You can type here any text you want

how much could this block stand?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

richardv6

i got this 3.8 block,come with cunningham rods,bms 3.625crank and je pistons.just wonder if anyone has had goodluck with this, as street motor and their powerlevels.just looking for opinions.
2013-01-01_18-06-47_161.jpg

2013-01-01_18-07-30_15.jpg

2013-01-01_18-07-19_745.jpg

Thats the exact block I have, 3.8 stage2 with steel center 2 main caps. I would say It will handle way more power than you can ever use on the street, I ran 132+ with mine a while ago and plan on going 140+ this year. When I took it apart everything looked great.

i wouldnt be afraid to go to 1200hp with it

how can one tell the difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 3.8's? i know the casting number is the same, the oil pickup cant be the only thing separating the two?

Not sure if the stage 1 is a 4 bolt main like this stage 2 is???

thats a good point, i referred back to gnttype.com which stated the (block pictured) had room for 4 bolt mains but werent installed. i shouldve figured that meant the block had to be tapped for them or something.

btw to the op- very nice piece, best of luck with it.

how can one tell the difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 3.8's? i know the casting number is the same, the oil pickup cant be the only thing separating the two?

The block casting is the same. The Stage I blocks come with production style main caps and oiling system. The oil passages that run lengthways thru the block on a Stage I intersect the lifter bores like a stock block does. On a Stage II they were moved out board so to get oiling to the lifter bores you have to drill holes from the passages to the lifter bores. This is why you see allen screws or plugs adjacent to each lifter bore in the lifter valley. A Stage I block isn't drilled for 14 head bolts either. They only have 8.

Neal

The block casting is the same. The Stage I blocks come with production style main caps and oiling system. The oil passages that run lengthways thru the block on a Stage I intersect the lifter bores like a stock block does. On a Stage II they were moved out board so to get oiling to the lifter bores you have to drill holes from the passages to the lifter bores. This is why you see allen screws or plugs adjacent to each lifter bore in the lifter valley. A Stage I block isn't drilled for 14 head bolts either. They only have 8.

Neal

Thanks for the info Neal!! I saw the extra holes for 14 bolt heads and the lifter bores looked different to me....So, are the allen screws or plugs only there to keep debris out until the engine is built?? Otherwise how would they get oil if the holes are needed????

The lifter oil feed is on the outside of the lifter bores. You drill through the the lifter valley to the other side of the bore to hit it, then plug the hole in the valley.

The lifter oil feed is on the outside of the lifter bores. You drill through the the lifter valley to the other side of the bore to hit it, then plug the hole in the valley.

Ok that makes sense!! Just looking at little holes on the outside had me wondering how that could be a sufficient way to oil the lifter bores.....

i got this 3.8 block,come with cunningham rods,bms 3.625crank and je pistons.just wonder if anyone has had goodluck with this, as street motor and their powerlevels.just looking for opinions.
2013-01-01_18-06-47_161.jpg

2013-01-01_18-07-30_15.jpg

2013-01-01_18-07-19_745.jpg

Wow is that a thing of beauty.

i wouldnt be afraid to go to 1200hp with it
In theory how much HP is a S2 3.8L block capable of? I'm sorry for sending you such a long PM, if you simply deleted I wouldn't blame you.

MCH86GN said:
In theory how much HP is a S2 3.8L block capable of? I'm sorry for sending you such a long PM, if you simply deleted I wouldn't blame you.

Never got a PM. Other than the cracking problems they had externally the mains would go 1200hp at least.

Never got a PM. Other than the cracking problems they had externally the mains would go 1200hp at least.
Glad the PM didn't make it to you. I don't want to waste your time. Thanks for the info.

Got to love that glyptal coating. I have it on four different engines. I clean my blocks and it doesn't come off.

Back