GNX #298 on Ebay: PA reconstructed title

Back in 89-90 I was really jonesing to buy a GNX. I kept track of all those I saw for sale during that period from ads in Hemmings, AutoWeek, etc... I found that list today. It has over 100 ads that I noted the GNX#, mileage and asking price. I thought someday, when I eventually would buy one, that info might have been helpful. There were GNX's for sale all of the time with the average asking price then of 30 to 40k.

I made notes on ones where it was mentioned that they were wrecked or damaged. #173 was stolen, wrecked and repaired per Kirban's newsletter. #087 (Hemmings 2/90) & #100 (Hemmings 3/89) were advertised as "wrecked" in Kim Motor Co.'s ads in Hemmings. I wonder what ever happened to those GNX's 16 years later?

I called on GNX #056 in 1989. The owner lived near me and said it had 15,000 miles but was mint. He said they simply had enjoyed driving the car and had even taken it on a cross counrty trip. A year later, I saw the same GNX 056 advertised for sale by a different owner - only this time it had only 4,000 miles. Hmmmmm!!!!

I never get to buy a GNX but did buy a GSX in 1990.

http://www.amsleysvw.com/images/GNX/

should show you the list of images... good series of pics, but if you look at the website, there is no listing of the GNX project there, yet you can find the pics.

If for some reason the pics are taken down, please let me know... I saved the whole series on my comp.

I'm trying to understand why a VW oriented shop would be involved in the "Rebuilding" of a GN/GNX.

i know where there is an #056 , its a great car low mileage (21K) original owner and has many gnx parts.. but it isnt real
wouldnt surprise me if there were a few # 056's out there

if this car were sold for 30K the buyer would be getting a great deal and have one very nice gn clone

if #298 had just had its parts put onto the doner car i beleive it would have sold for even more knowing with all the parts came from one retired GNX it would have went on known as #298 reborn and may have even brought more than even some well done clones which recently brought bids upwards of 33K or so on ebay .

this assumes the doner car had a clean title history which is the problem f 238 the buyer now holds a title to a reconstucted car but the actual vehicle he has posession of has no title due to the tag swap so no proof of ownership.

Has ANYONE reported this car yet to the Pennsylvania State Police? It's a FELONY to swap VIN tags. It's a FELONY to misrepresent a car with swapped VIN tags.

Conducting business like this guy undermines ALL OUR CARS and affects us all. If no one's reported this yet I WILL.

I see you found the post! I'm suprised someone has'nt nailed this guy for that vin swap! I guess the state police are to busy in PA to bother! :mad:

Yes I found it and AM APPALLED. I'll look into this further tomorrow.... If the new owner is in another state and the car crosses state lines the Feds may want to know as well.

The PA State Police contact info I provided is accurate.
I've already got several dollars in long distance phone calls trying to track down the appropriate contact.
When I called the number, it was after 5pm and the officer had already left for the day.

I say go for it... Make the call and let the State Police decide if what was done is legal or illegal. :cool:

I might also suggest having several photos and links available and ready to email the officer. It might make his job a little easier.

I'll bet they won't be bothered :rolleyes: it's just and old Buick :p ... hell a 427 Cobra was on Ebay a few months ago that has the same VIN as another ... both cars are still around and thats a $600-800k car :eek:

It is probably out of the jurisdiction of the PA state police. They may provide advice as to who else you may be able to contact, but it's a federal crime and should be reported at that level. PENNDOT might be interested, too, but I'm not sure which of their statutes have been violated.

Jim

Na that's a PA state police issue. They handle all that stuff. Inspection stations etc.. They are big on that stuff so I'm sure if someone contacted them they would be on it. The local cops wont even bother with it.

Movies

TT/A1233 said:
Yes I found it and AM APPALLED. I'll look into this further tomorrow.... If the new owner is in another state and the car crosses state lines the Feds may want to know as well.
Thanks for the movies........they were great.

GNX 233 said:
Thanks for the movies........they were great.
No problem...enjoy.

I showed this to one of my partners who worked auto theft and he couldn't believe what he was seeing either. His wife is a special prosecutor in our auto theft section and has all the websites/documentation on this car. She will forward the info to her contacts in the US Attorney's Office and Pennsylvania authorities.

I'll keep you updated.

Thats great as i called the local authorities in that guys town to report it and believe it or not the officer stated that he had his car repaired at that same shop and knew the owner selling the car and did not believe there was any wrong doing, when i asked him outright about the illegal vin swap he got silent and said he didn't know about that area :rolleyes: yea right! if anyone wants the name and # of the officer i think i still have it. email me at nailheadpoweredgs@sbcglobal.net

nailheadpowered said:
Thats great as i called the local authorities in that guys town to report it and believe it or not the officer stated that he had his car repaired at that same shop and knew the owner selling the car and did not believe there was any wrong doing, when i asked him outright about the illegal vin swap he got silent and said he didn't know about that area :rolleyes: yea right! if anyone wants the name and # of the officer i think i still have it. email me at nailheadpoweredgs@sbcglobal.net

I figured as much. Some of those smaller towns in PA don't really have the time to bother. PA State Police will jump all over it. should be intresting to see what the outcome is! It might be long gone by now!

I forgot to mention it's a 10 year FELONY (here in MI) to switch VIN tags on a vehicle as is the case with this FAKE GNx, it's called "Misrepresenting a Vehicle Title". Pennsylvania state law should be substantially similar.

Again, I'll update this thread when I hear something. Should be in the next few days or early next week.

What is the result that is trying to be accomplished here ? GNX 298 is gone, the parts were put on a clean looking GN and that car became the best result that could be had of GNX 298..If I owned the car, I would represent it as GNX 298 and have a hellava good story to go with it..Its obviously complicated to give this car a legal second chance..Would everyone be happier if it was doused with gas, set adrift on a raft and had archers shoot arrows at it ?