Gnx from world of motorworks piece of junk!

This is the engine that the Poston dash is connected to. :smile: If you have not seen it already you can see the complete engine build in the stage II section with my new bracket warrior at the end on the other site (TurboBuicks.com).

Hideous, just hideous...:biggrin:

how good is the lighting in an actual GNX?
personally, i think the GNX gauge layout is kind of silly. it just doesn't look right with the tach sitting just offset from the column like that. i don't know what they were thinking when they did that- it would have made moresense to place the speedo and tach in the middle to each side of the column, with the other gauges to the outside where they belong.. but that was the layout used on every 80's Mustang that was ever built, so i guess Buick/ASC just had to be different for the sake of being different.

There is no way to make the speedo have the same amount of light as the others. I recently installed one of these POS. I disassembled the speedo and painted the inside of housing WHITE. That helped some. I posted my phone # for Otto to offer what I knew but he never got in touch with me. I am suprised people are still buying them after I posted my displeasure with them. Just a thought but what use is a 15 lb. boost gage in todays world?

This thing looks like a realistic reproduction-------ever sit in a real GNX at night------i have several and here are the facts------tach and speedo have very different illumination levels just like the copy-----the letters do not match for type style or paint color------bezels line up poorly ie different in every car to some degree-----main connetor looks like it was made in a kindergarden art class-------- on some cars the seals around the turn signals leak so much light that its hard to tell which light is really on--------fuel gauge fogs often and the 15 psi gauge is a joke--------dash bezel is so chopped up that it rattles from being so weak in places-------and judging from the chop job inside the dash it appears that it was not a very good fit either--------next time i have a real GNX dash apart i will take some pics--------they are buicks and you have to love them to overlook their faults and keep them.............RC

i second

This thing looks like a realistic reproduction-------ever sit in a real GNX at night------i have several and here are the facts------tach and speedo have very different illumination levels just like the copy-----the letters do not match for type style or paint color------bezels line up poorly ie different in every car to some degree-----main connetor looks like it was made in a kindergarden art class-------- on some cars the seals around the turn signals leak so much light that its hard to tell which light is really on--------fuel gauge fogs often and the 15 psi gauge is a joke--------dash bezel is so chopped up that it rattles from being so weak in places-------and judging from the chop job inside the dash it appears that it was not a very good fit either--------next time i have a real GNX dash apart i will take some pics--------they are buicks and you have to love them to overlook their faults and keep them.............RC

thats right R.C. i said it in the other tread otto started . you are not unlike the boys at A.S.C. back in 1987 these dashs have had these issues since day one . and its no different now . you really have to take the time to do it right and then it still has the lighting issues my real one has .. so with that said you have one just as good as an origanal .. and thats the real deal ..

All the concern about a clone...the WOMW GNX dash is basically an EXACT reproduction of the original GNX. I think he offered it because there was an awful lot of requests for the OEM look - along with the OEM boost gauge. Granted, it was not a good choice from the start, but owell, if you want originality, you got it. Those gauges are all Stewart Warner, which is what ASC used - down to the actual continued production of them.

Now if you don't like the original gauges (and the same poor alignment as was the OEM) then I'm pretty sure you could order just the plate and bezel, and make your own. Be for-warned though; the wiring harness supplied by WOMW won't fit any other gauges except the OEM SW gauges, so you're on your own with that. The connecting bulkhead that attaches to the car's wiring, however, is a top quality injection-molded part, much better than the "poured rubber mold" ones they used on the original 547 cars (shameless plug intended). Also, the telltale indicators are now high-brightness LED's instead of the fuse-style light bulbs. And, the turn signal/high beam indicators are also high brightness LED's.

I know that quite a bit of attention was given to a suitable alignment of the gauges when Paul first approached the project, but you need to understand that GM/ASC never did get it exactly right, even back in the day. So the alignment problem is inherited. And, Stewart Warner, well, they're the same Stewart Warner that we started with. They still can't get the spec's exactly where they should be with any kind of reliable uniformity.

Big thanks richard and john!!!

