GNX #298 on Ebay: PA reconstructed title

a side note

is that the correct "tweeter" in that pic? I thought the dash speaker was a 3 1/2'' speaker like on gn's that GM called a "tweeter",or is this something specific to the GNX? i know im supposed to the stereo man,but i never worked on a GNX.

garyk1970 said:
is that the correct "tweeter" in that pic? I thought the dash speaker was a 3 1/2'' speaker like on gn's that GM called a "tweeter",or is this something specific to the GNX? i know im supposed to the stereo man,but i never worked on a GNX.
Concert sound.

my point was that ive never seen a true tweeter in a gn or gnx,is it an 87 thing or just a gnx thing?,i know what concert sound is ever since it came out back in 83/84 in the lesabre/park ave....

I think you guys may be a little over critical of this so called damage? My wife would describe that as "oh honey I had a little fender bender today" Type damage.LOL

Personally I liked it better as a convertible before he rebodied it.

garyk1970 said:
my point was that ive never seen a true tweeter in a gn or gnx,is it an 87 thing or just a gnx thing?,i know what concert sound is ever since it came out back in 83/84 in the lesabre/park ave....

That's what my 87 GN had, and it had concert sound. My 87 T didn't have concert sound, and it had a regular speaker.

youre missing what im asking....every concert sound setup ive ever seen had the 5 1/4 paper cone speakers in the doors,and 3 1/2 paper cone speakers in the dash.in the pics above are true soft dome tweeters not 3 1/2 paper cone speakers that i have seen.are those custom speakers or an 1987 year thing or gnx thing or both?

also my 87 gn has paper cone speakers too.not those better dome tweets.

yullose said:
Actually... If it has an "R" (reconstructed) title, I think the state of PA will issue a new vin number, so there may not be the issue of vin swapping at hand. I believe it also states something to the effect that if more than XX% of the original car is not rebuilt, an "R" title is required.

I could be wrong, but that info 'sorta sticks in my head. :D

No they do not issue a new vin. The vin is supposed to stay with the car for it's life. Re-bodies are a very grey area that is becoming more prevelant with the collector car market pricing the way it is. It brings out all the vultures preying on the ignorant.

Hidden Frame Vin

L78-Kidd said:
I am going to go look at the car this weekend, Does anyone know where the hidden VIN is on the frame. If so please PM or email me with the info. I have been in the collision Business for over 25 years so I know what to look for as far as repairs go. The car will make a nice driver if it can be had cheap enough.
Thanks
70-SS_RS-L78@Comcast.net
On the top of the frame rail right about were the front of the drivers seat would be located. You can use a snake mirror to see it.

GNX 233 said:
On the top of the frame rail right about were the front of the drivers seat would be located. You can use a snake mirror to see it.

I think that part of the frame was pretty well mangled in the pics I saw!! :eek:

If you look at the link to the sellers website, you can see pics of the donor car. At no point does it show any collision repairs.

All he did was take another GN and swapped all the GNX stuff over to it. Including the Vin number.

Then he'll find the VIN of the "built" GN on the frame rail, not the VIN of the "parts" GNX...

Then what will he do?

Why bother to look, I say....

If he thinks 23K is a "cheap driver" he's gonna buy it anyway... :cool:

But the issues of the 'legality' of VIN swapping (all but the frame VIN) remain.
It'll be a very nice GN made into a GNX clone by using all the salvageable parts from the carcass of #298...
Just My Opinion...

garyk1970 said:
youre missing what im asking....every concert sound setup ive ever seen had the 5 1/4 paper cone speakers in the doors,and 3 1/2 paper cone speakers in the dash.in the pics above are true soft dome tweeters not 3 1/2 paper cone speakers that i have seen.are those custom speakers or an 1987 year thing or gnx thing or both?

also my 87 gn has paper cone speakers too.not those better dome tweets.

Concert sound is concert sound--nothing different with 87 or the gnx....that is aftermarket stuff.

Geoff

hmmmmm..thinkin here .. I have a lot of those speakers from parts cars here .. I would say they are GM :confused:

somebody needs to bid it up to $20,000 so when you sort by price it'll show up on top.....dont worry, i wont make you actually pay the $20k :D