You can type here any text you want

Look what i broke....discovered

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jamericaniSS

Well before i begin i would like to thank Jeff Rand for coming out to my house at 8 a.m. this morning to help with the initial diagnosis on my car. Going off a tip from one of my buddies off the board that said that my crank hub looks wobbly, Jeff and i took it off to find the balancer looking like the pics below. Checked out the key on the crank and it looked good, so now im hunting for a new balancer. Apparently when they changed the seal they didnt tighten up the balancer bolt enough. Pretty scary.

So whats your take guys

Attachments

• P1000714.JPG
    P1000714.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 669
  • P1000715.JPG
    P1000715.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 572
  • P1000716.JPG
    P1000716.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 502
I hate to spam your post but. I've got a nice external balance (stock replacement) BHJ balancer for $175. If you're interested.

Scott Atk said:
I hate to spam your post but. I've got a nice external balance (stock replacement) BHJ balancer for $175. If you're interested.

Thanks for the offer scott, if i have/decide to go that route, i'll give you a shout pronto.....Im still doing some reading on the dilema

edit: pm sent Scott

jamericaniSS said:
Hahahah dude, lets not ask where the missing blade off your turbo went :eek:

yeah, yeah, only way to fix that is with a BB turbo :biggrin:

GNguy said:
yeah, yeah, only way to fix that is with a BB turbo :biggrin:

I think you need to look for the missing blade, where did it end up going with the car still running :eek:

How difficult is it to install the BHJ balancer....Seems like i will have to pull the cover to thoroughly inspect the crank key :mad: I guess i will learn how to take apart these motors after all

49-blues said:
I think i might have a good spare stock balancer.

Let me know what you find. Im still looking locally and reading more about the situation

Just went out and checked the crank snout. There is no left right or back forth play, its solid. Dont know if that means anything though

Looks to me like you were very lucky...
Just keep your fingers cross and hope its just damage to the balancer.

:cool:

Will do. I have two spare motors and will be using a BHJ so i know i have atleast one.-Care to make an offer?

jamericaniSS said:
Well before i begin i would like to thank Jeff Rand for coming out to my house at 8 a.m. this morning to help with the initial diagnosis on my car. Going off a tip from one of my buddies off the board that said that my crank hub looks wobbly, Jeff and i took it off to find the balancer looking like the pics below. Checked out the key on the crank and it looked good, so now im hunting for a new balancer. Apparently when they changed the seal they didnt tighten up the balancer bolt enough. Pretty scary.
So whats your take guys

Don't be surprised when you mic things out, that you'll be putting a crank in it. Lacking that, if the new balancer isn't a press fit on, it'll do the same thing. While the keyway on the crank might seem OK, the OD can be fubar'd from the balancer, chattering on it.

bruce said:
Don't be surprised when you mic things out, that you'll be putting a crank in it. Lacking that, if the new balancer isn't a press fit on, it'll do the same thing. While the keyway on the crank might seem OK, the OD can be fubar'd from the balancer, chattering on it.
he's right anthony. make sure you check it.

bruce said:

Do you happen to know what the crank keyway should mic out at?

bruce said:

Thanks for the heads up.....I know need a moment to go hammer my head into the wall. :(

Well i'll take it a bolt at a time....Prepare for a million questions. :confused:

Just mic the new balancer(or A new balancer), and look for the same measurement. That is- if no one can tell you exactly in here.

jamericaniSS said:
Thanks for the heads up.....I know need a moment to go hammer my head into the wall. :(

Don't feel too bad, after what seemed forever, when I got my GN I drove it 1,200 miles home. At the last traffic light, the PM totally quit. 3 days later did an oil change to cure a slight lifter noise.... The last owner had just put in a cam (can you see where this is going?). Turns out, the keyway was alot like your's but not as bad. :(

I had a *mule* 85 engine that I was able to put in, while I *Fixed* the good engine, ie swapped cranks, sized bearings, rings, cam, lifters, timing chain, etc., etc.....

Back