Man i'm i glad you 2 guys chimed in. I have this entire unit on my desk,just waiting to install it, i've just been too busy with other projects.. One guy said the fuel guage is incorrect,but paul said there will be no problem(per jay at jays gn) last year,canut and i was considering taking my car down to richards(tb nationals) and do the install there.plans did not work out though..hey.. Any pointers will be greatly welcomed...i guess i'll have my work cut out for me..(if it don't fit... Get a bigger hammer!!!!) thanks guys...

gnx dash

Wow, am I glad I read this,I have looked at them before and i will say they sure do look nice,however that is alot of money:eek::eek: and for that price that thing should drop in like butter with no modification needed and function properly.I will definitely be building my own now thanks for shareing your experience &sorry for your misfortune. I know homebuild will never be a gnx dash but at least I will feel better at night knowing I did't drop that kind of money for something that does not function as it should.JMO

Wow, am I glad I read this,I have looked at them before and i will say they sure do look nice,however that is alot of money:eek::eek: and for that price that thing should drop in like butter with no modification needed and function properly.I will definitely be building my own now thanks for shareing your experience &sorry for your misfortune. I know homebuild will never be a gnx dash but at least I will feel better at night knowing I did't drop that kind of money for something that does not function as it should.JMO

but they do function as they should- just like the parts that ASC put in the original cars 23 years ago..

dash

All the concern about a clone...the WOMW GNX dash is basically an EXACT reproduction of the original GNX. I think he offered it because there was an awful lot of requests for the OEM look - along with the OEM boost gauge. Granted, it was not a good choice from the start, but owell, if you want originality, you got it. Those gauges are all Stewart Warner, which is what ASC used - down to the actual continued production of them.

Now if you don't like the original gauges (and the same poor alignment as was the OEM) then I'm pretty sure you could order just the plate and bezel, and make your own. Be for-warned though; the wiring harness supplied by WOMW won't fit any other gauges except the OEM SW gauges, so you're on your own with that. The connecting bulkhead that attaches to the car's wiring, however, is a top quality injection-molded part, much better than the "poured rubber mold" ones they used on the original 547 cars (shameless plug intended). Also, the telltale indicators are now high-brightness LED's instead of the fuse-style light bulbs. And, the turn signal/high beam indicators are also high brightness LED's.

I know that quite a bit of attention was given to a suitable alignment of the gauges when Paul first approached the project, but you need to understand that GM/ASC never did get it exactly right, even back in the day. So the alignment problem is inherited. And, Stewart Warner, well, they're the same Stewart Warner that we started with. They still can't get the spec's exactly where they should be with any kind of reliable uniformity.

Never owned a GNX and never really looked @ one closely. What you say if true but the problem here is these guys are doing their own install. I assume when you bought a new GNX, the dash was already installed. The frustration was paid for in the price of car. You wireing instructions are fine. It's the lack of comunication, no dash install instructions and the fit SUCKS. How many do you think would sell if the seller told the buyer of all the problems he is going to have. These have been out long enough to have gotten rid of many of the problems. For the $,, the fit, the lack of instructions--not a good value. IMO

A plug on John's (Caspers) end, His instructions and quality was a great addition. THe LED indicators are real nice.

A major part of the problem can definetly be addressed in the manufacturer process, If the gauge holes where moved over and the
bezel height was cut down, the fit would have been very well and no complaint would have been made by myself.

It is very close but he GNX used a different speed(Had a differnt installed height) this is why the bezel sat terrible and also why hte light would bleed over from the signal lights,i cut this one down so this was not a problem.

So when are you making one? You are THE prime suspect!;)

...Now if you don't like the original gauges (and the same poor alignment as was the OEM) then I'm pretty sure you could order just the plate and bezel, and make your own...
Yep... You can get a partial kit and use custom gauges.

15.jpg

Not to get off the topic entirely but to further emphasize what RC said about how ASC assembled the dashes originally. They were under the gun to get the GNXs built. Heck it was difficult for them to find suitable GNs to convert that had at least decent paint on them.

If anyone who has a real GNX and has ever removed any of the front flares you would be amazed at how hacked up the fenders are underneath. I think RC at one point since he has several GNXs even has notice the louvers vary from side to side on one of his cars.

Dash lighting has made tremendous strides since the 1980s.....one reason we offer LED set ups for the stock analog dashes for us old guys.

Being in the GTO business we reproduced years ago the very very crude 1964-1965 GTO tail pipe splitters which was basically rolled tack welded stainless welded to two crushed halves. First we had them made better using tube material and chrome. Never sold well. Then we made them exact even down to the same crude design....been selling them since 1980 to every major GTO supplier.....they retail for over $225 a set and you only see about 1/3 of the tip when installed properly. (Toollng to make the stamped halves in the USA back in 1980 cost us ten grand). At the time original GTO splitters where selling for $300 to $400 a set!

Good points are made on this thread and I apologize if I got slightly off topic.

denniskirban@yahoo.com