You can type here any text you want

is it time for a aftermarket cam

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mayo81

i am new to the turbo buick world so if i ask a dumb question i am sorry
i just bought my first 87 grand national in late march . the guy i bought it from didnt know what was in it or done to it beside a few things he could remember .
just recently i i noticed a drop in oil pressure , and sure enough the mains were almost gone . so after tearing down my car i now have a list of what parts i have and can begin to ask questions

the turbo acording to my bore dial is at least a 60mm
it has the front mounted intercooler
keen bell upper intake ?
1.6 roller rockers
gn1 champion cylinder heads ported and pollished
fel pro head gaskets?
stock cam shaft ?
lightened crank
h beam rods
je pistons
and one of the baddest main girddels i have ever seen !!
and studs on everything

my questions are
is it time to change cam shafts ? and if so what grind?

what head gasket should i go back with ?was running about 15 pounds of boost but would like to go with more .
any other info would be greatly apreciated

sorry i dont type or spell good.

With all those mods I doubt the cam is stock. Find out what cam you have. If you change, go roller.

well the cam is a cmc which is the same brand cam that came out of my stock 88 chevy pick up so i asumed it was stock
and i wanted to go roller but dont know what grind would work best im thinking of having the heads flowed but does the same rules apply to a turbo motor? thanks for your help

Since you're new I'm gonna say...WHOA BIG FELLA! Not trying to insult or aggrivate you. Get hold of one of the builders on the board and talk to them. Before you go any further there's a lot to the Buick that can screw you up so do some reading and make sure to get a good machine shop. If you don't get the right one it'll be a nasty mess.

Since you're new I'm gonna say...WHOA BIG FELLA! Not trying to insult or aggrivate you. Get hold of one of the builders on the board and talk to them.

ugh isnt that what i put this thread here for?
and trust me im not gona take your or any ones advise and run with it ,i trust in my machine shop more than i do this forum . i am just looking for opinions on the cam to look into from people who may have been down the same road. if i cant find any valuable info i will put it back like it was it ran great . just looking to make a small inprovment while i had it apart

You might listen to the guys here more than you do the machine shop. Seems alot of TR engine problems start there. Just my .2 cents.

and trust me im not gona take your or any ones advise and run with it ,i trust in my machine shop more than i do this forum . i am just looking for opinions on the cam to look into from people who may have been down the same road. if i cant find any valuable info i will put it back like it was it ran great . just looking to make a small inprovment while i had it apart

You might want to trust the people on this board a little more ;) . There are tons of guys on here who've "been there done that". The people on this site have a WEALTH of knowledge. Some have been around these cars from the begining of time, we're not your typical import retard who spouts out advise just to be heard. IF your not here to take anyones advice, then you should pack it up and move out. I'm not trying to be a d!ck FWIW, I'm just saying you should respect those that have been around these cars :smile:

I would definatly talk to some builders on this site to help you with your setup. What kind of converter do you have? What size injectors? Give us some numbers that are on your turbo, someone will tell you what you have.

and trust me im not gona take your or any ones advise and run with it ,i trust in my machine shop more than i do this forum

1st mistake...but remember you said this...

Unless your machinist is WELL versed in the LC2 you may want to take heed..

You got guys in here running on 9's on stock original blocks....trust me they can out advise your machinist under a table...

ok its seems my my lack of typing skill is making me sound ungratefull sorry.

yes i have a very very good machine shop with turbo buick history
i was just trying to get advise but i have to say this board seems to have a hint of a bad aditude from alot of people that want everyone to know how smart they are and if you want me to kneel to your greatness i think ill just figure it out my self
go or blow either way ill learn and will never be smug to anyone looking for advise on what i know even if it cost me a fortune to learn it myself

thanks for the help mikester two you seem to be the only one that gave a stright reply without your ego getting in the way and yes it is a stock cam and i am going back with a roller

Nah at all...
You gotta understand though...lots of guys have came through the forum and the boards, not understand what they potentially have in their motors..and of course board members offer initial advice and their advice is either not taken, or not taken too well...then six months later the OP comes back on (after their engine has been blown to bits) and says "I don't understand what happened..etc etc"

Trust me the majority of people on the forums are good guys and will point you in the right direction...lots of knowledgable folk here and guys who know their stuff...

Initially your engine sounds like it has a pretty good foundation to build upon..the Champ heads are definitively some of the best out there...

Good luck and my apologies if I sounded a bit brash coming off....

Steve Chambers:D

well the cam is a cmc which is the same brand cam that came out of my stock 88 chevy pick up so i asumed it was stock
and i wanted to go roller but dont know what grind would work best im thinking of having the heads flowed but does the same rules apply to a turbo motor? thanks for your help

my weber and comp cams both said cmc between the lobes.

