You can type here any text you want

Lowering my WE4 without killing weight transfer, what's the best option?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steve

I want to lower my WE4 but I don't want it to be overly stiff so that I can have a reasonable amount of weight transfer. I know it will need to be some stiffer in order to make up for the lack of suspension travel once lowered but I am looking for a happy medium. I am looking for about a 2" drop. I would consider drop spindles but I am somewhat concerned about bumpsteer so any feedback on drop spindles would be appreciated. I would consider most any option to get the car lower without killing weight transfer and leaving some amount of ride quality. Thanks

Steve

I don't know how it is with cars, but I have lowered several trucks using spindles. Again, with trucks, the ride and handling was about the same- just lower.

If you lower the car and switch to the b-body spindle/1LE 12" brakes the combo is perfect and there is no additional bump steer.

Requires a Hotchkis or Global West upper control arm set.

Jim

If I was going to lower a car for looks and better handling and not appreciately effect weight transfer, the easiest was would be using the tall lower ball joints made for stock cars. This will give better handling than B spindles (less bump steer) or drop spindles (goofy geometry).

The downside to lowering a TR with stock springs is the intercooler scoop is going to drag a lot on bumps. Stiffer springs would reduce this.

I like this idea

UNGN said:
If I was going to lower a car for looks and better handling and not appreciately effect weight transfer, the easiest was would be using the tall lower ball joints made for stock cars. This will give better handling than B spindles (less bump steer) or drop spindles (goofy geometry).

The downside to lowering a TR with stock springs is the intercooler scoop is going to drag a lot on bumps. Stiffer springs would reduce this.
Would this drop the car at least an inch in the front, and do you have more info on what ball joint to get?

Once you dropped the front with the ball joints for better handling, I'm guessing you can go with a drop spring in the rear to lower it also.

I have 27" tall front and 28" tall rear tires and a FMIC, and think this would be a good set-up.

I don't want to be the thread killer

UNGN said:

Chris, have you done this on your car and how much did it drop the front? Is lowering springs the best way to drop the back to match the front? I'm really interested in this modification. I've rebuilt and painted the front suspension with POR 15 and getting ready to add the 4 UMI boxed rear arms. I think the 27" fronts and 28" rear tires will help out with any potential bump drag, plus I don't have a stock IC.

Back