Help-Going to do a budget rebuild the target is 11.99 at least once.

NO I do NOT.. Work to hard for my $$$ . Oh I did go to Vegas in Nov an blew $4. :p

I guess winter is officially here :eek::biggrin:

Just in case you hadn't noticed i am also cheap:eek: i went to Atlantic City with an impressive gambling budget of $40.00

Not looking for you to put up $$$ just a little bit of your time VS my cash.
It would be like taking candy from a baby.

Your cash vs. His time...that already sounds bad....:tongue:
And other info from the machine shop yet?

Your cash vs. His time...that already sounds bad....:tongue:
And other info from the machine shop yet?

LOL i promise NO person to person Physical contact is involved.
Talk about needing disclaimers :cool:Lol

Us New Yorkers (NYC area) are a bunch of Sussy's when it comes to snow. Then add holidays in the middle of it and NOTHING gets done. Things should start moving again after New Years day.
So far the New block that i just picked up will clean up at STD (cylinders)but i want it 60 over to gain more power:eek::eek:

just kidding. :biggrin:
I am going to leave it at STD, the mains look good too.

OK here i go again.
I have read in a few threads that the timing tabs on the balancer are off by a few degrees is this something that should be looked at or not even bother for this type of build.
What benefits are to be had by correcting this?
How far off (degrees wise) are they usually?

OK here i go again.
I have read in a few threads that the timing tabs on the balancer are off by a few degrees is this something that should be looked at or not even bother for this type of build.
What benefits are to be had by correcting this?
How far off (degrees wise) are they usually?

I have heard of that but never checked one. In one of the treads it may show you how to check it. So... $300 for standard pistions... Man, that money could go towards an HR parts bar. If you crack a stock piston on a car with Felpro head gaskets, alky, scanmaster, working knock sensor and a 11.50 combo you may damage a forged piston too.

I have heard of that but never checked one. In one of the treads it may show you how to check it. So... $300 for standard pistions... Man, that money could go towards an HR parts bar. If you crack a stock piston on a car with Felpro head gaskets, alky, scanmaster, working knock sensor and a 11.50 combo you will damage a forged piston too.

I really don't think i have a broken piston now, the blow-by didn't increase or the oil got full of fuel. it really does sound like a rod or main knock.

I have heard of that but never checked one. In one of the treads it may show you how to check it. So... $300 for standard pistions... Man, that money could go towards an HR parts bar.

I have never had a problem with the stock balancer nor have I heard of one .. SFI ones ...YES !!! Send them to Dan @ DLS ..
....$300 for a set of forged pistons??? sounds cheap. NO other comment at wasting $$$ at this time. Those stock pistons can't take a beating :p

I have never had a problem with the stock balancer nor have I heard of one .. SFI ones ...YES !!! Send them to Dan @ DLS ..
....$300 for a set of forged pistons??? sounds cheap. NO other comment at wasting $$$ at this time. Those stock pistons can't take a beating :p

Cool i'll forget the balancer thing all together

Cheap as in NO GOOD?? Not sure what you mean.
Do you guys normally reuse pistons?
What would be the best most accurate way to check used pistons before reusing them?
How much should having the pistons checked cost (ball park)?

i ASSumed that it was an automatic to replace the pistons.

Budget build... stock pistons that pass the visual inspection. That why they say budget builds aren't expected to be fast and reliable. It may fly a few times then pop. It may last a few years of normal use. Get my drift...

Budget build... stock pistons that pass the visual inspection. That why they say budget builds aren't expected to be fast and reliable. It may fly a few times then pop. It may last a few years of normal use. Get my drift...

a mid 11 car can last years !!! been there an done it.. 218k on one of the cars before it broke a crank (Melissa's Limited T) :eek::p Plus we did a lot of what I call the "haircuts and a shave" or the .. "wam bam thank you mam". These motors will take a beating and come back for more :cool:

Here's a set of forged pistons someone had posted before, they are $350 14477 - Buick V6 -29.5cc Dish Top SRS Pistons
Some one mentioned those piston to a few days ago, i never heard of them before that. Thanks for the reply and the link.

a mid 11 car can last years !!! been there an done it.. 218k on one of the cars before it broke a crank (Melissa's Limited T) :eek::p Plus we did a lot of what I call the "haircuts and a shave" or the .. "wam bam thank you mam". These motors will take a beating and come back for more :cool:

Good to know.
i guess thats what the other motor is going to get.

How popular are the rings and bearings rebuilds on these motors?
i have done a few SBCs, sent out the crank to get polished and sized for new bearings then passed the drill with the honing stones put it back together and they worked perfect.

True Grumpy. I was talking about the cars that go low tens in full weight cars on the stock shortblocks. I should have worded that better. I think David is a bit to worried. I used to be that way. Now I laugh and giggle at the experiments. Good and bad! I learned to practice on the stock stuff. Keeps the repair cost down. Last shortblock cost me a whole $250. Put my ported irons on it and cam and ran the same number as the forged everything shortblock.

True Grumpy. I was talking about the cars that go low tens in full weight cars on the stock shortblocks.

ok !!! then its a grenade waiting for the pin to be pulled.
.....on the cheap rebuild I still had the machine shop mag, clean an hone the block. Mag an polish the crank. Check the big ends on the rods. :cool:

ok !!! then its a grenade waiting for the pin to be pulled.
.....on the cheap rebuild I still had the machine shop mag, clean an hone the block. Mag an polish the crank. Check the big ends on the rods. :cool:

Nothing to the pistons??
i could do this to the other motor