You can type here any text you want

Help ditch the powermaster and go rear disc all at once?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

There's some rear disc kits floating around for decent prices. Thinking about doing it.

Drilled/slotted rotors worth it in the rear? Or go with the more affordable basic kit?

There's kits with/without provision for parking brake. If I get rid of the PowerFailure I'll be fine with no E-brake. If I don't convert the PM, I want my e-brake for when my brakes fail at 45mph. :rolleyes: Opinions? E-brake kit isn't too much more but saving money is saving money if I don't need it.

I think I'd just go with manual brakes. Vacuum doesn't sound that great to me and I can't afford hydroboost.

I know a few master cylinders which are recommended for conversion on our cars, would this change with a car that has rear disc?

A Hydroboost will be a hell of a lot cheaper then (2) sets of disc brakes. Ur looken at a minimum of $1500 for brakes. Your BS on ur wheels may change as some kits require different back spacing cause they come out an inch or so.

I was looking to do the same and have decided to go with the Hydroboost for now and see how much it helps. Supposed to give like 30% more pressure. We will see.

Yeah I was just looking through the Hydroboost thread that people are posting in, and it seems interesting. I have to admit I'm lazy and easily intimidated by big projects, if someone came up with a fool-proof list of exactly what parts to buy and how to assemble it, and if it came out cheaper than some of the expensive HB kits already available, I would go for it.

But as far as $1500 for disc brakes, no way. Maybe for the Baer kits. I'm looking at stuff for like $400 bucks.

The hydroboost mod was very simple. If you read the latest HB thread I posted up all the part numbers you will need to make your lines. That is the hardest part, everything else is "fab" up what you have. I have 150.00 wrapped up in my hydroboost. It is really not that bad of a mod to do. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me. I would be happy to show you what worked for me. I promise you though you will be so surprised how well the car stops. I was thinking about doing the s10 blazer spindle swap to get the 11 in rotor and the twin piston caliper, but I am going to hold off because of how well the car stops now with what it has.

I'll PM you about it and consider going that route.

BlackMetal since your pretty close me after you finish with your brake setup, would love to see the out come.My goal is to due the same setup if possible.I will keep track of this post and if you can as your doing the work can you post some picture's of the project

My only concern is that any fabucating needed, meaning drilling hose ect or would this be a straight forward job and if i decide to go back to stock would i have any issues at all.

A Hydroboost will be a hell of a lot cheaper then (2) sets of disc brakes. Ur looken at a minimum of $1500 for brakes. Your BS on ur wheels may change as some kits require different back spacing cause they come out an inch or so.

I was looking to do the same and have decided to go with the Hydroboost for now and see how much it helps. Supposed to give like 30% more pressure. We will see.

Yep they work great! Thanks Brett.
My entire brake system has been rebuilt with all stainless lines, new combination valve, new rear cylinders, rebuilt front calipers and a Hydratech hydro-boost. You guys would not believe how these brakes work. I have virtually no pedal travel and I just rest my foot on it and stop.

Vacuum isn't great but it works and it's cheap. I've done conversions for about $50 bux in junkyard parts. Takes about an hour or so to swap and I always have reliable brakes. So far, I've had 3 powermasters fail on me while on the road... Now, I generally pull the PM as soon as a new TR hits my garage. Of course, I don't drive my TR's as dd's but usually to cruises and shows so I can't justify dropping lots of coin for something that will rarely see the road. I just want to avoid any surprises. :eek:

If you're going to drive the TR daily, Ispend the extra cash to get the good brakes. A few dollars now will save you from wrinkling paint (and maybe yourself) in the event of an accident in the future. How much is that worth to you?

I can say I have been in Rick's car and his brakes are just plain nuts 1/4" of travel and your through the windshield absolutly insane! :eek:

I have two sets of vacuum brakes just no pedals if you want to try a vacuum set-up Brian has the pedals and filter, you can have the booster and master cylinder for $75

Go to the parts store and get a sset of lines, hydroboost unit and the master for an 84 GN for around $200. Bolt it in, bleed the brakes, and go. No fab required. Easy and no need for the high dollar kits other than to say, "Ya I have the blah blah blah kit". Mine work great.

As far as rear discs go. No need for drilled and slotted. Just do the FBody swap and be done with it.

Go to the parts store and get a sset of lines, hydroboost unit and the master for an 84 GN for around $200. Bolt it in, bleed the brakes, and go. No fab required. Easy and no need for the high dollar kits other than to say, "Ya I have the blah blah blah kit". Mine work great.

As far as rear discs go. No need for drilled and slotted. Just do the FBody swap and be done with it.

That's what I've been PMing some of the hydroboost guys about, if there's something that can be grabbed at the parts store instead of having to go junkyarding. I'd rather pay a little more and not have to go to the junkyard. I'll check around for the unit from an 84.

I'm familiar with the Fbody swap in the rear but never got a real idea on what the overall cost was. There's some rear disc kits for around $400. I'd just do that unless the fbody method is considerably cheaper, and again, availability of parts. Not going to the junkyard.

So how about this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...ter&fromWhere=&searchText=&_requestid=1286797

Will that bolt up right to the firewall? Will the pushrod be correct?

Go to Oreilly's, they have the HydroBoost unit for less than AutoZone. The pedal from your PowerJunker is the same and Oreillys master is only $16. Cant beat the price. Everything bolts right up. The lines can be found at the parts store, bought from a member parting out a Hot Air, or made at a Hydraulic shop for next to nothing. The low pressure line is just a 3/8 hose.

As far as rear discs go, who sells the kit for $400? I'd probably go with one of those too! I planned to go to the boneyard for my rear brakes when I do it but thats not a bad price.

I'm not real sure what that HydroBoost unit is for but it pretty much looks the same with the exception of the shaft, it's too long but could probably be changed out. I would just get the one for a GN so you know it's right and you dont have to mess around with it.

Looking at pictures of the 84 GN power booster it looks like it has no accumulator? No safety net if the car stalls?

Back