Just got the TTA back from Andersons

ttafan

I spent some money, and did without the car for 6 months but now it's almost where I want it. I have some questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. First off, I'll list what's done to the car... Precision P70 gtq Turbo, Stock intercooler w/ big neck, Campion ported iron heads, Comp cams Cam (don't know the grind, but Billy said it was radical.), ATR 3" down pipe w/ cutout, built up 200r4 trans. (hardend shaft;heavy duty clutches; shift kit, etc.) Vigilanty 4000 stall lockup converter, 95lb. injectors, Moser rearend w/ 3.73 gears, F.A.S.T. system, BFG drag radials. I think that's the important stuff to list. Billy tuned the car on the Dyno and and told me not to mess with the setup. It's putting out around 500HP. Well..... I took it to the track last weekend and here was my best time. 1/8 7.942. 60 ft. 2.079. 1/4 ET 11.951@124.08 mph....Boost at launch was about 5lbs. But check out the 60 foot. Seems high to me but the mph is haulin' a$$. When the car hits second it's like someone turned on the Nitrous. I'm not spinning tires. The car just seems sluggish off the line. NOW... for my questions..... Would installing a transbrake solve the problem? Allowing me to come off whith 10 of 15 lbs. of boost. How about a non-lockup converter? I read somewhere that a non-lockup will out accelerate a lock-up. OR.... is my problem elsewhere. I know the car is capable of much lower ET's. I just need to get it to launch harder. I've looked at other guys times on this board with the same MPH and they are in the 10's. What do you think guys?

WOW That car is hawling the mail.. :eek: Just wondering if you ran these questions by Bill himslef. He would be able to best help you pick the right parts.

But in short yes , knock down the 60 FT considerably , into the 1.5s at least and it would be a deep 10 sec car. Im sure there some MPH left in it too. :biggrin:

Yes, I did talk to Bill. He suggested a tansbrake "might" do the trick but he does not like to install them on the 200r4 for fear of breaking something. He also said a non-lockup produces to much heat for street driving. I only drive the car to and from the track about 15 miles away. I would also like to do any additional work on the car myself...... I'm out of money. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Why did you decide to go 3.73 gears? That MPH looks good. I think razor went low 11's with that. Get it off the line and you're there Like Louie said.

Jason

With the stock rear,(3.23 I think) the 60ft. would be worse wouldn't it? So Bill geared the car according to the turbo, cam, and head combo.

3.27 is stock but most of the time changing the gears hurts the cars performance. I'm not gunna argue with a reputable shop like his, but looking at the combos in the FAQ all of them run the 3.27..Must be working good enough.

Jason

I ran Thursday night at 21 PSI leaving at 6 PSI

Then leaving at 4 PSI 22 PSI

Then left at 12 PSI 22.5 PSI.. blew tires away..

lifted early :frown:

non-lockup converter

Then I drove home.. enough beating for one night :) New motor goes in next weekend :eek:

I thought about leaning it out, but I'm getting a very small amount of Knock on the run and the alky is turned up all the way...... So Razor you think it's the converter? :confused:

There is little difference betwen lock up and non lockup in the first 60'(someone correct me if im wrong).

Are you seeing KR on the shift or as you go through the gear?

I assume it's on the shift because It comes and goes away fairly quickly shortly after launch.

Nice times everyone. There are now several TTAs running some fast numbers.

Razor said:
New motor goes in next weekend :eek:

So does mine. Got the XFI & Harness in from Cal just need to plug it in. Now I gotta get the turbo. Man im cutting it close for Reynolds. Hopefully I can make it with the car.

Rob Hinson

Quiky One said:
3.27 is stock

Jason

I'm pretty sure 3.42 is stock. I love my non-lock converter. It will smash any lock-up I've ever owned in the 60' and 1/8th (Ive had both types of vigilantes). The ET is awsome also, but as usual maybe a couple MPH is missing at the big end. Art Carr can explain why the non-lock up is much better at your level of power.Has something to do with more avaliable room for larger fins and stator. They slip, but eventually they grab at higher power/RPM levels. Great for large turbos. Maybe 11sec rides (116MPH) benifit from locking, but anyfaster than that should be non-lock IMO. Just get a tranny cooler. I drive everywhere with my car, and it even has 4.11 gears! I run OD at the track and have extra racing clutches in my OD pack. That is something yet to be proven by me, so that may not be the best, but I'm trying it anyways.

ttafan said:
Vigilanty 4000 stall lockup converter, Moser rearend w/ 3.73 gears. I'm not spinning tires. The car just seems sluggish off the line...

I feel that this is where your 60-foot problem lies. ;)

ttafan said:
I thought about leaning it out, but I'm getting a very small amount of Knock on the run and the alky is turned up all the way...... So Razor you think it's the converter? :confused:

If the car is picking up 25 MPH past the 1/8.. leave the tuning alone.

If your spinning tires.. that will/can show up as knock briefly.

Yea Razor, The car went 97.74 in the 1/8. IF I decide to go with a non-lockup converter would I have to change anything inside the Trans? Or would it just be a matter of swapping it out? I could handle that job myself. Tearing into a 200 is something I would have to take back to the shop for. Thanks for the help everyone! :)

Dont go changing things without supporting data. You need to make small calculated changes and make sure its not something else.

Spend money on data logging equipment.. that way you have a better understanding of what your combination is telling you.

Case in point my car developed a 60 foot problem in BG this year.. it would not 60 foot to save it self.. I replaced control arms, TQ arm, tires, tuning, boost control.... ended up being rear shocks.

I'd think after your trip to the track, and the feed back you've got here. I'd talk to Bill and ask him again what options are available to you. How is the rest of your suspension set up? I have no doubt he'll steer you in the right direction....

Phatman said:
I'd think after your trip to the track, and the feed back you've got here. I'd talk to Bill and ask him again what options are available to you. How is the rest of your suspension set up? I have no doubt he'll steer you in the right direction....

+1.. you have to involve the correct people on all facets of a project.. after all that is why you paid them $$$ to work on the car.

Wish a lot of this stuff was cut and dry, unfortunately it isnt..