You can type here any text you want

I hear the Buick guys...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo Brooks

know it all when it comes to getting started with FAST.
Tomorrow we are getting ready to start my buddys car - a mustang complete with 357 cu. in.,C4, and PT76GTSH. Problem is that it has no tuneup at all in the fast and I am not that familiar with it. I am very familiar with tuning practice so that is of no concern (my own turbo car makes 688 rwhp using a tweecer).. just the FAST.
Anyone have any good pointers? Or places to go to get started on the tune?

I am a n00b to the fast.. so take it easy on me ;)

TIA

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
Were are you located? If your near CT ill help out.

nah.. unfortunately I am located in Ft.Worth, Tx...I just looked at the help file.. It really dont look that hard. It appears to be that you have to get the ECU hooked up first to get the pre-loaded file to modify, right? I didn't see a way to start from scratch..and it wouldn't let me save changes to the pre-existing file in the FAST... sound right?

You can do any saving of files till the ecm is hooked to the laptop for the first time. Just go in and do all the firing order and fuel specs,(injector size) It should set up a decent file to start and run it on.Let me know if i can help

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
You can do any saving of files till the ecm is hooked to the laptop for the first time. Just go in and do all the firing order and fuel specs,(injector size) It should set up a decent file to start and run it on.Let me know if i can help

I sure appreciate the offer. We have a few things to finish up tomorrow morning and hope to fire it off for the first time (sometime in the afternoon.) I'll post up as soon as it runs :D

If you are starting from scratch, I would basically start like this:

- Before you even get near the car, load up C-Com and play with it. Learn how to adjust tables, look at all of the tables and ponder what each one does. Learn how to log, how to overlay the log on the VE table, and make sure that you have the right parameters being recorded (I use temp, timing, actual A/F, Target A/F, O2 corr%, % Duty Cycle, and TPS position). This is the best time you will ever invest in the FAST system. Learn how the menus are set up, and become agile at moving back and forth between tables (i.e. go from A/F table to VE table to IAC during cranking table).

- Use the VE table that came with it. It is a decent starting point for most cars, enough to get the car running usually.

- Set the air/fuel table to around 13.5:1 in the "idle" area of the table, about 14:1 in the "driving" area of the table, and probably 11.0:1 in the WOT portion of the table.

- Make sure you have O2 correction active.

- Play with the VE tables so that in each cell, so that the O2 correction is 5% or less. If you can get a cell to 3% correction, then that is close enough to perfect.

- Do a few less-than-WOT runs to get your VE table close (i.e. less than 10%). Once you are close, you can do some WOT runs and let the WB correct the rest of the way, but keep logging & getting those VE values closer and closer.

-Bob Cunningham

I work near DFW airport....I might be availiable after 5 if you still haven't got it all figured out.

Originally posted by bobc455
If you are starting from scratch, I would basically start like this:

- Before you even get near the car, load up C-Com and play with it. Learn how to adjust tables, look at all of the tables and ponder what each one does. Learn how to log, how to overlay the log on the VE table, and make sure that you have the right parameters being recorded (I use temp, timing, actual A/F, Target A/F, O2 corr%, % Duty Cycle, and TPS position). This is the best time you will ever invest in the FAST system. Learn how the menus are set up, and become agile at moving back and forth between tables (i.e. go from A/F table to VE table to IAC during cranking table).

- Use the VE table that came with it. It is a decent starting point for most cars, enough to get the car running usually.

- Set the air/fuel table to around 13.5:1 in the "idle" area of the table, about 14:1 in the "driving" area of the table, and probably 11.0:1 in the WOT portion of the table.

- Make sure you have O2 correction active.

- Play with the VE tables so that in each cell, so that the O2 correction is 5% or less. If you can get a cell to 3% correction, then that is close enough to perfect.

- Do a few less-than-WOT runs to get your VE table close (i.e. less than 10%). Once you are close, you can do some WOT runs and let the WB correct the rest of the way, but keep logging & getting those VE values closer and closer.

