You can type here any text you want

Has anyone ever talked to Dart or Merlin about making a Buick V6 block ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

yullose

Certified Gun Nut
I was just thinking... with the expense of the stage2 stuff and difficulty in finding it... wouldn't it make sense for one of these aftermarket block mfg's to produce a new Buick V6 block ? and possibly a new version of the 14 bolt heads ???

If they can sell Big Block Chevy blocks for under $2k... why couldn't they do the same for the Buick community ???

I would think they could sell a $hitload of them...

And all of the time effort and money expended by TA Performance is just for fun?

And all of the time effort and money expended by TA Performance is just for fun?

Well, I think they "missed the target audience" when all I see on the website is a $4000 aluminum block... Especially when I can buy an aluminum SBC for $3500 or a BBC for $4000

What I think is needed is an affordable iron block. Something priced around $1500-$1800 MAX.
Hell, some of the GM SBC blocks are only $800-$1400.

Champion was making one but unsure what the status of that project is.

I think the TA block falls under a slightly different breed. the material alone adds lots to its price.

A nice solid cast iron block that simply corrects the stock faults would be perfect........ its cheaper material and easier to cast. It could even stay in an 8 bolt config IMHO.

A.j.

I think the TA block falls under a slightly different breed. the material alone adds lots to its price.

A nice solid cast iron block that simply corrects the stock faults would be perfect........ its cheaper material and easier to cast. It could even stay in an 8 bolt config IMHO.

A.j.

I agree completely. Only thing I would do is, leave at least the bosses cast in the block to add the add'l head bolts if someone wants to hang stage2 heads on it.

I agree completely. Only thing I would do is, leave at least the bosses cast in the block to add the add'l head bolts if someone wants to hang stage2 heads on it.

thats an even better idea, it couldnt be that much more material or work. maybe a multi-pattern bellhousing for poops & giggles.

I tried some time ago to get a hold of Mitchell for some patents and copyrights on injection stuff but never got my messages returned.

its possible that if you got a large enough group of people together with cash in hand somebody would bite, but I bet the quanity needed would be atleast 75 blocks...... or so.....

im down, any others?

A.j.

the Buick V6 market just isn't that big. i emailed Edelbrock last summer about maybe getting them to tool up some heads, and the response i got seemed to imply that they think there isn't much of a market for them, but they were "looking into it".
they sell heads for other smaller markets- the AMC V8 comes to mind- but they won't tool up for the Buick V6. and given the looks of the financial world these days, i can't see any company wanting to spend the necessary money for blocks or heads for the forseeable future.

If you just simply look at the numbers novaderrik hit the nail on the head. There were about 30,000 TR's built in the 80's and 30,000,000 Chevys from 1955 through 2009. Where is the market for the return on investment?
I know what Mike went through to get a quality product that he stands behind. The engineering and production costs would make your cheap cast iron block infeasible.

If you just simply look at the numbers novaderrik hit the nail on the head. There were about 30,000 TR's built in the 80's and 30,000,000 Chevys from 1955 through 2009. Where is the market for the return on investment?
I know what Mike went through to get a quality product that he stands behind. The engineering and production costs would make your cheap cast iron block infeasible.

I have no issue whatsoever with TA's quality. In fact, just the opposite. I'm very impressed with everything I see and read about them and their products.

My issue is... being pretty much stuck with either a stock (weak) block or a $4000 alternative. There really is nothing in-between. For the kind of money it would take to build one of those hi-end motors, I would rather make the conversion to a V8 just to SAVE a bunch of headaches and money.

I could put a turbo 350SBC together WAY cheaper than what a strong Buick V6 would cost... judging strictly by the cost of good Buick parts and the availability of them.

That's an even better idea... dual bolt pattern so buyers could hang a GM 4L80E off the back of it... or a Chevy pattern Powerglide. :cool:

The TA block already has this and a provision for the rod for the hand shaker transmission.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Hi Guys, I am having a hard time finding performance parts for a 2.8L mpfi engine, such as cam an etc. could some one help.

Hi Guys, I am having a hard time finding performance parts for a 2.8L mpfi engine, such as cam an etc. could some one help.

Well Bud, yer kinda stuck. we dont really mess with the 2.8s too much around here but if you look up 60degreev6.com they have everything you need.

hope that helps.

:biggrin: A.j.

I have no issue whatsoever with TA's quality. In fact, just the opposite. I'm very impressed with everything I see and read about them and their products.

My issue is... being pretty much stuck with either a stock (weak) block or a $4000 alternative. There really is nothing in-between. For the kind of money it would take to build one of those hi-end motors, I would rather make the conversion to a V8 just to SAVE a bunch of headaches and money.

I could put a turbo 350SBC together WAY cheaper than what a strong Buick V6 would cost... judging strictly by the cost of good Buick parts and the availability of them.

You have a great point about the prices but I think we would have a better chance of someone coming up with a 3800 series 2/3 conversion kits for our cars. Wiring harness, headers, intake, etc. etc. Even then it still might be cheaper to convert a car to a turbo'ed sbc.

You have a great point about the prices but I think we would have a better chance of someone coming up with a 3800 series 2/3 conversion kits for our cars. Wiring harness, headers, intake, etc. etc. Even then it still might be cheaper to convert a car to a turbo'ed sbc.

Agreed, 3800's O plenty and the stock gen ll heads flow better then hogged out 8445s... just need a package deal for a swap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

on the 3800 that narrow 60* bellhousing is whats the pain............

everything else really aint to bad, short of maybe some aftermarket support on exhaust and intakes.

A.j.

I don't think there is any such thing as "performance parts" for the 2.8 V6....the 2.8 V6/3.1 engines fall into the same category as a 307 Olds or a 301 Pointiac or a 267 Chevy...all are considered odd ball engines that usually find their way plucked to make room for bigger (and more powerful) engines. That being said, the market usually doesn't bother with the odd ball engines.

I'm patiently waiting for Champion to offer their cast iron block. From what I've heard it might be around ~$2800. Last I heard it is still in the works...

Back