Huge Oil Leak

Nick McCardle

Looks like it's coming from the back area of the oil filter housing/lower oil pump cover. It's not the turbo oil line above it, or the sending unit, or the brass fitting that goes into the block. It's not the gasket for the housing/cover, not the o-ring for the oil cooler or either line, not the oil filter, not the pan. It's a constant drip, almost stream. What do I look at next? Front/timing cover?

I replaced 3 oil cooler fitting o-rings and 3 oil pan gaskets before I finally found that the front cover was leaking under boost, but the car wouldn't leak at idle. Its worth it to pull it off and rule that out too if you can. It really doesn't take too long, if you're motivated.

I once had a damper (for the stock timing chain) break and punch a small hole in the timing cover. That leaked quite a bit.

I replaced 3 oil cooler fitting o-rings and 3 oil pan gaskets before I finally found that the front cover was leaking under boost, but the car wouldn't leak at idle. Its worth it to pull it off and rule that out too if you can. It really doesn't take too long, if you're motivated.

Yeah, the reason I know all of what I mentioned doesn't leak is because I've done the following...
Re-done the teflon on all of the oil line threads
Replaced o-ring for oil cooler adapter
Replaced pan gasket
Replaced filter housing/oil pump gasket

I'm now without the intercooler bracket to better view where the leak is. Looks as if it must be the front cover, and it leaks at idle. What's involved in replacing the gasket? I've had this car apart so many times in the past few weeks for oil leaks I'm sick of it. AutoZone is showing part Felpro part number TCS45930 with rubber seals for the Timing Cover Gasket. Would this be what I'm looking for and the best option?

I've got a deaf ear and blind eye when it comes to locating noises and leaks, so it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that the reason I could never get the oil cooler line to quit seeping oil was because it was dripping down from the turbo drain line - that flat gasket was leaking. You mentioned a turbo oil line but I think you were talking about the feed line, not the big bellows line. The drain lines have also been known to crack, too.

Timing cover gasket replacement involves removing all the front accessories, IE: water pump, PS pulley, alternator, intercooler, upper/lower radiator hoses, and disconnecting fuel lines, removing cam sensor and front cover. I used the gasket from a FelPro complete gasket set, so I don't have a part number. It really isnt' that hard or time consuming, you just have to be patient and make damn sure nothing gets into the oil pan (unless you wanna do that again too!)

I've got a deaf ear and blind eye when it comes to locating noises and leaks, so it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that the reason I could never get the oil cooler line to quit seeping oil was because it was dripping down from the turbo drain line - that flat gasket was leaking. You mentioned a turbo oil line but I think you were talking about the feed line, not the big bellows line. The drain lines have also been known to crack, too.

It's not the drain line either, I've been through that before with Buicks and DSMs- horrible design of a hose. I had the turbo off earlier this week to ensure that along with the feed line. It's bone dry until the rear area of the oil pump gasket near the cover.

Guess I'm off to the parts store for the needed gaskets. Should be a fun project for one day this weekend..:rolleyes: At least after this I'll have new gaskets all over almost.

Front cover!!!!

$100.00 say's it's the front cover gasket! ;) I just went through it twice! word of advice: don't over torque the front cover bolts!! ( 20ft lbs ).. After you get the front cover off, take a wet/dry vac and suck out the radiator fluid out of the water jackets! that way it won't drip constantly while your trying to keep it dry... put it back on and let it dry over night. Hope that helps!

Scot w.

Is this a new cover or a used one? I had an aftermarket one do this to me. I landed up getting a new GM cover and problem solved.:smile:

Before you pull it all apart, you should consider using the uv dye to track the leak. The uv stuff with the glasses and uv light really can help. Clean it all up, add the dye, start it up and lay under the car with the light. You will see exactly where the leak is. The dye is harmless and will not hurt your car.
I worked for me. I was chasing a leak for a month. I used the dye and located it immediately. Do it in a dark garage, because the stuff glows.

Before you pull it all apart, you should consider using the uv dye to track the leak. The uv stuff with the glasses and uv light really can help. Clean it all up, add the dye, start it up and lay under the car with the light. You will see exactly where the leak is. The dye is harmless and will not hurt your car.
I worked for me. I was chasing a leak for a month. I used the dye and located it immediately. Do it in a dark garage, because the stuff glows.
Dye is fine but From the looks of post #4 he replaced about everything that could leak in that area except the front cover gasket. Mine leaked right behind the oil pump too and i done everything i could first before replacing the front cover gasket, when i replaced it the first time i torqued it down too tight and it only lasted 1,200miles, done it the second time and had absolutely NO leaks at all. Iv'e just been there twice, that's my .02 worth.

Scot w.

Hey Nick?
What front cover are you using?
OEM GM?
High volume casted in China?

When I was at PTE, we stopped selling the front covers that were made over seas because of casting issues and leakage problems as reported by customers. Before you go through the trouble of taking the entire front cover off, take off the oil pump housing and look at the bolt holes that bolt the oil pump housing to the cover. If one of the bolt holes has very little surface area for the gasket too seal against, I can assure you that oil is getting past the gasket. That is a very high pressure area and it doesn't take much for oil to leak past that less than 1mm sealing area around the bolt hole. Been there, fought that battle 3 times before my friend got so mad he said screw it and bought a new GM front cover. When we held both covers side by side, you could see where the casting had shifted in the overseas cover and affected the sealing surface of the gasket, vs the OEM GM front cover.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

Just got around to getting the cover off today. It was definitely the gasket, you can see where the oil has been bypassing near the oil pump area. Everything is cleaned and sitting to ensure dryness tonight and will install tomorrow. Will start Monday and hope for no leaks!

Everything together, start the car.
Leak looks as big or bigger than before. Quick look under the car and can see it running down the pump cover and down the filter, seemingly coming from the same area on the front cover. Won't be able to tell until I can get some things off but needless to say I am very :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: :frown: :frown: :mad: :(

you do know there are 2 types of gaskets for the front cover:confused: I use to get them in engine gasket sets .. both are very similar BUT not at the oil filter area:eek: .. did you try the gasket on the front cover or just put it on the block and bolted the front cover on ??

Did you check to make sure all of your mating surfaces are flat? If not I would do that and also hold the cover up to a halogen lamp and see if you can see any cracks. Before I did anything though I'd use a uv dye and see if you can pinpoint the leak %100.

hmmm, how about an idea i had about your situation ? simulate an oil pump prime.....with a drill. cold engine. spin oil pump shaft,look for leak on an engine that wont burn or bite you. what do you guys think?

hmmm, how about an idea i had about your situation ? simulate an oil pump prime.....with a drill. cold engine. spin oil pump shaft,look for leak on an engine that wont burn or bite you. what do you guys think?

some don't leak till they are hot :redface: