Interesting turbo/dyno test tonight= bigger isnt always better

If all goes as planned we will have Brian's car back on the dyno tomorrow with a TA49 and a Billet wheel TA6265 to see what we find.

Cool. That will be a great comparison. I went from a GT3255 to a 6262 Billet. It picked up a decent amount. 3-4 MPH consistently on a stock longblock. The spool was quite a bot slower too.

Here's an interesting side note: Last year my buddy's car had a stock block, stock stroke, 212-212 hyd roller, stock ported intake, precision plenum, accufab 70mm tb, ported irons, good fuel system, t-66 single bb. etc.. pulled 515hp at the wheels @ 26lbs. fast forward to two weeks ago, shortblock is now a stroker with a 224-224 cam, and a gtk 850. made 618hp with 645tq. @ 24lbs. oddly enough, when we took the car to the track, it ran only a tenth faster, and almost the same MPH as last year. :redface:

What torque convertor is he running?
a loose convertor will still show peak power on a chassis dyno
but will not get the car down the track well

Cool. That will be a great comparison. I went from a GT3255 to a 6262 Billet. It picked up a decent amount. 3-4 MPH consistently on a stock longblock. The spool was quite a bot slower too.

I did the same change over with those 3 turbos on a stock long block and found that same results, car trapped 117 before and 122 after.

I want to see how a 6152 holds up .... I think the 52 wheel is a nice compromise...

need one to test?

A.j.

send one here and we will post it after we test it. I doubt it will do anymore than the 6176 we first ran on here though.

Subscribed.

I should would love to see a TE60.
Which one? 6031,6069,6076? Send one here. I doubt it will do anymore than a TE44 or a TA49 unless it has a larger than 31 trim ex wheel. The correct torque converter will cover a lot of sins when it comes to turbo selection.

Id like to see a 3255 vs. a te44/ta49 at 28-30psi. That would settle a lot of internet BS. On paper the 3255 should stomp it everywhere but i doubt it would spool like a 44/49 with the old Garrett .63 on it and my 9.5" converter. Its amazing the difference that small ex housing makes for the butt dyno test. Its very noticeable to say the least but will not show much on a dyno. I havent been beaten on the street in this car yet except by a couple street bikes from a high roll. It wont run faster than 11.30's on the street either even though a couple of the victims cars reportedly ran much faster at the strip :rolleyes:.

send one here and we will post it after we test it. I doubt it will do anymore than the 6176 we first ran on here though.

thats kinda what i was thinking, hard to argue with the P-trim, solid all around turbine..

but I wonder if the 52 would spool a bit better on the tighter converter cars and still give the power on the stock heads?

according to your numbers it should.... right?

A.j.

Id like to see a 3255 vs. a te44/ta49 at 28-30psi. That would settle a lot of internet BS. On paper the 3255 should stomp it everywhere but i doubt it would spool like a 44/49 with the old Garrett .63 on it and my 9.5" converter. Its amazing the difference that small ex housing makes for the butt dyno test. Its very noticeable to say the least but will not show much on a dyno. I havent been beaten on the street in this car yet except by a couple street bikes from a high roll. It wont run faster than 11.30's on the street either even though a couple of the victims cars reportedly ran much faster at the strip :rolleyes:.

I can't wait to see the TE-44 results. Mine has a Precision .63 housing on it, what am I gaining / losing over a Garrett .63?

I have either a TE60 or a TA60 turbo but i'm not sure which one.

the exhaust side is stamped AIR .63 and the air side is stamped AIR .60

there is also a stamp on the side that reads CCE 60

is that enough to figure out what turbo it is?

thanks
D

I have either a TE60 or a TA60 turbo but i'm not sure which one.

the exhaust side is stamped AIR .63 and the air side is stamped AIR .60

there is also a stamp on the side that reads CCE 60

is that enough to figure out what turbo it is?

thanks
D

If you are sure it is a 60..... it is no problem to tell one from the other..... the TA 60 will have a bolt on inlet bell just like stock.

The TE 60 will have the inlet bell made onto the compressor housing..... you can't remove it.

If you are sure it is a 60..... it is no problem to tell one from the other..... the TA 60 will have a bolt on inlet bell just like stock.

The TE 60 will have the inlet bell made onto the compressor housing..... you can't remove it.

Since i'm a bit ignorant to turbos here are some pics to clrarify

thank you
D

Attachments

• IMG00310.jpeg
    IMG00310.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 807
  • IMG00311.jpeg
    IMG00311.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 803
thats kinda what i was thinking, hard to argue with the P-trim, solid all around turbine..

but I wonder if the 52 would spool a bit better on the tighter converter cars and still give the power on the stock heads?

according to your numbers it should.... right?

A.j.

It would if the converter was marginal. On the PTC 9.5", p trim, .63 Garrett combo i have it takes less .4 second to hit 29.4psi (or more :wink:) on the street with a 3-2 kickdown.