You can type here any text you want

Maintenance inquiry

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JimG

Hi,
Just removing the intake manifold and I have found a large oily, greasy film which is quite thick on the rear portion. The injector harness connector?? which just lies back there is also totally caked in this goo.
My questions are: Any initial thoughts indicating where this mess may have come from?
If I replace that wiring harness connector ( I accidently broke of a little tab when disconnecting it) where does the other end(away from the engine) terminate?, and would there be an entire replacement, or would a new connector need to be wired up? (Really lousy spot to do any wiring though).
The manifold is going into the bead blaster and then some porting before being reinstalled.
Oh.. one other question.
I disconnected both the feed and return fuel lines from the rail, but they interfere with the removal of the manifold. Can i bend these some for clearance, or should they be removed from source completely?
Sorry to go on, guys.
All responses are appreciated.
thanks
Jim

What year is your car? If 86-87 then your rubber seal on the intake rail could have been leaking. You would have had somewhat of a vacuum leak though. The stuff under the intake sounds like some moisture mix. Well, I take that back. How many miles on the motor. I've pulled a few high mileage stockers with thick yucky film on the bottom of intake. Your PCV working? Don't bend the fuel lines. Remove the intake by lifting up the back first. Brake clean the connector really well a take a closer look. I would probably replace the injector harness at this point with a Ractronix or Caspers unit. Well worth the bux. I'd be willing to bet that the stock injector harness is chewed through somewhere. Might save you some trouble down the road.

Might ...

check the rubber grommet for the pvc valve, they have a tendancy to deteriorate over time and become a source of oil on the manifold. Excessive oil over a short period of time would indicate excessive blow-by.

What year is your car? If 86-87 then your rubber seal on the intake rail could have been leaking. You would have had somewhat of a vacuum leak though. The stuff under the intake sounds like some moisture mix. Well, I take that back. How many miles on the motor. I've pulled a few high mileage stockers with thick yucky film on the bottom of intake. Your PCV working? Don't bend the fuel lines. Remove the intake by lifting up the back first. Brake clean the connector really well a take a closer look. I would probably replace the injector harness at this point with a Ractronix or Caspers unit. Well worth the bux. I'd be willing to bet that the stock injector harness is chewed through somewhere. Might save you some trouble down the road.

Yes, its a 87. It has about 80,000 miles on it and i think i am the first to remove any parts from it. I also found one of the intake manifold bolts ( driver side center) was only finger tight:eek:. I did have some issues with an unfound vacuum leak last driving season, so maybe i am on the way to correct that too.
Thanks for the removal tip, was a little unsure about those fuel lines.
Will report back with any further findings tomorrow.
Jim

follow up

Well, i have the manifold back from the blaster and it looks like their may have been a repair done previously.
I will get a pic up soon, but there is a section of jb weld on the underside of the #1 Cylinder intake runner. Its really rough surfaced, compared to the rest of the manifold. I cant see any evidence of repair inside the runner, so i dont imagine it to be a concern, but i thought i would mention to see if there are other examples of this.
Picture will be forthcoming.
thanks
Jim

Well, i have the manifold back from the blaster and it looks like their may have been a repair done previously.
I will get a pic up soon, but there is a section of jb weld on the underside of the #1 Cylinder intake runner. Its really rough surfaced, compared to the rest of the manifold. I cant see any evidence of repair inside the runner, so i dont imagine it to be a concern, but i thought i would mention to see if there are other examples of this.
Picture will be forthcoming.
thanks
Jim

That is probably just the factory gasket sealer that they swab on with a janitors' mop.;)

Back