You can type here any text you want

Lowering my car

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BigJayDee

PaintedwithPowder.com
I want to lower the ride height of my car but I dont want to mess up the weight transfer. Can I get away with cutting off part the spring or what springs can I use that wont cost me an arm and a leg ?

I need to drop about 3 maybe 4 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 383
I went with eibach springs on all 4 corners, dropped about 1-1/4" all around.
Others have gone with the moog set up, 5413 rear, 5658 front. Here is a write up on the moogs from jdpolzin (Jeremy): http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...ls/244936-moog-5658-front-spring-results.html
I do not believe you will achieve the 3"-4" drop without major mods to the suspension and wheel wells, thats a heck of a drop. Lowering these cars 1 to 1-1/2" makes a huge difference.
Here are some pics as an idea:
HTH

Attachments

• 2-04-08 004.jpg
    2-04-08 004.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 566
  • center caps 017.jpg
    center caps 017.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 565
Others have gone with the moog set up, 5413 rear, 5658 front. Here is a write up on the moogs from jdpolzin (Jeremy): http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...ls/244936-moog-5658-front-spring-results.html
I do not believe you will achieve the 3"-4" drop without major mods to the suspension and wheel wells, thats a heck of a drop. Lowering these cars 1 to 1-1/2" makes a huge difference.
HTH

Are your coilovers stock? If not, what do you use.

I agree. Even 2" inches is a HUGE drop. 4" inches and a roach will have to suck its gut in to crawl under your frame.:eek: :D

HTH

Your car super sweet. Love the stance and wheels.

HTH

TKGN1 has one of the nicest looking GN's in the country!

I don't think 4 inches is a huge drop on a G body. My C5 Z06 is lowered, so I'm used to driving a low car. I also want to lower my Turbo T about 3 inches and researching it.

No offense guys but I would never go any more than 2.5" on a G Body car unless you plan to run some very short tires or very skinny tires on the front. No matter how you correct your front end geometery, with a decent tire on the front, you are going to rub during normal driving. Another thing to think about is clearences under the car. The front cross member is pretty low in the front as it is. Then if you are running a stock location innercooler, you are going to have more problems. To each your own but there are comfortable limits. As stated previously, 2" is a pretty large drop for these cars. I shhould have a total of about 2 3/8" and it sits perfectly. When lowering your car, you also have to keep in mind that drops are based upon original stock ride height. Not based off your saggy original springs ride height. I think the most important factor people forget about when they say they want to lower their cars' is braking control, ride stability, ride quality, and handling. These are the most important factors, especially brake control, ride stability, and handling. Just hacking the front up to make it lower is going to make for an unsafe car. Every component of the front end needs to work with each other to achieve a common goal. Just my 2 pennies! ------Jeremy

Got to agree with Jdpolzin on this, If I lowered my car another two inches, I doubt I could drive it on most roads. At the lowest point, MY exhaust sits about 3-3/4" from the ground, the IC pipes are about 5" from the ground. Going any lower (without going to air-ride) would most likely would end up tearing some stuff off on bad bumps or pulling in/out of driveways ect.

From the original stock ride hieght 3" might be attainable, but as Jeremy said, take into account the saggy 20+ year old springs, most of our cars probably already sit 1/4-1/2" or more lower than they did off the showroom floor.

But if you would like to try for 3-4" drop, let us know how it goes and post some pics, I'm sure it would look pretty cool.

As TKGN1 said, it would look pretty darn sweet though!

BIGJAYDEE, you might actually try to 5658 springs since you have a v8 in the car, it should sit you right where you want it.

Back