrap.... have you seen the images?

( Assuming you are talking about the GNX this thread is about )