Hey Brian/Gbodyparts!!!

WFO

Habitual Line-Stepper
As if you're not busy enough I have an idea for another new part...:D

I was just out in my shop looking at my old TA-60 and got to thinking about the limited stock housing turbo selection currently available for the hotair crowd.

Then I got to thinking that the only thing keeping hotairs from running reclocked 87 turbos is a couple of simple aluminum adapters.

The first would look just like the stock turbo to intake adapter except in place of the turbo side o-ring groove you have a machined hose barb.You plug that sucker into the intake,clamp a piece of silicone hose to it and shove a reclocked 87 turbo outlet right down into it.Clamp it down,done deal.

The other piece would be just like a piece I(and a few others if I recall)had made a few years back.It would be an adapter similar to the one you're probably already looking at with your intercooler kit to rotate the throttle body back around to it's proper orientation.

If you made this simple kit with the required replacement o-rings so the average hotair guy could easily bolt on any 87 style turbo I think you'd sell a ton.:cool: .If you went ahead and tapped that adapter and included an alky nozzle I have a feeling you'd REALLY be cookin with gas:eek: :biggrin: .

If it was only that easy. I once thought thats all you needed to do but the problem is not the adapter its the turbo it self and the location of the throttle body. Turbos out today are running dynamic seals if we put a dynamic seal turbo on our car it will suck oil and spit it into the intake. this is because of the location of our TB. Our cars need to run a Carbon Seal backing plate and precision and limited no longer make these. this is what has screwed us for years.

I've run nothing but 87 style turbos on my car since I put my spearco kit on.

Never had a problem:confused: .

maybe with the sperco kit the pressure once you chop the throttle it isnt as harsh since you have the added pipping. i know for a fact that my Ta-49 spit oil since day one. as soon as i went to a crabon seal all was well.

Well,these guys have a 4 piece carbon seal kit for 84-87 style turbos:

Garrett T3, T4, T3/T4 Kits

Their rebuild kits are $80 so not much holding us back there...

Garrett T3, T4, T3/T4 Kits
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three different types of compressor end seals for these turbos: a 1-piece encapsulated carbon seal, a 4-piece carbon seal, and a dynamic seal. Usually, when you buy a turbo rebulid kit, you are not given the option of which type of seal will be included in the kit. This can be a real problem when you go to rebuild your turbo and find that you have the incorrect seal. It means you have to try to come up with the correct seal, causing you further downtime.

We want you to have the correct type of seal from the beginning, and that is why we offer the choice of all three seal types in our kits. There is no price difference. We have included some helpful information below for determining which type of seal your turbo needs. If after looking at the information and picture below you are still unsure of what you need, email us, and we will be glad to help.

Kit #2: 4-piece Carbon Seal
Buick Regal, Riviera, T-Type, GNX, and Grand National from '84-'87; Chrysler/Dodge '84-'87 and all Turbo II's (Shelby, Daytona, Laser, LeBaron, Charger, etc...); Ford/Mercury '83-'86 Capri, Cougar, Mustang, SVO, and Turbo Coupe; Nissan 300zx '85.5-'87; Peugeot '85-'88 505 and 505 STI

Garrett T3/T4 Hybrid Rebuild KitThis is a COMPLETE rebuild kit for GARRETT T3/T4 Hybrid turbos. This kit comes complete with all of the correct bolts and clamps for a T3/T4 Hybrid, not just the bolts for one or the other. This is for a T3/T4 turbo with a dynamic seal on the compressor end as most hybrids are. We have the carbon seal kit available if that is needed for your application. We also have T3/T4 High performance kits available.

If it was only that easy. I once thought thats all you needed to do but the problem is not the adapter its the turbo it self and the location of the throttle body. Turbos out today are running dynamic seals if we put a dynamic seal turbo on our car it will suck oil and spit it into the intake. this is because of the location of our TB. Our cars need to run a Carbon Seal backing plate and precision and limited no longer make these. this is what has screwed us for years.
He's correct in this post, it's a little more complicated then that. And I have both adapters available if anyone needs them already made. Trying to help out the hot airs as much as possible with that type of thing and have a machine shop I can use for these. As far as the carbon seal that's a great thing to know, I know the shop we have locally claims he can get them with little to no problems as well for the turbos, the only issue is yeah you can attach it but closing the hood not so easy. Trust me we have been looking at this a lot lately. I'd love to run a bigger newer type turbo especially with the way they spool immediately. If you can be patient we might have something after this winter, working on something as we speak. Trying to come up with the right combo and even a bigger throttle body. Time will tell.

Jamie

Yeah the latest greatest turbos are bigger than the stock type housings.

Fortunately for us Jamie is the only one around here that actually needs a turbo that big:D .

My thought is that if the average hotair guy could swap in a used TA-49 or even a stock 87 turbo that's a big performance increase over a stocker.

If I'm not mistaken the stock housings can be hogged out to t63 size wheels which is a solid 10 second turbo.

Once again,I know I haven't even maxed out my PT61...

