You can type here any text you want

Hoosier Drag radial size

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T- Type Tim

Vice Chairman
I've decided to go with the Hoosier DOT drag radial tire . I'm currently running a BFG drag radial 275-50-15

I'm thinking of going to a 275-60-15 with the Hoosier tire.

I do have the choice of staying with the 275-50-15 . recommendations?

522-17310.jpg
275-50-15

522-17317_1.jpg
275-60-15

fitment isn't so much the issue as is the track performance 60 series vs 50 series

The 275-50 is 2" shorter at 26" then the 275- 60 and its gonna change your gear ratio a little but traction will be the same and their both pushing it a bit on a 7" rim if your gonna make 10 sec ET- tire Wrinkle power:D

the 60 series will increase rollout,and sidewall which will allow you to hit the tire harder off the line.

Will it make that much of a difference launching off the foot brake? I am leaning tword the 60 series because of the 3.50 gear im running

Will these be for the track only? I had these on my car for 12 weekends. NOT a lot of driving/racing time on them at ALL, and they were down to the cords by the 12th saturday. They're soo soft that I wouldn't even drive to the track with them. These are best reserved for mounting on a set of aluminums and driving to the track with them in the trunk.

And with YOUR build, I'd abandon the 275 width. Unless there's a boat load of new vht on the track, you're going to spin these.

Mostly track with a few street miles but not much
I was considering 295 width as well on an 8" rim with 4.5" backspacing. ANY fitment concerns there?
I keep reading reviews about how much better these hook than ET Streets.

Will these be for the track only? I had these on my car for 12 weekends. NOT a lot of driving/racing time on them at ALL, and they were down to the cords by the 12th saturday. They're soo soft that I wouldn't even drive to the track with them. These are best reserved for mounting on a set of aluminums and driving to the track with them in the trunk.

And with YOUR build, I'd abandon the 275 width. Unless there's a boat load of new vht on the track, you're going to spin these.
I was running 255's and getting consistent 1.48 60' times off the foot brake with my TTA

Turbo6Smackdown said:

Dvernst said:
"I was running 255's and getting consistent 1.48 60' times off the foot brake with my TTA"

Yea. You forgot the "unless there's a boatload of new vht on the track" part...

The 275-50 is 2" shorter at 26" then the 275- 60 and its gonna change your gear ratio a little but traction will be the same and their both pushing it a bit on a 7" rim if your gonna make 10 sec ET- tire Wrinkle power:D
I'm running 275/60 Nittos. Note the 10 second wrinkle pattern after a couple of passes! Haha. I'd recommend 255/60 Mickey's or 275/60 Nittos for 7 or 8 inch wide rims. Oh, and 295/55's on 8's with 4.5 BS will rub the frame!
10683500_852631301443150_9125972674104381700_o.jpg

So the 295\,55 will rub the frame with 4.5 backspacing. I remember reading it does on some cars and on others it doesn't. Thanks for the info, I almost pulled the trigger on that size.

So here are a couple pics of how the car sits with 275/50/15 tires. 2" rear drop springs and new ford 9" rear end which seemed to raise the car back up 3/4" .

Any issue with sidewall height clearance with a 275/60,/15?

IMG_0828.JPG
IMG_0829.JPG
]

So the 295\,55 will rub the frame with 4.5 backspacing. I remember reading it does on some cars and on others it doesn't. Thanks for the info, I almost pulled the trigger on that size.

So here are a couple pics of how the car sits with 275/50/15 tires. 2" rear drop springs and new ford 9" rear end which seemed to raise the car back up 3/4" .

Any issue with sidewall height clearance with a 275/60,/15?

View attachment 237831 View attachment 237832 ]
I have a 2nd set of wheels, and I run a 295/55 on those. They are 15 x 9 with 4.5 BS and the clearance between the tire and frame is very close, like 3/8 - 7/16 ish. An 8 inch rim would pull 'em right into the frame.

I've seen quite a few of our cars at shows rocking the 275/50. For looks, I kinda like the shorter profile. It's sort of a personal taste thing really, until you get going fast at the track, then it becomes an RPM vs trap speed issue.

No sidewall height issues with the 275/60. So far I love the Nittos. They hook great at the track and the tread seems to be lasting longer than the Mickey's. I found the Mickey's hook a bit better on the street compared to the Nittos, but the Nittos last longer and are better in the rain by far.

Back