IMPORTANT: ESC Retard!!!

HighPSI

Staff member
I need to make everyone aware that there may be a glitch with ESC retard on cars running flash 56. Please feel free to email or call me and I will email you a new "flash" and instruct you how to do the flash update. You don't have to be a customer of mine for my assistance. Later today, I will attempt to attach the flash update in this post. If you are using a knock sensor, I strongly recommend doing the re-flash.

Before the flash get's released. Here's how you flash a Buick using a Casper adaptor harness:

1) Do not try to open the flash update. Just save it somewhere on the laptop you use to tune your car.

2) Open up the XFI program. Plug the communication cable in. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COMMUNICATE

3) With the ignition key turned OFF, go to the factory ALDL connector by the radio. Take a piece of wire (or a paperclip) and jumper the right two terminals in the top row of the connector.

4) Turn the ignition key "on". You should now see the "SES" light flashing rapidly and the "crank" light on the XFI box will be flashing.

5) Go to your laptop, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COMMUNICATE. Click FILE, then FLASH XFI ECU. It will then prompt you for the location of the flash file you saved from this email. Select that file. Watch the screen very closely. It will show flash% and then it will verify. MAKE SURE IT VERIFIES

6) Once the above is complete, turn off the ignition and unhook the ALDL jumper wire.

That's it! If you have ANY questions or want me to walk you through this on the phone, just call

What Flash do I have?

Thanks for this heads up Cal.

I just noticed this weekend that when I log ESC retard (2deg -4deg) the timing logged simultaneously does not change. I assumed it was pulling timing but just not displaying the change. Now I'm wondering if that means I need the flash and how do I tell?

I just got my XFI from you a couple months ago so I'm thinking its prolly up-to date.

I also noticed the timing retard vs temp does not change the timing displayed in the log either. Is it not pulling timing as well?

Rick

Thanks for this heads up Cal.

I just noticed this weekend that when I log ESC retard (2deg -4deg) the timing logged simultaneously does not change. I assumed it was pulling timing but just not displaying the change. Now I'm wondering if that means I need the flash and how do I tell?

I just got my XFI from you a couple months ago so I'm thinking its prolly up-to date.

I also noticed the timing retard vs temp does not change the timing displayed in the log either. Is it not pulling timing as well?

Rick

Nope, thats this issue right there!! That means you need the flash. Everyone needs to look and see and they will find the same issue that you stated. If esc retard goes up and logged timing does not go down during that time frame then you know u will need the update. My car logged 20 degrees of knock for the entire 1/8th mile run and the timing never showed a change. Luckily it was false knock.... The flash does make the XFI operate as it should.

OK, I'm pretty sure I have emailed everyone who asked. If I missed anyone, please let me know through an email or pm with your email.

This is what you should see once the flash is complete. Blue is Spark (BTDC) and red is ESC retard. The first pic is before the flash, 2nd is after the flash has been installed. You can test this with the car off idle and taking something and tapping near or around the knock sensor. You will be able to see the difference!!! Both were set initially around 30 deg of timing

Attachments

• before flash.jpg
    before flash.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,199
  • after flash.jpg
    after flash.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,206
esc timing question

Cal,
On that last run my timing never decreased and the new Casper knock sensor went off although its not loud enough to hear until after the run. Should Fast have pulled out timing?
Did yonu already re flash mine with the tune of the esc timing mentioned above or does that need to be done?
Thanks

Sent flash to hwholder and 413turbo.

Clay, your computer has been updated already.

Thanks Cal, as a side note, i noted the now the voltage data problem everyone talks about appears to be fixed
First start after reflash i noticed the voltage was now reading 13.6-13.6 before flash was reading the typical wrong 12.0.to 12.6...
was un update for this function included in the flash as well?
Happy with the new readings!
-Dan

Very observant, Dan. Yes this flash also improves the voltage reading in the XFI along with a couple other minor issues. I have already voiced my opinion to FAST about making this a permanent reflash. I am installing it in every XFI before I ship it to the customer.