You can type here any text you want

left a rag in the engine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
and yeah I ran it. Left it in the plenum and it looks like it disappeared into number 1 cylinder. I pulled the dp and found nothing on the wheel. Pulled the driver side manifold and looked inside the crossover, didn't see much. I'm guessing it's wrapped up around the valves and inside the combustion chamber. I'm sure everyone is gonna leave a smart ass comment, feel free to do so as long as you leave some good advice with it:D So what do I do here? Do I just pull the driver side head off and see what's going on or pull the motor and tear the whole thing down. I got spare stock valves if I end up needing to swap some valves, a new set of springs, rocker arms, whatever. I got exactly a month to get this car back to running condition

U know the answer...
O and its not the first time I've seen this movie.

don't feel bad, I work in an engine test facility where engines are built and tested on dynos every day. stuff like this happens occasionally.

Pix or it didn't happen.

Do a google search, yours is tame compared to some of them.

is this a cloth rag or one of the paper towel shop rags? There's a good chance you've already disposed of the body.

Yeah, if it was a paper rag, its gone Im sure.
How does the engine run?
If it runs ok, no missing or shaking, leave it be. The "rag" has run its course, the engine ate it and shit it out:D

Pull the head as a valve is probably bent. :(

Unfortunately this advise is based upon experience, not a good one either. :mad:

Well think of it this way Jesse, I remember a sailor that ended up getting sucked through a jet engine and he as well as the engine survived so this may not be that bad.;) Take it one step at a time. Take the valve covers off and see if a valve is stuck down. Then take the doghouse and intake off. You may not have to tear the engine down all the way.:)

Man this is the best movie ever.....

My sound advise is that of Nicks, pull the head.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Got the head off. rag is wrapped around both the valves not allowing them to close. Good news is there is no evidence of valve and piston contact. Probably gonna pull both heads anyway and take them in and have them gone through. Cylinder walls look good, nice and smooth and no scarring. I can see fuzz on top of the piston rings though. I might drop the oil pan and make sure theres nothing in the pickup screen. Oil looked good. Looks liek there might be a little wear on the rockers and still need to look at the pushrods.

I plan on keeping the stock gm valves. So when I take these heads in, what should I have them use for guides and intake seals? I also have a new set of springs still in the package that I bought from frankg that is supposed to match the cam. Should I have them put them in too or just have the ones on the heads checked and run them?

I remember pulling a distributor more than once to fish rags out. Don't feel bad. I thought I was the only one that did that.

Cant believe there are no on the rag jokes. I have dropped a nut down a spark plug hole and didn't know until I started it. On a brand new BMW.

I know someone who left a paper towel in the oil pan.

just curious, anyone here got a worked set of iron heads set up for flat tappet? Never know, might end up having more into these heads than they're worth

Just do the guides on yours jesse. otherwise you are gonna buy a set that has the same damn problem as yours. I got a set of stock heads here that were running 11.50s with no issues before the guy upgraded. But they are untouched.

I decided I'm just going to have the heads gone through and maybe some cleanup if needed and throwing it back together. Going to run the same head gaskets. Not gonna do anything with the intake. Might port match the plenum to the throttle body but that will be it. Either way the car is going to run better than it did before

Well she's on the rag but it happens to most guy's but maybe not every month!!
But there is no pill for this one!!
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back