You can type here any text you want

How to identify drop spindles?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T Spool

My car is lowered I would say 2-3 inches, it is not your typical 1 inch drop springs. How can I identify if it was lowered by drop spindles or cut coil springs? The bottom side of my upper control arms rest right on the rubber bumpers on top of the lower control arms. Does that mean I have cut coils? Are there any identifying marks on a drop spindle I could look for or any measurements I could take? Thanks for the help!

Not all drop spindles are made by Bell Tech. As a matter of fact BT doesn't make their own spindles. I have a set of theirs from about 15 years ago and there is nothing to ID who made them. The factory GM stuff should have an eight digit casting number on them. Look for a 8 digit casting number starting with a 14. I dont have any specs on how far the C/L of the spindle is from the lower ball joint to compare them to.

Eric,

LH spindle 459755, RH spindle 459756. Are these GM #'s? I don't see GM or Bell Tech stamped anywhwere. I guess I could always go to a junkyard and look at G body spindles, but does anybody have a car in their garage on jack stands that you could take a quick look at? TIA

So it sounds like they are factory, but not G body spindles? This makes it tough for me to figure out how to get a 1-1.5 inch drop when I don't even know what my spindles are from? Last thing I want to do is install new 1 inch drop springs and find out that the spindles were what dropped my car 3 inches to begin with. A 4 inch drop, not cool :eek:

No, those are the stock G-body spindles. That casting number goes back to the late 70's. I was thinking the castings should have come close to the latest part number which starts with a 14. They are stock G-body spindles.

Thanks so much. I have learned alot from many of your posts. I appreciate the help!

3"--4"?! Does it roll? Sounds like hacked coils or heated coils since the spindle is OEM part #s. Get a new spring and post before and afters. I am curiouse what a 3"+ drop looks like.

I would say it's more like 2 1/2 inch drop. I run Weld draglite 3 1/2 inch up front with 25 1/2 inch tires and the fender well sits about an inch lower than the tops of the tires. I was going to lose the sway bar, install a mini starter and an F body alum radiator and see where I am at before I change the springs. The real test will be if it hooks at all at the track, if not they are coming off! I was told the springs were Moroso trick springs by the previous owner, but he did not install them so who knows? All I care about is going straight and hooking. Don't care about the corner burning stuff.....

Back