Got a carb turbo torn apart and

How do I know the difference between a 7pin and 4pin? I do not have any ECM plugs on mine. Its just a standard NA pre computer control distributor from what I know.

The wierd thing is no matter where I had my BTM retard set to it would detonate. So there is a small chance it isnt hooked up I dont know. Ive gotta check.

And Id build a knock guage if I knew what parts I need. I know I need a senor, guage and ECM module but where do I get the module? And will it even work with that stuff or is there other stuff? Im not aware of a Non ECM car having any knock guage.

Pull the cap and rotor and look at how many wires attach to the module. 4 wires is a 4 pin ect. What is your initial timing set at first off.

How much advance does the ignition timing have?

Get the directions for the BTM from MSD and make sure you've got it hooked up right. You can download the directions from their website.

You can get an MSD knock guage with sensor from full throttle and you really do need one.

I checked and I have a 4pin unit. 2 pins in, 2 pins out. I have the initial timing set at 15 degrees which is right out of the book.

Im not sure what my advance is. Ill check.

Actually the MSD was unplugged, oops! Ive got it set to .5 degrees and it runs great. Also got my alky hooked up today, and now I boost creap up to 11 PSI. Just running -30 degree washer fluid now, might order some methanol and mix it with some distilled water to get a higher ratio of methanol.

Overall it runs smooth and it suprising how good it runs when everything is working. :eek: Not as fast as the 09 Challenger RT I rode in a few days ago but it doesnt cost over $40,000 either. :D

Actually the MSD was unplugged, oops! Ive got it set to .5 degrees and it runs great. Also got my alky hooked up today, and now I boost creap up to 11 PSI. Just running -30 degree washer fluid now, might order some methanol and mix it with some distilled water to get a higher ratio of methanol.

:rolleyes: That'll teach you to check everything before a drive.:biggrin: Glad you got it worked out and I'd still say check total advance just so you have an idea of what it's doing.:smile:

Overall it runs smooth and it suprising how good it runs when everything is working. :eek: Not as fast as the 09 Challenger RT I rode in a few days ago but it doesnt cost over $40,000 either. :D

your right about the challenger rt. tomorrow I was going to do a 20 psi run down my street with alky. everyone on the block already thinks its a drag strip. The record speed caught by the local cop was 65mph in a 25 zone. Yea everyone thinks it ok to do 40 + in a residential street with kids playing.

my friend did 85 in a 15 once. Not bragging, I was pissed as hell since I was in the passenger seat:mad:

I hear ya. There's people that go flyin by my house. Always kids playing. I don't allow my daughter anywhere near the street because of it

Well I drove to the track today to watch the races. No, I didnt race. It was bracket cars and 7 and 8 second cars only. No problems, got about 300 miles on the rebuild now and it runs great. Very few leaks, stays right between 180 and 190. AC blows at 42 degrees, starts everytime. Couldnt be much happier. Now if only my front panel alignment was better and have the thing buffed out it would look about a 8.5 or so.

Alky works great. Goes in at 5PSI and when it spools up to 8PSI or so and starts creeping up to 10PSI it starts to pull good for a 2.41 gear.

I'm tempted to turn the wastegate up to 10PSI or so and see what happens.

Well today, I did my 18-20-psi run. I have to say the power was great! The way I set my wastegate up on the 301, I was only running 4-5 psi of boost.:redface: Serves me for not putting a boost gauge on the car sooner. So now, I can really feel the power. The 301 is much better than I thought. If I would have been running 8psi I would have thought the 301 was a wise investment. I have my alky kit setup and my home made ram air system. Remember I show my car so I have to have the stuff remove in a hurry. I welded a collar to the back of the head light bucket and put dryer ducting up to a stock bonnet. I am using that foam air filter stuff where the headlight would be. The good thing about this is I can remove it all in 10 mins or so.

What kinda gas and alky are you running to run 20PSI hot air?

The modified 301 turbo cuts a lot of BS and detonation out Jason. It's all in the timing and fuel, or maybe not.:biggrin: Faster spool and less heat means you can run more boost, not only at a lower level but at a higher level as well.:cool:

I take it that you liked the new turbo then?:biggrin: Did your tires survive or did they go up in smoke.:eek:

i love the new turbo. last time some one asked if it was worth it i said no. that was because i was only running 4 psi. now with alky it runs great. i have it set at 8 for the street now so the power is still good. not as good as a 20 psi but still good.

screw it man, run it balls out all the time, why not? When I had my car at a car show with the homemade alky kit, no one even noticed it was there. It's all about hiding the wires and finding a good mounting point for the tank.

screw it man, run it balls out all the time, why not? When I had my car at a car show with the homemade alky kit, no one even noticed it was there. It's all about hiding the wires and finding a good mounting point for the tank.

you might be right. i just dont want to push my luck.

Nah dude it's all good. As long as you don't have knock you aren't going to hurt anything. I ran 22lbs and some timing all last summer. Just gotta watch for when the temps dip down. You got it, just as well enjoy it and kick some ass:cool:

i love the new turbo. last time some one asked if it was worth it i said no. that was because i was only running 4 psi. now with alky it runs great. i have it set at 8 for the street now so the power is still good. not as good as a 20 psi but still good.

It should spool much quicker and it shouldn't be an issue if you turn it up to 12-15 PSI normally Matt. Just don't run out of alky and you'll be good.:biggrin: