Is my engine a generic remanufactured engine based on this tag?

From what looks like a steel reinforcement, those look like they might be stock pistons from the bottom. Those are the only cast slugs you should ever consider running.

I've never noticed the stockers having such a crappy cast dish though. It might have just been your flash making it look worse than it really is.

Thanks for all the responses, I have ordered a MAHLE ORIGINAL/VICTOR REINZ HS3797 head gasket and ARP studs. Also I have a spare complete pull out from a 87. It appears to be unopened so that will be my back up plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I forgot to mention that the bearings checked out good as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does 'bearings check out good' mean?

Also, keep in mind, head studs are for an engine on the stand. You can't slide heads over studs if the short block is in the car.

True, the heads won't go over studs in the engine compartment but they can be removed with a hex key. The heads can be placed on and then the studs screwed into the block. Watch out for how much of the theads are left exposed after the studs are screwed into the block. Some may need an extra washer to space the nut above the threads far enough for clamping.

True, the heads won't go over studs in the engine compartment but they can be removed with a hex key. The heads can be placed on and then the studs screwed into the block. Watch out for how much of the theads are left exposed after the studs are screwed into the block. Some may need an extra washer to space the nut above the threads far enough for clamping.

If that was my motor i would replace all bearings, new timing chain, rings, head gasket and head studs and call it a day.