Metco vs. UMI vs. Spohn trailing arms...

C

coach

Hi Guys, Just about ready to order arms. Adjustable uppers and Boxed lowers. I like Metco lowers, but the uppers are pricy to say the least. Anyone out there ever use different make upper and lower? I was leaning toward Metco lowers and UMI adj. uppers. I also am using Full Throttle 1 3/8 sway bar. The Spohn look nice also. Any feedback is welcome. My car will be 11 flat to high 10's when complete. I do mostly street driving, but trips to the track will come. We have very fast street cars in my town and I do not want to let you guys down by loosing from a faulty choice. Point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Coach

I really like the Metco lowers on the street. No 60' track times with them but there was a nice difference over stock. No more wheel hop, car goes pretty straight even when it spins, after ported heads and bigger turbo, it hooks better than it did with less power. One of the biggest differences was in cornering. The rear felt so much more stable. No more slop.

Nothing cheap here:

BMR fully adjustable uppers with the spherical bearing in the front & 1LE rubber at the rear, about $325 or so for the pair & Global West lowers with the spherical bearing in the front and the good Del-A-Lum bushings at the rear, seems to me about $325 of so for the pair also. All around spirited street & freeway performance. Regardless of your choice, do not totally lock up all 4 points of the upper & lower rear control arms was the advice of every suspension shop that I checked with prior to purchasing mine. Hence the 1LE rubber at the rear upper control arms. Pocket-book considerations were not a factor when I planned this set-up. Works great but probably no better than a less expensive set-up if well selected for the purpose at hand. HTH

for the difference, why not stay with the Metco's :confused:

The Metco's are 575.00 for the set and UMI's are 355.00. With Metco lower and Umi upper I am about 400.00 for all 4. That is why I was asking.

While we are on suspension, 1 or 2 airbags? Are the airbag spacers( $30.00) worth putting in? I was going to run 2 and spacers, lets see what you guys think. Remember 11 flat is my goal, high 10's if possible.

Thanks
Coach

You might consider going with Iceman's stuff. His actual name is rick fisher, i believe. he makes g-body stuff. I run his arms on my GN and love them!

Iceman Products

One good thing about the Metco's is that they replace the bushings for free. I noticed mine were worn, called them up to order new ones, and the guy sent me a whole set for shipping only. Didn't need the original bill of sale or anything. I though that was great customer service!

I would also look into the HR ones. Everything I have from there is top notch stuff.

I just put on the Metco lowers with the full throttle bar this last weekend. Everything fit up perfectly and the car feels great on the road. I did not have a chance to get the uppers on yet, need to get the car on a lift. Great products in my opinion.

I have the Metco lowers on my car installed in the stock location using the factory bolts without the ICM brackets. They are a very nice improvement over the stockers and I definitely plan on the uppers in the future. For those that have the Metco lowers and the ATR/FT 1 3/8 rear sway bar are you using the ICM brackets or did you install them in the stock location??

I have the Metco lowers on my car installed in the stock location using the factory bolts without the ICM brackets. They are a very nice improvement over the stockers and I definitely plan on the uppers in the future. For those that have the Metco lowers and the ATR/FT 1 3/8 rear sway bar are you using the ICM brackets or did you install them in the stock location??

My lower Metcos are in the stock location with the ATR bar. My car isn't a great 60 footer either though.

I have BMR's on my 78 malibu race car...I wish I had installed the Iceman's on that ride. I have the Icemans on my 86 GN. Buy the metco's and I'm sure you're going to pay for the name. Do want you want but quality isn't always in the name. ;)

My lower Metcos are in the stock location with the ATR bar. My car isn't a great 60 footer either though.

Thanks Kevin. I'm not looking to get too aggressive with my car so I think this setup should work fine.

Support a Buick vendor (HR Parts and Stuff) and Paul comes to all Buick events with teck help.

Go with HR Parts and Stuff and be done with it.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Thanks for all the replies fellas', I went with Metco upper and lower. I did a Buick vendor, G-BODYPARTS. They sell everything under the sun. I also got Mike's 1 3/8 swaybar. Should be all put together by this weekend. Also Rick at Metco is a very good guy. Lifetime bushing replacement and all " MADE IN USA"

Thanks
Coach