ignition control module

57 chevy

What are the options for an ignition control module? All I have read says the aftermarket ones are no good. Also may need a coilpak. Been chasing a gremlin for years & discovered that the wiring harness that connects to the ign module had 1 of the pins push the socked back in the connector. Done at the factory. This may be repairable, but could not trust it.

TR6 with Chevy Silverado V6 coil or individual LS1 coils

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No doubt the TR6 would probably be a great upgrade over most of the stock type ignition modules available today. If you can fit it into your budget thats the way to go.

I like and use the ignition module from Autozone and have for some years now and it serves me well and comes with a lifetime warranty. Autozone is one of the few auto parts stores i've delt with that will refund all of your money on lifetime warranty electrical parts/components if you are not satisfied for any reason,even after years of using them. They will exchange the parts also if you suspect the part being a problem even if it tests good by them. These are my experiences with them here in my town,it may be different in other places.

Here is a link to their ignition module if you decide to give it a try.

http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...k/regal/1987/6-cylinders-7-3-8l-sfi-ohv-turbo

The Borg Warner Div. (BWD) coil pack is what i use and works great.

I use the type II ignition that uses the 3800 series II type coils which work great and are plentiful. The module comes off of other GM vehicles. I've been running this setup for years at 25+ psi with NGK YR5 plugs with zero issues. It's just another option if you don't want to fork the money for tr6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I would fork over the money for a TR6 and cut something else instead. It is as much a reliability piece as well as a performance piece. In the big picture, is like a scanmaster, translator, and powerlogger. All are almost required for a car faster than stock IMO.

Also those modules are made as cheap as possible with el cheapo parts (electronics inside) that have no business in a performance application.

I did not have luck from the tr6, burned up coil packs on brand new wiring equipment and plugs. Had to gap at .020 to keep from sputtering. So I went back to original ign module and no issues since, actually quite nice. For some it just doesnt work, as in my case.

I use the type II ignition that uses the 3800 series II type coils which work great and are plentiful. The module comes off of other GM vehicles. I've been running this setup for years at 25+ psi with NGK YR5 plugs with zero issues. It's just another option if you don't want to fork the money for tr6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is one route id like to try

I did not have luck from the tr6, burned up coil packs on brand new wiring equipment and plugs. Had to gap at .020 to keep from sputtering. So I went back to original ign module and no issues since, actually quite nice. For some it just doesnt work, as in my case.