You can type here any text you want

Has anyone ever talked to Dart or Merlin about making a Buick V6 block ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
someone should start a company that makes "made in China" labels here in the US and exports them to China to be put on products that are going to be shipped back here..

someone should start a company that makes "made in China" labels here in the US and exports them to China to be put on products that are going to be shipped back here..

It wouldn't be cost effective after the unions got involved and forced the Mfg facilities to move to Mexico. :D

I actually owned a TA Block but sold it because of money problems. I would recommend this engine because of Kenny Dutweiller's Design Input. He built a twin turbo model one that made 2500 HP and tested another to 50# of boost. Both engines lived after this abuse. This engine is actually equal to any S2 cast blocks or better. It'll cost some bucks to build but man does it Honk in the HP Dept. Nick Micale is using one now and others so maybe contacting him for more input. Gene

I've been using the TA block for awhile now. More than a few PMs now, and the block is doing great. Nothing is moving around. The bearings look fantastic every time.

Here is my $0.02
I have extensive MFG Operations and Strategic sourcing experience, so take what I say for what its worth (to you ;) )

Patterns are not cheap, and the price of the pattern and castings must be absorbed.
So you can amortize it over 20,00 or 1000 units. So you see, the cost is substantially different between the two!
A pattern for such an integral casting would not be cheap, and would be in the $100-$150K, easy.

Even if you have the patterns, one would need a GREAT casting manufacturer, and they MUST understand castings. (trust me, not all of them do)
There are specific casting procedures that must be followed. Any shortcut, you can kiss the quality goodbye!

The EPA is cracking down daily on businesses that emit particles and gasses into the air, land, and water. It is not cheap to do business in the USA, especially CA. :eek:

That brings us to LCC sourcing (Low Cost Country Sourcing)
Let’s say you end up in China; Now lets review cost, quality and pride.

Cost;
China has proven to be the least expensive overall. Heck they are about 60% cheaper than Brazil, and 40% less than India! Mexico is no longer competitive.

Quality;
China has some GREAT knowledge, but, you MUST stay on them, and make 100% sure they understand your expectations of quality. If you get to that point, it will be more expensive that the average “casting house”, but, you should be able to get the parts a lower cost than most places around the world.

Pride; Well, there is only one way for this – “Made in America”. :D

So, in the end, it comes down to what Mike had stated;
Market qty, market expectations, sales volume and capital investment.

I lately sourced a new Ford Motorsports Boss 302 iron block for a customer's build. If I remember right, it was about $1600.00. My question is, I can't imagine the demand for a Boss 302 block is going to be that big, so how can they supply it for so cheap? By the way, a fantastic block. Minimal prep needed.

I lately sourced a new Ford Motorsports Boss 302 iron block for a customer's build. If I remember right, it was about $1600.00. My question is, I can't imagine the demand for a Boss 302 block is going to be that big, so how can they supply it for so cheap? By the way, a fantastic block. Minimal prep needed.

Any idea of the casting date?

what is the ballpark production number of turbo buick cars? First gen Camaros is something like 200,000+ for each year!

Back