help! daily driver trouble (Not TR related)

1000MileStylez

Black Sheep
I just replaced control arms and ball joints on my 99 accord.
Im hearing this rattle going over bumps i think its my struts, i tried tightening down the nut on the top, one side it was higher on the threads than the other so i impacted it down and i still hear the noise. I check every part i replaced and every bolt is tightened. Since one of the nuts were loose is it possible for the spring to have turned to a spot where it will have some space during suspension travel???? I tried looking on other message boards and it seems this is common with FWD vehicles but cant get a straight answer:confused:

Check the cat shields they rust out alot and causes a rattle. Either that or check for play in the swaybar end links they are known to go bad too. If its the cat shields rattling just rip them off.

any bolt on suspension stuff is new, end links, control arms upper and lower, new ball joints new everything. Its def not the shield its too solid of a rattle. Sound like something is loose

strut mounts

Sounds like your strut mounts are probably bad. Heard it all the time when I worked for Firestone doing suspension work. Take a floor jack and put it under the bodyseam behind the front tire. Have a friend jack up the car and let the suspension hang. As the strut fully extends you will see the rubber mount that the top of the strut goes through seperate from the metal casing. Thats about the best I can explain it. 98 Toyota camrys are the worlds worst about this problem. Hope this helps!!:)

Double check to make sure all your control arm bushings are installed correctly along with checking the struts & strut mounts...also how about the CV shafts/joints?

Sounds like your strut mounts are probably bad. Heard it all the time when I worked for Firestone doing suspension work. Take a floor jack and put it under the bodyseam behind the front tire. Have a friend jack up the car and let the suspension hang. As the strut fully extends you will see the rubber mount that the top of the strut goes through seperate from the metal casing. Thats about the best I can explain it. 98 Toyota camrys are the worlds worst about this problem. Hope this helps!!:)

i agree

im going to take it apart today, i think you have to be signed up on that message board to do a search, im already signed up on 10 message boards lmao. Anyways survey says strut problem.

well i didnt have to take it part to figure out what the problem was. I did a little more research on the subject and i found out what the problem is. I lifted the side up that was making the noise (the passanger side) and then i did what was said on a website i found. I shook the whole tire to replicate the noise and it did! I looked underneith to see what was loose. The lower ball joint on the spindle (Brand new and it was fine when i gave it to the shop to have pressed in) was almost out of the socketbut still bolted in with the castle nut. I also took this car on a long test drive yesterday. I could have lost the whole right side and crashed. Well i called today and the owner (who does all the ball joint pressing) wasnt in. But believe me, tomorrow, there will be hell!