The cone type no, I have it on my kitchen counter though.. LOL I have the other adapter so you can attach the turbo but I'm not sure I have photos of those. I'll try to take some this weekend and post up. I do have these all set up at a shop so we can have more made as well.

You are correct on the hogging out of a stocker or if you could still get a hybrid built you can go about that big then the issue is clearance and hitting the hood, as it stands right now my scuffs the turbo shield on the hood and the mock up one we had would sit 2 inches higher then that. If we can figure that out then stuffing one of those nice new turbos in there would work. I was thinking we could be like the 4 cylinders and just cut a hole in the hood and have the turbo stick out of it. KIDDING

Jamie

Holy crap,that musta been a bigass turbo!:eek:

I've never had any hood clearance problems,but I also don't have the metal heat shield on the hood.

So are you running an 84 or 87 housing?

Reply I got from gpopshop about 84 turbos:

Sean, Thank you for your interest. Both of the turbos use carbon seals to sealthe oil on the compressor side. Some of the '84 and olders used a 1pccarbon seal, and all of the '87s use a 4pc carbon seal. The onlydifference is how the seal is installed, not how it functions. The theorythat they have is not correct because they both have carbon seals. Wewould say that if it didn't, you would have had a problem a long time ago. We can put bigger wheels in them and have done this in the past. If thecustomer wanted to send their housing and backing plate in to us to haveit machined and have the new wheel installed, the price for the machiningand the new wheel would be $200. We would recommend them putting a rebuildkit in the turbo as well, the kit is $81. We would also recommend abalance, which if they buy the kit and have the housing machined, we canbalance the assembly for $45. This is always a good idea when you aremixing and matching parts. The other option would be to just have usrebuild and upgrade it, this would be $525 as long as the turbo didn'thave any other damage to the hard parts (turbine shaft/wheel, bearinghousing). We have installed different sizes of wheels in these turbos fromT04Bs and T04Es with all the common trim sizes. Another option that we would suggest to somebody building these turbos isto clip the turbine wheel. This would give more flow through the housing,as they are the turbine wheels are pretty restrictive. This would be $75for us to do it. We hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions. -- Jim & Gerry, G-Pop ShopSpecializing in rebuilt and new turbos,turbo upgrades, turbo rebuild kits, and turbo partswww.gpopshop.com(479)-751-7966

So it looks like $525 to have a hotair turbo upgraded if you have a good core.

Holy crap,that musta been a bigass turbo!:eek:

I've never had any hood clearance problems,but I also don't have the metal heat shield on the hood.

So are you running an 84 or 87 housing?
I think the housing is an 87??? Reason why I say that it's a hybrid and part was one thing part was theother. Sorry if that' sconfusing I'd have to find my paperwork frow a while back. I just know having the heat shield on there protects the hood paint from getting heat soaked and cracking. We also lined my hood liner with material to protect the hood from the excessive heat as well, so far 5 years later and my paint hasn't cracked. Trust me if Karl can figure out how to tilt the turbo to make the room it will be accomplished. Like Lee used to say stuff the biggest turbo you can in there and still close the hood.
verses the intercooled set ups.

Would this upgrade be better than a t33?

We have installed different sizes of wheels in these turbos fromT04Bs and T04Es with all the common trim sizes

According to this chart:

Turbocharger Compressor Wheels

A T33 is smaller than a TA49.If he can install TO4B and TO4E wheels in the housings then it looks at first glance like it could go all the way to a TA62:eek: .

If you want to keep your stock convertor you'll wanna hold off at TA49.:cool:

I say put a 3600 lockup in it and go as big as you can:D .

We have installed different sizes of wheels in these turbos fromT04Bs and T04Es with all the common trim sizes

According to this chart:

A T33 is smaller than a TA49.If he can install TO4B and TO4E wheels in the housings then it looks at first glance like it could go all the way to a TA62:eek: .

Holy Smack! sounds like you've came across a pretty major breakthrough for hot air turbo selection, correct? I'm still running my stocker, was planning on going for a t33, but if I can go bigger, then I'm going to give these guys a call.

According to this chart:

im running a TA-54 with no clearence problems. if your running the stock wastegate that becomes an issue

Would anybody happen to have a picture of the compressor side of our stock turbo I can send this guy? I just got off the phone with them. They said they have done a few of the carbed turbos (83 on down), and had no problem getting the 60 series in there cause there is enough "meat" there. But didn't have any of our stock hot air turbos in stock to be able to tell for sure. A picture or a actual turbo would let them better guage exactly how big they can go. I may very well just yank my turbo and send it off to them.

thanks wfo, those links will do nicely. I'm pretty busy at work today, otherwise I'da looked around before posting. :)

im running a TA-54 with no clearence problems. if your running the stock wastegate that becomes an issue

Does that 54 come in stock housings?

The wheels are the same as my PT61,just wondering what the difference was.

If he can put the bigger wheels in stock 84 housings then the wastegate should fit just fine.

I know Brian has 84 turbo cores handy...