You can type here any text you want

Looking for info on rebuilding 455

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
Probably not the place for this but I figure I'm sure to get some info here. Picked up a 72 455 complete and th400 trans for probably a little too much money that needs a rebuild. Still has stock pistons. The motor sat out for a long time by the looks of it and took on some moisture in two cylinders. Dropped oil and didn't look too bad, didn't see much for water so that is good. The motor has obviously been apart since it had felpro gaskets. To me it looks like it had the wrong gasket in it. There's a hole in the lower section of the deck between two cylinders that is covered by the gasket. Thought that was odd.
IMG_20140910_184740_021.jpg

As far as checking things out and getting this back to being a running engine, I planned on stripping it down, hone the cylinders and see how things measure out and have it tanked and crack checked at a shop. After that I'd like to go with a simple budget build. I was thinking hyper pistons, .002 clearance on mains and rods, timing cover cleanup and pump rebuild, a cam if it is worth doing, new valve springs, and have the heads redone. I'm open to any and all suggestions and appreciate any feedback. BTW this will be going in an 85 regal, which I still need frame mounts and a cheap catback for.

The first thing you should do is tear the engine down and check the cylinder bore with the water in it. Depending on how long it has been like that, rust may be so deep it may need a sleeve?

As far as 455 Buick parts and info, TA Performance will have any and all the parts and expertise you need from stock to 1000 HP builds!

Like Nick said check the bore and see if it's worth rebuilding before doing anything .

I have to say that by the pic that cylinder looks pretty rough.

I've built many 400/430/455 motors and even a couple nail heads.

Your goals and budget will dictate the final outcome just like the V6.

There is also a wealth of info on V8buick.com.

Good luck with your build, the BB buick motors can be a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Man, they really did kill off compression in '71. Look at those ugly dishes!

I took some blaster and a scotbrite in a small spot and the rust come off fairly easily but I LM gonna tear it down and probably drop the block and heads off and see if they can even be used. I saw a set of hyper .030 pistons on eBay for just over 300 shipped with cast rings. Thought it was a good deal but of course I will have to wait.

If the block is good I've got a good set of heads Jesse. Just got to get the cheapest shipping up to the great white north for you.:p

I've heard that before Charles. What kind of money and what's been done to them?

Also need some abody frame mounts 68-72, hei distributor, and whatever trinkets if anyone has this stuff.

Back