Welcome to the board and congratulations on the Buick Turbo!
As mentioned you have a great foundation of go fast parts already. As far as gaskets go, yes Felpro is what most of us put back in.....some put these in also RJC Head Gasket Kit

Here is a great web site to help get you up to speed Vortex Turbo Buick Performance

And again another thread that may help you decide on your cam, and other combinations. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbos-turbo-related-parts/218603-question.html

I guess you need to ask yourself, what your goals are for the car, unless you have a roll bar 11.50 is all the tracks will let you run, and you already have enough goodies on there to do that.... I would bet. Here is a video that shows why you need the safety equipment on the car when you get serious about your speed/power output. Untitled

Good Luck,

Chuck

ok its seems my my lack of typing skill is making me sound ungratefull sorry.

yes i have a very very good machine shop with turbo buick history
i was just trying to get advise but i have to say this board seems to have a hint of a bad aditude from alot of people that want everyone to know how smart they are and if you want me to kneel to your greatness i think ill just figure it out my self
go or blow either way ill learn and will never be smug to anyone looking for advise on what i know even if it cost me a fortune to learn it myself

thanks for the help mikester two you seem to be the only one that gave a stright reply without your ego getting in the way and yes it is a stock cam and i am going back with a roller

After reading over the whole thread I don't see where anybody is getting an attitude other than you in this last post...seems pretty cocky for somebody that just came here looking for advice. It's not your lack of typing skill though; we have plenty of other people on the board that can't type or spell.:p It's your deliberate wording and spouting off that does make you seem very ungrateful and unwilling to listen to experience. Several members of this board have had problems that stemmed from having a machine shop that approached the LC2 with a small block Chevy attitude, and they are only going to try and help you learn from their costly mistakes so you don't have to make your own. If you already have a machine shop that's experienced with the LC2 that's great--nobody here knew that. Just be forewarned that there have been cases where machine shops have claimed to be experienced with turbo Buicks when they actually weren't. If you want to come here to ask questions, by all means do so but don't lash out on anybody for knowing the answers (there is a distinct difference between "knowledge" and "ego"). I see you haven't posted for a few days so maybe you moved on...if so, in a way I'm sorry you didn't see this forum in a better light but then maybe it's not such a bad thing for the rest of us...:biggrin:

im still checking here every once in a while but decided that everyone here acts like this 1987 build car is to advanced for anyone but the big heads here to understand
so im gonna do this my self with my group of freinds racers and fellow mechanics and machinist for help and if anyone ask yes i will frown on turbobuick.com
i listed what i had and asked a question instead of trying to help or waiting on somene who could help to post everyone wanted to post on how that wasnt what i had and how i was wrong hmm u people are so smart u can see through my screen and down the road to my shop and tell what i have ? wtf i was wrong before i got started here so block my ip if you wish but screw u guys im going on my own maybe this 22 year old motor wont be to much for me .
rare=hard ?????

im still checking here every once in a while but decided that everyone here acts like this 1987 build car is to advanced for anyone but the big heads here to understand
so im gonna do this my self with my group of freinds racers and fellow mechanics and machinist for help and if anyone ask yes i will frown on turbobuick.com
i listed what i had and asked a question instead of trying to help or waiting on somene who could help to post everyone wanted to post on how that wasnt what i had and how i was wrong hmm u people are so smart u can see through my screen and down the road to my shop and tell what i have ? wtf i was wrong before i got started here so block my ip if you wish but screw u guys im going on my own maybe this 22 year old motor wont be to much for me .
rare=hard ?????

Its only a v6 bro, you'll figure it out. Put some new bearings in it, use "the right stuff" on that girdle you have never seen, check the lifters on that "stock" cam with "cmc" on it for concave wear, or put a roller cam in there, put some GOOD head gaskets if you plan on turning up the boost(rjc as mentioned), put it back in the car and turn it up to 29 psi on pump gas....... and come back on here the morning after and let us know how it goes.:cool:

Just a thought...if the main bearings are gone, it may be due to improper machining to begin with. A line bore or hone is usually done after that girdle is machined on, and may have not been done to spec. These engines are no strangers of low oil pressure, do a search. I hope this info helps a little bit.

oh yeah, your attitude is $hitty at best. Now that your a member here, you can do searches without even posting!! Go figure! You can use all the research and trial & error from other "nice" members, and learn how to fix your problem. Take care.....Elky (the nice guy):cool:

rare=hard ?????

heres some good advise, visit fullthrottlespeed.com and buy there roller rocker kit thats the best on the market right now, then buy a gtq70 DBB turbo and crank it up to 30lbs "ON PUMP GAS" no need for race fuel with the roller kit, then for your fuel system get yourself a walbro 307 and dont waste your money on the hot wire kit since its not needed with this pump,with this combo alone you should be well into the low 9s with your 109 block, many of board members have done this, please come back and post your time slip when youve run your beast:cool:

Alright guys, mellow out... its just a cam question

You know what they say about arguing on the internet.

:rolleyes: A.j.

I don't know why you would ask for advice if your not going to use it. I'm glad your friends and machine shop are smarter than the folks here. Your engine must have been perfectly tuned and running great while it was pounding the crap out of the bearings. Put back the way it was.

rare=hard ?????

If you don't feel you need this board then WTF are you doing coming back to it??? There are a few people here that may be a bit big-headed but the fact of the matter is, although not that "advanced" as you put it, these engines do have some peculiarities that you probably will not figure out on your own. There's a couple of other boards you could try--www.turbobuicks.com and www.gnttype.org--but then again they're just full of "azzholes" that would try to help you just like us.:biggrin:

rare=hard ?????

Dont let the door hit your ass on the way out
action-smiley-069.gif

Back