Interesting turbo/dyno test tonight= bigger isnt always better

We will also be doing a before and after dyno test with Cal Hartlines Coil on Plug system on GNBRETT's XFI equipped car in the next few weeks.
We did some testing with it on Bison's other car a few weeks back but were short on time to play with different plugs/gaps.
The motor purred with the coil on plug right to 6600 smoothly with a .030 gap.

we could just drill and tap the plug at my factory O2 location. It has a hex on the outside so it will still be easy to install and remove after drilling through the center. Backpressure will be high on these 3 bolts over 500hp.
We have to get our hands on a 4 or 5 bar map sensor also.

I will be posting results from other type of tests also when i get back next week.
I have before and after results with a torque convertor change on a mid 400HP car that are pretty cool.

before and after

Looking forward to those results. I have a restalled 12" convertor now. Wanting to try a 9.5" or 10", just wondering if it will be worth it,maybe your tests will help :)

Love that Garrett housing!

Good job and great info Otto! :)

Finally, validation of when I have been a fan of for years.

I always try to talk my customers into keeping the Garrett housing on their street car for the 40 and 60 series turbos.

More bottom end response, and a lower stall converter can be used, also the car is more drivable around town.

Great work Otto and Brian!

It is so refreshing to see some real world testing done and sharing it with the community..... so many people out there won't share anything they find out unless you are in the "click".

Again..... great work!

Hmmm. This data is making me a little more at ease about only having the .63 on my turbo. But then again my champions r gunna flow more air then those heads.

Im not worried tho, knowing it's bison n Otto leaning under the hood I have no doubts about 575whp @26-27lbs

Great job guys! The backpressure guage will tell the rest of the story. I have heard some vendors say a dyno is a waste of money. I will continue to argue that it is not. It allows you to SAFELY do back to back comparisons while keeping the variables to a minimum.
I also want to say a big THANKS to Bison for the COP dyno testing on his car last week. I am very pleased with the results, so far. We'll save that for another thread after you back it up with Brett's car. Have fun this weekend Otto and I'll talk with you next week.

Being that the numbers are so close makes me think there is some other common limiting factor.

now this is the kind of info that a street guy should be paying attention to.now the big question is at what point does that smaller housing become restrictive?with ta49 .63 garret,411 geared stock motor with a mild port job on the head i could leave at 1 psi and 60ft high 1.5's on a bfg drag radial same way i drove it on the street.the car would go 11.58 at only 20psi trapping 117mph.put a pte .63 on car would go 11.40s at 120mph but boost had to be 25psi,below 22psi the smaller housing was quicker.

This is very good info. Thanks for putting the work into testing something those of us on a budget can relate to. Money is running out for my project, so I'm sticking with my current turbo. May not be all that bad considering I'm more of a low end power kinda guy. Here is my build. How do you guys thing it will run?

Stock crank, rods, Wiseco 8.5:1 forged pistons. (All ARP fasteners)
212 / 212 flat tappet cam
Champion Iron heads
Stock ported intake
Stock headers
Precision 3200 converter
#60 injectors
TT chip (pump gas and alky probably running 21 degrees of timing and 24-25psi of boost)
Razor alky kit
GBodyparts 23 row SLIC
TE-44 with Precision .63 turbine housing
LS1 MAF and Gen 2 Translator
Mease 3" DP with Racegate

Being that the numbers are so close makes me think there is some other common limiting factor.
The answer is head flow. These haeds have stock valves with the valves ground, a little bowl blending and thats about it. Still have the full guides and most of the short turn radius is still in there like they were cast. With good air this combo will run 125mph in th equarter. To run that fast on a stock headed engine you are over 30psi. If i ran it to 32-33psi it would make more power.

This is very good info. Thanks for putting the work into testing something those of us on a budget can relate to. Money is running out for my project, so I'm sticking with my current turbo. May not be all that bad considering I'm more of a low end power kinda guy. Here is my build. How do you guys thing it will run?

Stock crank, rods, Wiseco 8.5:1 forged pistons. (All ARP fasteners)
212 / 212 flat tappet cam
Champion Iron heads
Stock ported intake
Stock headers
Precision 3200 converter
#60 injectors
TT chip (pump gas and alky probably running 21 degrees of timing and 24-25psi of boost)
Razor alky kit
GBodyparts 23 row SLIC
TE-44 with Precision .63 turbine housing
LS1 MAF and Gen 2 Translator
Mease 3" DP with Racegate
With tall 29" tires and 30psi and converter locked it will run tens. More turbo would help you a lot