High Compression VS Low Compression Opinions

it's always a balancing act between static compression, boost, timing and octane. There are other factors too but those are the heavy hitters.

Neal

I just got my final numbers in and I'm going to be at 10.5 to 1. I'm running e85 for fuel . This picture is of my rod mocked up in its home . my first attempt I had the piston in the hole .125 @TDC which wouldn't have worked lol now with a new set from earl I'm at .003 in the hole :)

Attachments

• IMG_8168.JPG
    IMG_8168.JPG
    855.2 KB · Views: 128
I just got my final numbers in and I'm going to be at 10.5 to 1. I'm running e85 for fuel . This picture is of my rod mocked up in its home . my first attempt I had the piston in the hole .125 @TDC which wouldn't have worked lol now with a new set from earl I'm at .003 in the hole :)
The pin bosses,of those pistons,have a lot of girth. Since the rods don't reside in the center of the pistons,you'll want to make sure the rods don't hit one of the pin bosses. I'm using these Racetech pistons and had to remove material from one of the bosses on each piston because the rods were hitting or too close.

Dank has an on center block. It was still awfully close with the meaty pin bosses coupled with a huge little on on the rod.

The pin bosses,of those pistons,have a lot of girth. Since the rods don't reside in the center of the pistons,you'll want to make sure the rods don't hit one of the pin bosses. I'm using these Racetech pistons and had to remove material from one of the bosses on each piston because the rods were hitting or too close.
I had to remove alil from both sides of my rod to get the .040 clearance all the way around . They are beef cake right there though :)

Attachments

• IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
I had to remove alil from both sides of my rod to get the .040 clearance all the way around . They are beef cake right there though :)
Improved mass flow at lower pressures substitutes for a lot of boost and timing constraints.

I have an old 109 motor here which I'm going to update. This engine was originally built circa 2004, back when pump gas and low compression was more or less the norm. It has an early chinese forged 3.400 crank, some genuine K1 rods, and some old deep dish JE pistons. FTS 215/220 cam.

I'm gonna update it with some new slugs. Compression Ratio: How high would you dare to go if you knew you wanted to go high?? E85 is the fuel.

With E85 (and that big cam) I would go as high as possible. Which basically means, measure all your stuff and put the piston crown .040" off the head. The static rate will be whatever it ends up at.

I’m considering 11.5:1 to 12:1
Probably staying with the same cam shaft

Also have a 3.625 crank available too. The assembly needs to be re-balanced anyways.

To get compression that high, you'll have to use the stroker crank. (or heads with a really small combustion chamber)