Interesting turbo/dyno test tonight= bigger isnt always better

Since i'm a bit ignorant to turbos here are some pics to clrarify

thank you
D

You would need to remove both housings and measure the wheels and post the dimensions here.

Thanks guys!

Apologies to Otto and Bison for partly kidnapping their thread. Much appreciated help. Very nice testing you guys!

Thank you
D

It would if the converter was marginal. On the PTC 9.5", p trim, .63 Garrett combo i have it takes less .4 second to hit 29.4psi (or more :wink:) on the street with a 3-2 kickdown.

thats exactly what i thought!

were on the same page... or atleast close to it.... LMAO.

Thanks Brian.

A.j.

Id like to see a 3255 vs. a te44/ta49 at 28-30psi. That would settle a lot of internet BS. On paper the 3255 should stomp it everywhere but i doubt it would spool like a 44/49 with the old Garrett .63 on it and my 9.5" converter. Its amazing the difference that small ex housing makes for the butt dyno test. Its very noticeable to say the least but will not show much on a dyno. I havent been beaten on the street in this car yet except by a couple street bikes from a high roll. It wont run faster than 11.30's on the street either even though a couple of the victims cars reportedly ran much faster at the strip :rolleyes:.

My best time with the 3255 was 11.51 with a 1.7X 60ft. I think it would have gone 11.30s with a 1.5X 60ft. I do miss that turbo it was a blast on the street. :p

We started tonight with a ta 49,we could get no more than 26#s even without a boost line on the actuator(standard unit)

The TA 49 peaked at 385 RWHP and 441 Ft Lbs
Power dropped off dramatically at 4700 which we feel is due to the
convertor Brian is using which is suited for more power than the 49 could manage.

Next the 6265 peaked at 476 RWHP and 501 Ft Lbs at 26-27#s
in comparison
The 6176 Peaked at 460 RWHP and 480 Ft Lbs

All three other turbos peaked power at 5000-5100 rpm (which is where this convertor starts to peak) but power did not drop off but around 40 RWHP by 5600.

Otto, with the larger turbos do you feel the heads held you back? Is your dyno conservative?

I'm surprised the ta 49 couldn't reach more boost. I'm also curious to see how the te 60 can perform in the mix.

you guys rule

have you guys done an OE 63 Garret VS. a 63 Precision

Not on the same turbo and the Precision .63 is more like a .73. The only Thing we neglected to do tonight was go back to the 6176 for a couple pulls to see if it changed vs last week.

Otto, with the larger turbos do you feel the heads held you back? Is your dyno conservative?
This engine needs more ex flow and all the turbos are no doubt held by the heads. This engine needs more compression too. The dyno is the same as any other dynojet without a brake and would likely be within 1% if the air was the same. 470whp=122mph@3650lbs.

This engine needs more ex flow and all the turbos are no doubt held by the heads. This engine needs more compression too. The dyno is the same as any other dynojet without a brake and would likely be within 1% if the air was the same. 470whp=122mph@3650lbs.

Thanks Brian, you guys rock!

This engine needs more ex flow and all the turbos are no doubt held by the heads. This engine needs more compression too. The dyno is the same as any other dynojet without a brake and would likely be within 1% if the air was the same. 470whp=122mph@3650lbs.[/QUOTE

Did u get those numbers from personal experience or an equation? What would 550whp at a race weight of 3750 be? (my car with champion heads/intake and roller)

Hey Otto,

The 6265 what cover was it E or S cover, if S cover is it ported? What exhaust cover being used .63 or .85?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

We started tonight with a ta 49,we could get no more than 26#s even without a boost line on the actuator(standard unit)

The TA 49 peaked at 385 RWHP and 441 Ft Lbs
Power dropped off dramatically at 4700 which we feel is due to the
convertor Brian is using which is suited for more power than the 49 could manage.

in comparison

All three other turbos peaked power at 5000-5100 rpm (which is where this convertor starts to peak) but power did not drop off but around 40 RWHP by 5600.

This should probably be a sticky in the Turbo section.:)

Hey Otto,

The 6265 what cover was it E or S cover, if S cover is it ported? What exhaust cover being used .63 or .85?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

It was a TA series 6265, 3" in 2" out with a billet inlet bell.
Ex housing was a .63

If I had a 6031 I would send it in.

I've done a track comparison with TE60 Garret vs 63 Precision: zero spool up difference, trap MPH Garret - 119.96 vs Precision MPH - 119.26

Test was not done the same day however same tune.

in comparison

Hmm..... it liked a little more compressor and a slightly tighter turbine... little less turbine weight and slightly more compressor... I think this is a good wheel match. the compromise is even.

the exhaust port is whats hurting.

26-27lbs is conservative boost... I bet if all work was done to the exhaust port and on the bowl it would really wake up in a tire frying way. then push it to 31lbs... see what happens when your doors blow back.

A.j.