Interesting turbo/dyno test tonight= bigger isnt always better

Much appreciation to you guys for your time and effort. Really good to see this going on.

Right when I think I have my combo nailed down :rolleyes:...Bison and Otto come with proof that bigger is NOT always better. :eek:Thanks for sharing!

With tall 29" tires and 30psi and converter locked it will run tens. More turbo would help you a lot

Thanks bison. I built it to handle more turbo in case I want to go bigger, but really don't care to hit 10's at this point. I'm building this primarily as a street car that can pull mid 11's on pump gas and alky. I'm hoping my little 44 will come on fast and hard with this combo.

I'm glad you guys are doing this testing as I'm still trying to figure out what turbo I will eventually want to upgrade to.

Brian I have a 66 with 85 housing here if you need to try that too with my big Turd turbo .:D

I already have one if them. If its a 65 trim ex id like to try it on something with better heads to see how it stacks up against the big wheel when you start leaning on it. The big ex wheel should out run it a lot over 5500 rpm with the boost up over 25psi and good heads.

I love these results! Good work guys! I have had similar results with my 9.5 ptc converter, 6050rpm at 142mph in 3rd gear, just under the 4% slip mark.

Thanks bison. I built it to handle more turbo in case I want to go bigger, but really don't care to hit 10's at this point. I'm building this primarily as a street car that can pull mid 11's on pump gas and alky. I'm hoping my little 44 will come on fast and hard with this combo.

I'm glad you guys are doing this testing as I'm still trying to figure out what turbo I will eventually want to upgrade to.

We will see how going from a ta49 to a ta6265 with heads and cam hopefully next week.
Now since I am on a cruise ship Im gonna go grab drink and enjoy a few days off

We will see how going from a ta49 to a ta6265 with heads and cam hopefully next week.
Now since I am on a cruise ship Im gonna go grab drink and enjoy a few days off

have fun...thanks for the info guys.subscribed. interested what the limit of my ta49 is....

have fun...thanks for the info guys.subscribed. interested what the limit of my ta49 is....

If you werent afraid of boost id guess it could go 10.60's at 3500 lbs. You need some mid 30's boost though.

Since you guys stay UP north where it's a tad cooler and some of us DOWN south where it's hot. Would you mind if it's not to much to ask recording or telling the outside air temp? or the Air temp entering the turbo on the dyno? {IAT}
(I know Bison said "with good air") but just a base line figure or rough estimate of temperature your running these turbo's, please. Or would it not really matter?

You know like:
the outside air is ___*(be it in the shop or outside)
the air temp in front of the radiator or entering the car is ___*
then the rest of your results....
If it's too much don't worry about it and carry on as usual, I'm still watching and reading, regardless..:)

Just wanting to get an idea like, if its such and such degrees I may get good traction but no since in making any more runs beating on the car since the weather is too hot. Save it for better air day.
for example, like Bison gave in his 1st post.

I know all variables will NOT be the same. But say like this certain turbo is running pretty good in the ranges of 80*-90* outside Air temp or Inlet air temp. If it's higher than that-- too hot-- and will probably run worse. If the temps are less than the 80* you MAY run better and can inch up the boost.:redface:
Or am I thinking too much into it.

Since you guys stay UP north where it's a tad cooler and some of us DOWN south where it's hot. Would you mind if it's not to much to ask recording or telling the outside air temp? or the Air temp entering the turbo on the dyno? {IAT}
(I know Bison said "with good air") but just a base line figure or rough estimate of temperature your running these turbo's, please. Or would it not really matter?

You know like:
the outside air is ___*(be it in the shop or outside)
the air temp in front of the radiator or entering the car is ___*
then the rest of your results....
If it's too much don't worry about it and carry on as usual, I'm still watching and reading, regardless..:)

Just wanting to get an idea like, if its such and such degrees I may get good traction but no since in making any more runs beating on the car since the weather is too hot. Save it for better air day.
for example, like Bison gave in his 1st post.

I know all variables will NOT be the same. But say like this certain turbo is running pretty good in the ranges of 80*-90* outside Air temp or Inlet air temp. If it's higher than that-- too hot-- and will probably run worse. If the temps are less than the 80* you MAY run better and can inch up the boost.:redface:
Or am I thinking too much into it.
85* at the dyno and 74* inlet temp at the lowest for the 61 turbo and 79* at the lowest for the GTK. About 1% loss or gain for every 10* gain or loss in inlet air temp. The sensor is mounted in the plenum area. h

Subcribed. It will be interesting to see what more turbo will do with better heads. I'd be very interested in seeing real-world data regarding diffrerent cams with specific combos. Just more proof that numbers which add up on paper don't always perform as expected in the real world. Very interesting indeed.

I knew I left too early, you guys are having way too much fun.

Great thread guys, so far in a nut shell, a turbo can only push what the heads/combo will flow..... one of the best threads I've read in a while :biggrin:

Chuck

If the GTK-850 was a used unit from Boostednutz it is my old (low mile) turbo sold to him last month. It has a .85 housing not a .63. It is also a 72mm unit. Cal Hartline tuned my car with this turbo on a stroked gn1 head car with an xfi. It made 560rwhp on a very stingy mustang Dyno at 24#. Doesn't sound like much but we ran my buddies 408ci mustang the same day and he made 308rwhp and ran 10.8@ 123 the night before...it spooled lightning fast on my combo with a PTC non lock up.

Datar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a brand new .96 4-bolt housing for my old GTK-850, it has a 4" v-band outlet. I will ship it to you for testing if your interested.

Datar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the restriction is going to be in the heads,,,you can create as much CFM as you want but if valves cannot displace it...you have a restriction.. you craeate a bottle neck

Curse this engineering gene of mine...! Where can we find data showing flow characteristics of unported, and ported, heads at various pressures (2 bar, 3bar, etc)? I'd like to see at what point they are simply maxed out. Combine this with compressor maps of most popular turbos and cam specs and you should be able to match up a good converter and dial in your combo, at least on paper... But I enjoy seeing how dyno data either confirms the numbers, or simply blows them out of the water.

While it's great to know that something works or doesn't work, I want to know why. I'm just weird like that.

Thus I find these tests interesting; if the numbers don't add up to real-world perfomance, we're leaving something out of the equation and/or our math is all wrong. The test data can point us in the right direction. If I was a vendor or manufacturer, I'd follow these real world tests very closely, and given the means, I'd want to duplicate the experiment to see if our results concur.

On behalf of tech junkies everywhere: We want more! Keep it coming. :)