You can type here any text you want

Help identify metal pieces found in oil filter

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Well, here is what happened. Woodruff key on the crank snout was getting hammered around in the groove in the TA crank hub and making it wider. This was allowing the crank hub to move around and break off a chunk of the oil slinger. Oil slinger piece made its way through the oil pump pickup bypass and through the oil pump into the filter where I found it. I checked the crank bolt way back when I was having false knock readings and I swear it was over 200 ft lb. My engine builder talked to a guy at BHJ and he said that the stock type hubs are not really recommended for higher horsepower and RPM applications. So, I went back with the BHJ harmonic balancer which is an actual harmonic balancer not just a hub. It is also a press fit not a loose fit like the hub. My builder torqued the bolt to 250 ft lb so I should be good this time. Now I am sure there are plenty of people out there running low tens or better on the stock hub with no problems but this is just my experience. Maybe my aftermarket crank and aftermarket stock type hub were not set up correctly or the bolt was not quite tight enough. I may never know for sure. Here are some pictures. On the bright side the pistons showed no signs of detonation and everything else looked good. New rings, bearings, front cover, etc and I am back in business. Hope to have it back in the car next month.
DSC04490 (640x480).jpg

DSC04494 (640x480).jpg

DSC04495 (640x480).jpg

Thanks for the update, to often, there's never a ending to the story... good luck with your new fresh motor!

Chuck

Back