How to fix oil blow by?

Time for a freshening up/rebuild. A vacuum pump? Never seen one on one of our motors unless it was a race car with a dry sump oil system.

If it's blowing oil out of everything and your exhaust is blue and the turbo isn't blowing raw oil out the tail pipes, it may be time.

Do you hear a lot of piston slap when it's cold?

Im guessing he is referring to the oil pushing out the breathers under full boost. This is a common problem with any boosted motor.
I made a nice aluminum breather for the PS valve cover a while back.
IMG_1041[1].JPG

Installing -12 AN fittings and hoses to both valve covers and running them to a remote catch can, also did away with the PCV.

Last edited:
Hey Paul,

Like suggested, catch can's are the best way to eliminate oil from the valve cover breathers. I would never eliminate the pcv but do make sure it is in good working condition. It acts as a check valve and should seal shut under boost.

Rick

Hey Paul,

Like suggested, catch can's are the best way to eliminate oil from the valve cover breathers. I would never eliminate the pcv but do make sure it is in good working condition. It acts as a check valve and should seal shut under boost.

Rick
Just wondering why you wouldn't eliminate the pcv? I feel like that is one of the best mods I have made on my car. I also installed a drivers side valve cover on the passenger side, and I run a Metco breather on both valve covers. I also drilled out the openings in the breathers too have as much flow as possible with minimum velocity.

Just wondering why you wouldn't eliminate the pcv? I feel like that is one of the best mods I have made on my car. I also installed a drivers side valve cover on the passenger side, and I run a Metco breather on both valve covers. I also drilled out the openings in the breathers too have as much flow as possible with minimum velocity.

The real question is why would one eliminate it? It closes shut under boost and eliminates itself. The only time it's working is when the motor is in vacuum. Unless it's faulty and allowing boost into crank case.

The PCV plays a important role pulling moisture and crank case emissions out that would otherwise be deposited in the oil. Not to mention it keeps the noxious fumes out of the cabin. Your girl friend will be much happier too!

Hey Paul,

Rick
thanks for info Rick

The real question is why would one eliminate it? It closes shut under boost and eliminates itself. The only time it's working is when the motor is in vacuum. Unless it's faulty and allowing boost into crank case.

The PCV plays a important role pulling moisture and crank case emissions out that would otherwise be deposited in the oil. Not to mention it keeps the noxious fumes out of the cabin. Your girl friend will be much happier too!
Keeps the throttle body cleaner, and under boost those fumes will blow out through the breathers anyway. As far as the moisture it's pulling out under vacuum that does make sense to me. I'm not saying never, but I rarely have smelled fumes inside my car. Running a catch can with long hoses to it off of the valve covers creates a lot of velocity through those hoses, and that right there will carry extra oil to the can. I believe Paul's problem is a bad gasket somewhere. Not blow by through his existing breathers. Once I eliminated my pcv I finally was able to pinpoint my leak which would only occur while driving, and not when idling under vacuum. Bad oil pan gasket. I have seen no negatives since I've eliminated the pcv.

Attachments

• 1424920692439.jpg
    1424920692439.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 1424920732821.jpg
    1424920732821.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 221