You can type here any text you want

Look what i broke....discovered

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Alrighty then! I went out to my cold-a$$ garage(whata guy), and measured the keystock in both my spare cranks. They're .192, so you keyway should be right around .193. ;)

rodman99999 said:
Alrighty then! I went out to my cold-a$$ garage(whata guy), and measured the keystock in both my spare cranks. They're .192, so you keyway should be right around .193. ;)

Good deal. The current mission is to remove the front cover to get a good reading on the keystock. Only 50 degrees here :biggrin:

I just did a search and found that the key is still available from GM. Does anyone know if it can be installed with the crank in the car?

According to QWK's recent experiment/picture thread, the key is suppose to look something like this

114772564.jpg

You cant really get a complete clear picture of it, thats all i could dig up

once again you sould have bought my car and you probably still have a running Vehicle, car sold on its way to Texas ;) good luck with your new project.

wiked87gn said:
once again you sould have bought my car and you probably still have a running Vehicle, car sold on its way to Texas ;) good luck with your new project.

Dude your funny, i already told you numerous times that i am happy with my car, and am happy i didnt buy yours. All i need for you to do now is get over it, thanks in advance. :biggrin: Back to the topic

that happened to mine at the track last year, too bad I had just left the light and was spooled up, it took out my entire engine when it hit the oil pump housing and locked the pump up. I lost the crank, block, couple rods, timing cover, oil pan....etc

consider yourself lucky. it could have been much worse.

ws6formula50 said:
that happened to mine at the track last year, too bad I had just left the light and was spooled up, it took out my entire engine when it hit the oil pump housing and locked the pump up. I lost the crank, block, couple rods, timing cover, oil pan....etc

consider yourself lucky. it could have been much worse.

Man that sucks, im not quite out the woods yet, i havent taken the cover off to really see the key. It looks good with the cover on, but as bruce said it might turn out to be different, fingers crossed.

The stock crank is external balance and the BHJ Internal balance dampener is different. It is also a press fit that needs to be honed for a proper fit to the crank.

If the key is not in the crank then you will need to take the cover off and make sure the gears on the cam timing set are right - I doubt that it is possible to remove and replace the key without removing the front cover and crank gear.

Good Luck

Yep- the gear/oil slinger have to come off to get it done). Besides- now's a good time to install a neoprene seal, and a roller cam button(if you haven't already). If the keystock is still in the crank(and tight), you're home free. Just take it out, and replace w/a new one. If your water pump is still good- only remove the longer throughbolts, and leave it on the cover. That'll save you from having to reseal it, and all. Be certain to use thread sealant on the bolts that go into the waterjacket. I'd remove the oil pan. The metal that got beaten out of the balancer had to go somewhere. Good chance the oil pick-up screen has some caught in it, not to mention what might be laying in the pan. RJC has a double thick, cork oilpan gasket that's worth the money(to keep you leak free down there). ;)

same thing happened to me years ago.. My key was not as enlarged as yours and I just replaced the balancer and I was good to go. Be sure to replace th ecrank sensor too. Im sure its been punched a few times by the relucture rings while the balancer was wobbling..

I had a very similiar instance a few years back. Found the balancer snout had a crack and the key way hole on the balancer was wallowed out. The key way itself was also damaged.

Pulled the cover to check things out, installed a new key way and balancer and all was good.

Goodluck..

Blown&Injected said:
The stock crank is external balance and the BHJ Internal balance dampener is different. It is also a press fit that needs to be honed for a proper fit to the crank.

If the key is not in the crank then you will need to take the cover off and make sure the gears on the cam timing set are right - I doubt that it is possible to remove and replace the key without removing the front cover and crank gear.

Good Luck
the balancer scott is selling is externaly balanced for a stock crank and has already been machined for .001 press.

jamericaniSS said:
Good deal. The current mission is to remove the front cover to get a good reading on the keystock. Only 50 degrees here :biggrin:

Before you go to the trouble of removing the front cover, get youself a stock balancer and try it to fit it on the crank to determine if you have a snug fit.The key did not look like it was damaged. Also we talked about using an air gun to install the crank bolt (a Kenny D. procedure). You could also get a flywheel wrench from Harbor Frieght and position it to lock into place (might have to get a little creative with an extension pipe on the handle and wedging it into place). Then use a 1/2" torque wrench (might have to use an extension pipe on the handle for leverage and torque the balancer nut to spec. (use some locktite on the threads).
Good Luck,
Jeff

Here's how I tighten the balancer nut. Put a bolt thru one of the holes in the back of the balancer and run it thru a steel pipe. Adjust the length of the pipe so it goes to the floor and stops the balancer from turning. I have used this method many times and it works great. Once the end of the pipe is on the floor, you can tighten the nut to 210 ft lbs with a 1/2 torque wrench.

Updated info and pics

Ok guy pulled the pan and here is what i found. Paper like material in the pan and on the oil pick up. I also found two small burgandy plastic teeny little rectangle pieces, could be teeth, its not metal though. I did see minute and few metal shaving pieces, like little sparkles, but not much, no big chunks of anything. No bronze looking metal pieces either, just silver.

Here is my conclusion, i have a blown HG. This would explain the disappearing coolant over a period of time. By the way im not using coolant im using rmi-25 and distilled water. The minute silver dust i see could be the balancer material that wore away.

I havent pulled a main cap yet, that is next, need to get my torque wrench first, will post pics

This is all on limited mechanical knowledge so bare with me, not claiming anything, just here to learn, one bolt at a time.

Attachments

• P1000717.JPG
    P1000717.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 383
  • P1000718.JPG
    P1000718.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 349
  • P1000719.JPG
    P1000719.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 101
  • P1000720.JPG
    P1000720.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 100
  • P1000721.JPG
    P1000721.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 90
Here are the rest. Stay tuned for more pics later on

Attachments

• P1000722.JPG
    P1000722.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 102
  • P1000723.JPG
    P1000723.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 116
jamericaniSS said:
Ok guy pulled the pan and here is what i found. Paper like material in the pan and on the oil pick up. I also found two small burgandy plastic teeny little rectangle pieces, could be teeth, its not metal though. I did see minute and few metal shaving pieces, like little sparkles, but not much, no big chunks of anything. No bronze looking metal pieces either, just silver.

Here is my conclusion, i have a blown HG. This would explain the disappearing coolant over a period of time. By the way im not using coolant im using rmi-25 and distilled water. The minute silver dust i see could be the balancer material that wore away.
I havent pulled a main cap yet, that is next, need to get my torque wrench first, will post pics

This is all on limited mechanical knowledge so bare with me, not claiming anything, just here to learn, one bolt at a time.

lOOKS LIKE SH**, GET A NEW MOTOR.. :biggrin:

Back