You can type here any text you want

K1 RODS!! How much HP???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlownV6

Im very curious to know some info about K1 rods from those that are using them. I personally would not recommend them for anything making any kind of stout HP. But that is just my opinion , I am concerned about the general design & strength of the beam structure on these rods.

So the question is what kind of experiences have you had with K1 rods?? What is your opinion about them?? And how much power are they good for??

Thanks in advance for any input on this topic!! Thanks Mike:cool:

Ive seen a lot of them used for under 800hp. I have not seen a failure. I dont know anyone who used them in an engine making over 1000hp repeatedly.

I thought K1 Rods were made in China? Here is what I'm going with...

Attachments

• IMG00104-20101223-1432.jpg
    IMG00104-20101223-1432.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 609
rods

Kinda resembles the cunningham rods in the stage motor except for the bushed pin, very nice. What's the weight?

Kinda resembles the cunningham rods in the stage motor except for the bushed pin, very nice. What's the weight?

And what length are they?? IMO 6.300 Crower rods are the top of the line at this time for a maximum effort (1400+ HP) combination. Mike:cool:

over 40lbs boost

with low RPM,
OOPS

est... 1200 HP

Attachments

• rods NG 006.jpg
    rods NG 006.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 764
I have seen that a few toooo many times!! What kind of rod is that??
Mike:cool:

That adds another variable into the equation.
An off-center rod in a high output situation.
From what I understand, a H beam is supposed to better handle the stresses in an off-center situation better than other designs.

K1 rod,
over 40lb boost, and shot of N02
An old Scottie rod?
Over 40lbs of boost?
If it is a Scottie rod, and I remember correctly, he was boosting a lot and spraying at a pretty low rpm. I don't think that is a fair situation to be judging a rod design.

that would be .............

correct.
I think he was running 40-44lbs boost,
and N02 to spool and launch, not sure on amount of spray.
on an 88 turbo!

not exactly average, but it did test the limits of parts!

Mike- i have a new set of K1s 5.960" for $500. shipped if you want to try them out., i will be needing a 6.300 or 6.350 rod in my next build.

Mike- i have a new set of K1s 5.960" for $500. shipped if you want to try them out., i will be needing a 6.300 or 6.350 rod in my next build.

Sorry I have no intrest in those rods as they will not work for me!!

I am not trying in any fashion to discredit K1 rods!! They are a nice rod and have their place in the buick community. Im trying to help people from making some of the same mistakes in rod selection that I have made over the years. K1 rods are going to be a good choice for lower HP engines , but as the HP output increases they are going to have a limit. There are enough people out there who have had both good and bad experiences with these rods. With enough input from those that have used them, we may be able to come up with a safe HP limit for them. This info will help may others to make sound decisions about rod selection based on their target HP. This will be a benifit to all who chose to listen to what others before them have experienced!!! Mike:cool:

Thanks for your contribution to the Buick Community Mike-we all appreciate it! Happy Holidays!

..............So the question is what kind of experiences have you had with K1 rods?? What is your opinion about them?? And how much power are they good for??...... Thanks Mike:cool:

We have used many sets of K-1 rods and so far they have performed excellent and seen no problems with them. :)

As far a how much power they will hold, I can only state we have them in engines that develop 1000 HP. For customers wanting more than that, their choice of rods and crank would be billet, which of course can be 3 times the cost.

For the majority of the Buick V-6 community, the K-1 rods have been a godsend, as for just a small additional cost over re-sizing and adding ARP rod bolts, a customer can move up to a much stronger and reliable component in the engine build.

I have used K-1 rods in one of my 9 sec. engines for years and really do NOT want to be the builder, or victim, to find the HP limit of a K-1 rod, or any other brand for that matter. :eek:

Just like the ads say, "drink responsibly, I would say, "pick your parts responsibly"! :biggrin:

Back