-Bob Cunningham

Bob.. I appreciate the information.. I kinda had planned on something like that in the first place. What or Where does your car run at in the VE table? I am assuming something in the 70-80 range, right? Unfortunately the car is not really a "street" car so here at my house, driving it around it out of the question. We may take it back to my friends house - who lives in the country - to tune it...it's several miles either way before you get into "town"

originally posted by Grandnat
I work near DFW airport....I might be availiable after 5 if you still haven't got it all figured out.

Dude.. I appreciate the offer but it would be quite a drive for ya.. I think I can get it running.. and he plans on taking it to a local "tuner" who has a whole bunch of fast cars under his belt.. I just want to get it to idle etc...after he puts a tune on the car I will maintain it from then on out most likely. Thanks again.. Look for it at kennedale this weekend..

Originally posted by Grandnat
He is not on the board

hmm.. well he is going to tune the car completely tomorrow and we should be going to the track tomorrow night if everything goes as planned. Do you go to Kennedale? maybe we have met ..

Originally posted by Turbo Brooks
What or Where does your car run at in the VE table? I am assuming something in the 70-80 range, right?

My car runs about 82-84 at WOT, but I am running a NA big block. Therefore I have a 1-bar sensor and don't have to cope with the increased air temp from boost, etc. Obviously when I'm not at WOT, the VE is less- 42-44 for idle, and 50-60 for highway driving.

-Bob C.

My car runs about 82-84 at WOT, but I am running a NA big block. Therefore I have a 1-bar sensor and don't have to cope with the increased air temp from boost, etc. Obviously when I'm not at WOT, the VE is less- 42-44 for idle, and 50-60 for highway driving.

-Bob C.

Good deal.. once again I appreciate the help..I should have some results later this weekend.

Yes brook I think I met you at Kennedale. you have the red twin T63 car?

very impressive car if that is you.

As far as VE goes I run 26 at idle and around 96 at WOT..... but that is TOTALLY subjective. It is going to vary depending on injector size, fuel pressure, Boost psi, RPM etc.

just set the idle VE to 13.5, cruise at around 14 and WOT at something conservative like 11.5.

I run 13.5 at idle and 11.8 at WOT. but you might want to start at 11.0:1 like Bob said just to be on the safe side.

Billy will take care of all this..... you have no worries.

Originally posted by Grandnat
Yes brook I think I met you at Kennedale. you have the red twin T63 car?

very impressive car if that is you.

As far as VE goes I run 26 at idle and around 96 at WOT..... but that is TOTALLY subjective. It is going to vary depending on injector size, fuel pressure, Boost psi, RPM etc.

just set the idle VE to 13.5, cruise at around 14 and WOT at something conservative like 11.5.

I run 13.5 at idle and 11.8 at WOT. but you might want to start at 11.0:1 like Bob said just to be on the safe side.

Billy will take care of all this..... you have no worries.

Yeah.. that's me. :D Have I seen your car? as luck would have it.. BIlly is going to be busy tomorrow so the tune will have to wait till next weekend.. I may mess with it some during the week - to see how close I can get it.. I did get to chat with him some tonight while he was there tuning another car (for a different friend) Billy definately knows his stuff..

you sent me an email the other day, but i have no access to that computer can you post it in here?

How did you make out?

-Bob Cunningham

Well we had many problems (as usual with a completely new setup). I thought it would be a simple get in and fire it up (like it should have been) and drive off into the sunset type of thing.. boy was I wrong. We chased probems all day Friday to try to make it ready to tune Friday night. It was not getting spark or fuel which told me the FAST was not operating correctly. I was told to check this and check that ... blah blah.. Nothing. So maybe it has something to do with the MSD.. Nope. Maybe a ground. Nope. Maybe the distributor. Nope. Maybe the TFI module. Nope. Turns out some bonehead (me) wired the TFI plug backwards!!!. Once I fixed it .. it fired right up. :mad: but it was too late for the track. So I just messed with the tables here and there.. and left well enough alone. BUT.. this weekend it goes to the track no matter what... It does run now and damn it sounds good. :D

Back