You can type here any text you want

Hello. New Here

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Reason I ask is because I called nick a few years ago when I was in the market for one of these cars and he was not only one of the nicest guys to talk to[ which I did multiple times]he is very knowlegable on these cars and just a great all around standup guy.

Yea I know that for sure I accidentally hit some buttons[ on purpose] and it got me put in the penalty box.:D

By the way I am pondering the idea of a twin setup after seeing that engine sitting in your car,that thing is wicked looking.Beautiful engine bay also, definatly hit that one out of the park.

How many pics have you seen? I'm always posting them all over the board. But every now and then I get someone who wasn't in a thread when I was posting them.

It was in the you guys are pretty sharp thread where I saw it and then I think I went to your profile page I think, all I know is its sweet looking and you did a great job on it.

I also have a 2015 Porsche GT3 that I don't want to put too much mileage on. I guess that is my "backup". so I don't want to drive a boring DD so I figure I would prep a GN to make it reliable......

Buy a car for low $20's and spend another $10k to make it feel new and reliable. I mean what kinda car can you get for $30k? Am I being naive or unrealistic?

You can accomplish your goal but I would start with the right car for sure. Preferably a low mile car and go from there. I also agree for you to hook up with Nick Micale @ Arizona GN and let him guide you and maybe even do the work.

I'm guessing that your " dislike " was a mistake , because these ARE the 2 best guys to talk to about what you are looking for in your area . Sam

Total mistake. My apologies. The like button is right beside the dislike button and my meat paws pressed the wrong one on my iPad

Total mistake. My apologies. The like button is right beside the dislike button and my meat paws pressed the wrong one on my iPad
No problem....I've done it myself, I even made a thread about it a little bit ago.

These cars can be incredibly reliable as a DD. Pick your purchase carefully. Some of these cars are really hacked up by people who try to save $$ and do something themselves only to have the project turn out half-a**ed.
...OR,they have a horrible old-school combo and have been beaten to death.

When I was looking I saw some real rolling disasters. Hacked wiring,former stolen-wrecked/thrown together cars..

I got mine as a bone-stocker.

It's not always about speed. You should go thru the horrible task of replacing the body bushings. By now they are rotted and split. Fun,fun.

Then there's the melted right side upper control arm bushing near the down pipe. I could go on and on.

Then you'll be dealing with vendors. You'll order something for the left side and almost always get the right side. Too bad they don't have a phone number to call! The email tag/waiting game starts.

Need a built transmission? I got a $3,000 one from one of the top rebuilders here. The promised "3 weeks" turned into 7 months! Then with the wrong lockup wiring. I called and was walked thru the mod. The tranny then lasted 50 miles. It was sliding into each gear. Slip-city. Waited 3 months for another. The lockup doesn't work in this one!

Turbo Buick repair shops... Brought mine to a famous one here in the northeast and they forgot about my car even tho I called to check often. "Oh yeah,we will get it right in!" Needed an Alky kit,etc.

After 6 months I had enough and drove there personally. There sat my super-clean GN in the weeds next to the road. A lawn mower had been aimed at the drivers side every time the grass was cut. Hot sun blazing. Super hot inside. Bird crap baked all over. I wanted to cry. "Sorry,man. Your car got lost in the sea of black cars."

From experience,the biggest problem is the people you have to deal with.

I have ordered things from Nick,RJC and others on the West coast. Never a bad experience. The right hand side of the Mississippi?? Forget it.

Btw,I have seen NY Twin Turbo's car in person. It's one of those cars you can look at for hours. This here..that there.. It has a cooler under the trunk for something... A lot of "Wow..look at that!"

T-bone.. Do you really want to do this? This is a whole different ball game than leasing a new car.

Thats some reasonble advice for the new kid, but i totally disagree with the right side of the mississippi coment. I personally have bought parts from most of the venders coast to coast. Most of my parts have come east coast venders, i must be lucky because i have never encountered the problems you have with any of the venders east of the mississippi.

I will give credit where credit is due.. NOS4GN (aka Highway Stars) packages the best. I have had the least issues with them. Plus they have a phone number with a real,polite person on the end who seems to want to help. Some vendors do not have phone numbers to call if there is a problem.

I ordered a NOS grille from another vendor out here. $650. When I got it,it was NOT an NOS grille. To their mistake,the reproduction companies name was on the back. I looked it up. $175!

Good quality reproduction. I sent the "NOS" grille back and bought from the reproduction company.

T-bone.. Think it over!

Reason I ask is because I called nick a few years ago when I was in the market for one of these cars and he was not only one of the nicest guys to talk to[ which I did multiple times]he is very knowlegable on these cars and just a great all around standup guy.
What are you an English major, didn't know I was still in school, so go somewhere else and teach.

What are you an English major, didn't know I was still in school, so go somewhere else and teach.
Don't get offended. Those buttons are accidentally pushed all the time. Especially when using a smart phone.

I don't think the bad spelling button has ever been used purposefully a single time since this board was created.

Your probably right I didn't think about that Im kinda old school and don't even use my phone to text so I could see that happening, especially to someone newer to board than even me.My apologies Jon.

This is great advice..... Going from a leased / service suv to a 30 year old car is a big step which is why I am seeking all the advice and wisdom here.

I used to race cars so the importance of a great mechanic is obvious.

I am looking at it that I should replace all rubber bushing / hoses and belts and slip in performance / new parts where possible.

My biggest concerns are the wiring. Can I replace all the wiring in an easy way? Can I live without ABS? Can I install a GPS / satellite radio?

The wiring shouldn't be a problem as long as someone hasn't done a hack-job to it while looking for an electrical problem or adding things to the wiring like gauges,etc.

One important thing on these cars is the grounds. An afternoon spent taking grounds off and cleaning them will add years of reliability.

Most connections are in weather -packs. Those that aren't should be checked and cleaned. ...wiring at the starter,for example.

These cars are actually simple in their own way. One big help will be this Forum. There are many people here who are a database of info. It's just important to post the correct subject line to get the right eyes looking.

It has been said that these cars are built of a super-strong/highly engineered and durable drivetrain surrounded by a crap car. Sometimes I believe that.

Keep in mind that these cars are an addiction. I'm certainly addicted and I understand I must take the good with the bad.

Back