Mini-starter recommendations please...

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
Just attempted to start my car again and heard a god awful clank and grind noise and the starter dragged to a stop. Thought it was something simple in the starter. I lifted the car, slid under and behold I see the aluminum starter nose cracked straight through toward the gear stop. :eek:

Well I'm tired of these big 15 pound monsters and I want an up to date smaller one. But the key word here for me is reasonably priced. I'm not building a competition car just a daily driver with some umf. Any recommendations guys??

If no suggestions, does anybody have a spare starter nose cone they'd like to get rid of?

hello; I recently got one from NCturbos for I forget how much. It does weigh ten pounds and suppose to save you ten pounds in weight. It was less than $200.00 It's reman AC-delco and looks new. But if you could find out what cars these came in you'd probably save some cash.
IBBY

get the 120 doller mini starter for a small block chevy from summit racing. works perfect for me. part number # sum-829100

Looking at it, (and I like it). But it's only listed up to 1980 and just for V8's. What year block you have it on? (Mine is an '81). Also I don't know if I have a 153 or 168 tooth flywheel....I got this flywheel from you a couple of years ago.:rolleyes:

hello; Any questions I have with Summit I call the tech line for answers.
Lets here what you find out.
IBBY

Let me find my receipt. I just got one brand new for $58 shipped, with a shim, with bolts. There was a thread on here with the link. Will try to find that too.

x2
I bought the same starter from the same seller off ebay. Put in on my '83 this summer and it performed well. The starter on '82 is getting flakley, so I ordered another just in case.

Squid...Rich, THAT IS FREAKIN COOL!! Price is outrageously fair with free shipping. Now that's what I call reasonbly priced! ;) Ordered....on it's way. Thanks guys!

It got here quick too. I was stoked to see it had bolts, thought I was going to have to order some or find some elsewhere, but it was all together.

For $58, its good enough for the girls I go out with. ;)

hello; I looked at that $58 jeep starter and I like the bat. conn. area on the solinoid better than the AC Delco I got . That area in the AC unit is a rectangular cheap looking plastic. The jeep one is more of a normal looking area to me.
good luck with what you got and well see what happens with mine.
IBBY

It got here quick too. I was stoked to see it had bolts, thought I was going to have to order some or find some elsewhere, but it was all together.

For $58, its good enough for the girls I go out with. ;)

Jeezes Christ you aint kidding! Damn thing just got here. WOW! Now Imagonna git ma hands dirty....Whoopee!!:D

Thanks Rich. You know I often forget how tricky it is even after the many times I've removed this OEM starter. I must say that this mini-starter replacement was a pleasant and enjoyable experiance. I love the sound when I cranked her up. Totally differant then that boat anchor starter. The car sounded like a well done restoration job...sweet. LOL! It was funny when I went to put away the broken starter in my spares box I found that I already had a new starter, (a heavy OEM style). :D

Buick 007.jpgBuick 002.jpg Buick 009.jpgBuick 010.jpgBuick 011.jpgBuick 012.jpg

That the PMG style starter and I prefe the gear reduction type myself. If you do a search for sbc starter on evilbay you should be able to find a gear reduction type which usually hold up better than the PMG style ones.;)

Freddie's Buick said:
If no suggestions, does anybody have a spare starter nose cone they'd like to get rid of?

Well, was digging thru some crap in my garage after installing my new mini starter and found a near new nose cose... You want it for a spare, or to sell your starter?

Hey thanks squid....but as I posted earlier, I found in my junk-box a fairly new conditioned spare OEM starter. If this mini-starter ever goes and I wanna replace it on the cheap....well, you know the deal. Thanks anyway bro!