You can type here any text you want

Mini starter..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Been reading some old threads on the topic. I see that the Chevy LT4 starter is/was a popular choice.
I am looking at the Powermaster line, and have a ? The particular unit has 4 mounting holes and numerous locations for clocking.
The link is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VVXKO6/ref=pe_344980_140776460_em_1p_1_ti

Powermaster says this won't fit a Buick.
I had a mini on my last Gn. AIRC, I had to cut a notch in the inner corner of the mt block to clear the engine. It was intended to be used on a SBC. Worked great!

Would someone plse take a look and let me know if that unit will fit.

TIA,

Not sure why you want to get one of those, or what it's got to do with the engine since it's an electrical part, but you can get one off evilbay for under $100 shipped Chuck.

The evil bay starters are somewhat of a crap shoot. I think most go for the LT4 starter because its' a lifetime replacement at most big box auto parts. Having said that I have fleebay starter that's been on there for there for 7 years.

I did a search on here and found a mini starter that some were using from DB Electrical for $52.95 delivered. Mine works great. It only weighs 7 pounds. www.dbelectrical.com.

I have the DB and no problem so far...any my car has extended cranking time compared to other GNs I've had.

This is the first mini starter offered for the Buick. It has 4 plastic gears inside it.Genuine space-age plastic,if that makes you feel better.

I have the DB mini starter as well and it's been on the car for some years now.

Works great and bolted right in. Never a single problem with it,for the price it's hard to beat.

When it goes bad,they all do at some point, I intend to use it as a core and buy one from the local auto parts store with a lifetime warranty.

Not sure why you want to get one of those, or what it's got to do with the engine since it's an electrical part, but you can get one off evilbay for under $100 shipped Chuck.

Amazon/e-bag.. Been there. Lots to choose from.
I need a starter as mine is NASTY, full of crap, and will cost as much as a new to rebuild...;)

Chuck

I am not a fan of the strait cut gear starters, if you have any nicks or problems (minor) on the ring gear they will grind on that spot. I find them heavy and unless you have a hi compression motor they are not really needed. The Tilton is what my buddy uses and they are a quality piece.

I grab every lt1 starter in the junkyard I come across that isn't a crusty turd. Last one I got looked damn near new for 16 bucks. I have an lt4 on my we4 and an lt1 on my 455. Not much of a weight difference.

Just a FYI, if you have a set of TA headers, the LT4 starter will NOT work. ask me how I know.....

You need something with a similar body style to the Turbobuick starter to work

I think the one I got from Earl is an LT1 version and it's OK with TA headers.

DB electrical mini starter works great for me.

I just installed the one from DB electrical. Awesome!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I just got a DB starter. Works great, but didn't use the bolts. The treads were too soft. I used the originals, just added some washers.

Back