Got a carb turbo torn apart and

He's running 2.41's and a three speed guys. If he gets the 3.08 or 3.23 gears in it then it will spool better.

Car will leave a foot of rubber when I brake boost it to 3PSI. It has a stock converter and 2.41's. The gears kill the car. It hits hard and spools fast when its over 35 but it just doesnt want to spool until the motor starts to spin. I can litterally idle around town at 1200 RPM and be going 25 MPH.

The one thing thats possible is that I still don't have my PECV hooked up so its possible its too rich and leaves a lot of the fuel un ignited.

And for the bad news. Got back from the Carcraft show, the bad thing is the car is sitting 150 miles away with no spark. I was just going when for some reason the car just died. No missing before, going 70 on the interstate and just cut out. For some reason the signal wire to the BTM box got pulled out. I pushed the wire back in and no start. Theres fuel, power to the cap, rotor is turning, everything works like it should. But theres no spark. Disconnected the MSD box by wiring the signal wire to the C- port on the cap like it was from GM to make sure the MSD box isnt fried and nothing. Put a new ignition module in and nothing. Going to pick it up and haul it home on a trailer, first time it hasnt drove somewhere since 2 years ago. :mad:

Dont know if the signal wire getting pulled out fried something else in the distributor but its got a new module, wired without the MSD BTM and its getting power so it should run, but it doesnt.

Great Saturday, piss poor Sunday.

No. Picking it up tomorrow so Ill throw a pickup coil at it, see what it does, then a coil, then we will see what happens.

Ive got a few pics of a never installed 301 turbo and GNX 001 from the GM tent at Car craft though.

Post the pics then.:biggrin:

Take the coil out of the cap and look at where the button sits. If it's blue that's most likely the problem. The pick up will require removal of the distributor.

Put coil in, didn't start. Checked my wiring for about the 15th time and it was all fine. One last ditch attempt to start and it fired great. Don't know if the coil was bad or not. I did the tests on it and it checked as bad but I checked the new one and it checked bad but it runs. :rolleyes:

Yeah thats a possibility. I get 12 volts to the cap but maybe as soon as it starts cranking the amps probably get so low that it just doesnt have the power.

Right now the BTM is disconnected so I can rule that out.

Pull the coil cover off so you can get to the leads to the coil. While someone else cranks the engine touch both leads into the coil with a test light and see if it flashes. If it flashes on both leads and the engine doesn't start then it's a coil. If it doesn't flash then it's the pick up. If there's no light coming on then it the power source.

Could it also be...

the distribtor pickup? im not sure if its got an HEI igniton. Ive had my car stranded many atimes because of a simple 15 dollar part.

Well, the car is back up and running at 100%! Woo!

Ive also been without a puter for a week, but im back to normal now.

I swapped the modules out and what do you know, it ran. Had the issue where the BTM wouldnt let the car idle under 1400 RPM. Couldnt figure it out, Had good voltage, would run through the jumper cable everything. I threw the old module in from when I replaced it back in July thinking it was bad when I got stranded due to a bad coil and its all good now.

If you have MSD BTM issues, its possible that your module doesnt put out enough power to run the BTM. I had a Napa echlin one in there. I really want to turn it up to 11 PSI but I dont think the trans can take it. It pulls from 40-85 HARD. 0-40 not so much. Damn airplane gears!

Since I'm going to be using a lot of MSD parts on my car I've been trying to find an MSD modual for mine. Haven't found one yet but if you do tell me so we both can get one. Mines a 7 pin though.:frown: I can get 4 pin all day.

Since I'm going to be using a lot of MSD parts on my car I've been trying to find an MSD modual for mine. Haven't found one yet but if you do tell me so we both can get one. Mines a 7 pin though.:frown: I can get 4 pin all day.
I've found them before and didn't mention myself as my project is computer-less, But I can now as others need to info.
Pertronix part# D2001
Davis Unified Ignition Part# 000333
Accel Part# 35363

Wel at least there's some 7 pin modules out there. Looks like MSD isn't making them any more and there's no upgrades for the 5 pin units at all.:mad:

I ran the car on my home made dragstrip out at our farm this weekend. Ran A 16.72 at 86 MPH. Barlely just shifts into 3rd at 80 haha. Just made one pass and thats on a road with not much traction and a cell phone as the timing system. It shows the car runs absolutely no slower than that and thats about it. Brake boosted up to about 5 and spun 10 feet or so. 60 foot time has to be in the 2.8's or so. Trans also has the lazy second shift and goes into neutral before 2nd.

Id probably pick up around a second on a track with the timing system and good traction and at least 2 seconds on a trans and rear end swap. I still laugh at how hard it pulls from 40 to 80 but how bad it goes off the line.

Well ive located a 2004R in town. Have not picked it up but I know its for sale, I know who has it and I told him im interested.

2004R this winter. After i fix the firebird.

Drove it under the back of a pickup. Its getting fixed, just need parts. Already got the core support jacked back up, got the bad sheet metal cut off the inner fender.

:frown:
picture-1357.jpg

What the hell Jacob? Did you not hit the brakes or did you just not pay attention? Not cool bud.:frown: