Moog 5658 front spring results

The Duralast rear spring part number is RCS5379S. You can purchase them through AutoZone. The Moog 5658 fronts can be bought online or through Oreilly's or Advacnced. Most people get the best price through Amazon.com. We have tried most available springs for our cars and this combo works and sits the best.

We just completed the Hot Rod Power Tour with two cars that use this combo. The roads were harsh in some spots and the curves were tight. Both cars rode very well and handled great! The stance isnt too agressively low but low enough that people know somethings going on with the car.

Any pics of the moog duralast combo? I am trying to determine what springs will give me about 1" lower stance compared to stock saggy 25 year olds. i am doing tube control arms which drop the front about .5" so i hope to get a nice rake.
any insite?
Chris

Which lowers are you using? Remember not all tubular lower arms drop the front. Mainly just the BMR's.

As far the rears go, the duralast springs arent going to get you as low as Stu's car. They are an excellent combo with the 5658's but if you want to be really low, your best bet is to go with the rear drop springs from Original Parts Group. They carry 3" and 2" springs. Remember though, the ride will be harsh.

Sorry its not stu's its spoolfool2's car and i will be using Brians arms (G-Body parts)
I dont want slammed i just want a lower raked stance maybe 1.5" upfront and 1" out back. I was thinking the 5658's and 5413's maybe?
Chris

Brians lower A arms wont lower the car. The BMR's lower the car roughly 7/8".

I personally would start with the 5658's and if you want to go lower, you can go with the Howe's tall ball joints to help with your camber curve and lower the car another 7/8" if thats what you decide to do. The 5413's will lower the car more than the Duralasts. I would start with the front springs, then worry about the rears after your fronts are on and you see where you are and if you like the stance. Or you can also go with OPG's lowering coils all the way around. I personally dont care to do all of the lowering with just springs but it can be done.

Brian stated they would net about 1/2" lower with is arms i cant say i dont have them yet. What kind of net drop will i see with the moogs front and rear i would really not like to play the swapping game if possible i want to get the chassis rolling when it comes back from powdercoating.
thanks,Chris

Brian stated they would net about 1/2" lower with is arms i cant say i dont have them yet. What kind of net drop will i see with the moogs front and rear i would really not like to play the swapping game if possible i want to get the chassis rolling when it comes back from powdercoating.
thanks,Chris

Ok, I'm glad to know that!!:biggrin: As far as how much drop you will see, it's going to depend on how sagged your stock springs are. BUT, the 5658's set the car down 1" as compared to stock replacements. You will get lower with the 5413's than the Duralasts but again it's very hard to compare to your stock springs. I can tell you that the 5413's in combo with the 5658's and another 1/2" from the lower arms is going to look very nice!!!!!:biggrin:

Thanks for the input I just got the car as a roller a month ago so hard to determine How sagged they were it did look a little low in the back but who knows just need a good starting point!
Chris

Anyone have any knowledge on Hotchkis springs besides them being over priced compared to say the 5658/5413 moogs i see some say they hurt track times and they ride like a brick!
Chris

I've installed the Hotchkis springs 7 times now for other people and lets put it this way, I've taken out 4 of those sets for them and installed the Moogs.

The complaints are that the rears sag compared to the front, and they ride rough.

Pictures before and after the front spring swap done by jdpolzin below. Car definately has a much more buttoned down feel on the road with less float, but ride quality did not suffer at all. I think the pictures highlight how worn my springs actually were.

Before 5658:
beforemoog.JPG

After 5658:
aftermoog-jpg.158674

Attachments

• aftermoog.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 838
Since someone brought this thread back up after almost a full year I think I can help out a little on the info. I don't like the Ebach or hotchkiss springs. They're a little to heavy for a V6 car. I do have some numbers that are moog parts that are close to the same rates of the DSE springs (575f and 125r) that Scott W (GNS Performance) is using on his car. For the front of the car a rate of 530 lbs per inch or 598 lbs per inch. The lighter spring will give you a smoother ride but the heavier ones will help the car go around the corners a little better. On the rears I don't increase the rate a whole lot because it's the front that has the most. The rates I chose are either 141 lbs per inch or 167 lbs per inch. The springs may not look like a stock spring but they will fit in the upper spring pocket the right way. I'll list them as pairs somewhat matched so it doesn't confuse you any. The part numbers are MOOG so you will get a quality spring. These springs will lower the car at least 1" overall.

Lighter spring combo part numbers 5658 Front and 6377 Rear
or
heavier spring combo part numbers 5660 Front and 5413 Rear.

The other option for the front spring is the 5642 (stock height at 420 lbs/in) or 5608 (1" lower at 424 lbs/in) and will stiffen up the fronts some without giving a really harsh ride. The stock spring has a rate of 355 lbs/in and this will give you some options as to what you want to do with the car.:)

Chuck, the car looks like a million dollars brother! I'm jealous, miss my white Limited!!!:D

Charlie, do you have any pictures of any of those combos on your car?
Not at the moment Jeremy.:oops: I've spent almost a year reviewing spring rates and heights ect to compair how they stack up. My poor MOOG catalog is worn quite a bit at this point and I need a new one. I did find the MOOG catalog online but it's a pain to download.:( I also found the rates of the "performance" springs put out by Eibach ect and they're more for a V8 car than the lighter V6 powered cars.

Pictures before and after the front spring swap done by jdpolzin below. Car definately has a much more buttoned down feel on the road with less float, but ride quality did not suffer at all. I think the pictures highlight how worn my springs actually were.
i like that white buick looks good
Before 5658:
View attachment 158675

After 5658:
aftermoog-jpg.158674
i like that buick looks good in white with a little bit of black

Hey Charlie-
A little off topic but my car rides too stiff for my liking. I think I replaced the springs a while ago with the Moog replacements, but I can't remember for sure. I installed Monro Sens a track shocks (the black ones) last year. I have all the cross braces for the frame and in the trunk, installed by the previous owner. Anyway, I can't remember how the car drove when I first got it, but I think the ride was better than it is now (at least if you aren't autocrossing). I did install the missing bushings at the 3 and 4 position with GM rubber NOS ones a couple years ago. Eric Fisher once said Buick left those bushings out for a softer ride. Do you think those bushings make much of a difference? I'm thinking of removing them. Thanks.