MT ET Street radial ?'s

Twistin6

Has anyone that runs this tire had more of an issue with hooking up if they do a burn out vs. just turning them over to clean? I cannot get this car to hook leaving at 7-9lbs of boost and tires at 20lbs. It just boils them. I can leave at 4lbs but the car wants to bog down a little doing that. Like it wants to leave with more to really be in its element. All of these passes were doing a substantial burn out no sway bar in the front. Months ago when I first took this car to the track I pulled up on these tires cold not even turning them over brake boosted to 10lbs and it dead hooked both passes with a 1.70 60ft. Now that the tune is better and it is leaned out a little on the bottom to help spool on the footbrake it just won't hook. Ideas???? I'm all ears. If it will hook I see a 10 sec slip coming.

All of these passes were doing a substantial burn out no sway bar in the front.

Whats a substantial burn out? I think you just barely need to spin them to get them hot. Just spin them until they start to smoke.

I did a light burnout and a 3-4psi launch netted 1.59. Id guess high 1.40's would have been no problem at 8-10 psi. I ran 16psi in my 275 60's. They have been in the 1.40's off the foot brake and Tony Gomes looks like he was in the 1.20's on the 7.95@175 pass. He runs 325 50's.

I did a light burnout and a 3-4psi launch netted 1.59. Id guess high 1.40's would have been no problem at 8-10 psi. I ran 16psi in my 275 60's. They have been in the 1.40's off the foot brake and Tony Gomes looks like he was in the 1.20's on the 7.95@175 pass. He runs 325 50's.

I'm fairly confident Tony Gomes has 295's.

I am going to go against the popular belief and say put the tire pressure up to around 26psi and work from there.

I have been 1.50 with a 255/50/16 MT Dr with 26psi in them...They are still a radial tire..And with not enough air in them,I believe they will cup and not put the entire on the ground flat..If that makes sense.

I Know a few buddies that have been very low 1.4's with them...The pressure is never low in them...Always up over 22 psi or so.

I believe track prep will make the biggest difference weather you will be able to stick them or not.

I had little 235/60/15's Mt Dr's on my Blue T...1.60 with them not even trying to launch the car...Yup...24psi.:biggrin:

Also...I always go around the water,Easy burnout,Just to clean them off..Heat them up a bit...No crazy burnout.

Works for me.

Now that I have read everones post some things are making scence. When I did get it to hook they were at about 24-25lbs with no burn out but tires were clean. When doing a pillowy white burnout I did so because I had went n the water and wated to dry them out good. Next time I will skip the water and just clean them off good with a few rotations. By the way alot of fast cars were there and the track was well prepped.

Bison I would guess maybe my convertor is not perfectly matched to my combo. Is a reason for my car not cutting a good 60 at as low of boost as yours did. Although I think its close the difference between a 5lb and 7-8lb launch is substantial in the way the car leaves.

I've always done a burnout until I see smoke. When only doing a small burnout it seems they are easier to overpower. The only reason I go through the water is when I'm in my white T with a spool. Much easier to get them spinning when they are wet.

With good track prep, low to mid 20's psi seems best. On cold days, I lower the psi to upper teens.

Your experience with the MTs seem similar to my experience recently with my new trans/converter setup. Now that you have your tune better, you are making power better and its easier to overpower the tires. But you need the rpm to hit the converter and if you leave at too little boost, you are not at enough rpm for the converter and it bogs. Hence 4lb launch it bogs and 8lb launch it spins.

Richening up your tune down low may help you with traction control. Also, tightening up the converter would allow you to leave with less rpm and less boost off the line. Watch your rpm off the line and there may be a magic area between the 4lbs and 7lbs where there will be enough rpm so you don't bog down and not too much where you'll build too much boost and blow the tires away. You might be able to benefit from some kind of launch control/rpm limiter once you find this point if you can't watch it close enough every time.

For me, I'm looking at going to 325/50 MT DRs or some 28x10.5 slicks. I've been 1.4s on 275/60s, but I want to be able to hit it harder and not worry about spinning. I've even got an electronic boost controller with launch control and that doesn't even fix everything to be able to launch where I want it. I'll need to go to a CO2 setup to truly be able to control the launch parameters so that its consistent every time. Its not that easy when you have a narrow launch window where its easy to overpower the tires.

So keep trying and pay attention to your rpms at launch and you might find that sweet spot.

Best 60ft so far was a 1.55 with 275/50 MT radials on 8 inch wheels with 15# or air .... Imo rim tire size and converter have alot to do with what will hook best. I just switched to 275/60'sto get ahigher trap speed so i will start with abt 18# of air then go down.

this question comes up almost as often as the gta wheel spacer posts

ive gone 1.50s on 255/50-16s on 8" wide gta rims 6psi launch
and 1.41 on 275/60-15s on 8" wide telstars 10psi launch
pressure in tires was 22-23psi
my 27" MT 255/60-15 on 8.5 rim just went 1.58 on shawns (19tta89) car last night 20psi

on MT slicks i've yet to get as good a 60 as i have on the mickey DRs
best so far on 28-10.5 slicks was 1.46 and that took a 12psi launch

as far as suspension i have less than most .... HRparts bar (no frt bar) stock lcas (boxed) stock upper arms , stock rr springs , no airbags

great post. i havent had a problem with mine. i have goten 1.60 leaving at 5psi on a 11 sec car. Pressure was at 17psi. Then the next time out I couldn't get a sixty foot for nothing. I think this year I will start around 25psi and lower it from there

IF YOU GUYS DRIVE YOUR CAR IN THE RAIN WITH THESE BE EXTRA CAREFUL!!! last week i got caught in the rain on the highway .the car hydroplaned spun around and was looking down the highway the wrong way . i got lucky myself or nobody else got hurt and the car didn't get it too bad either.

BE CAREFUL IN THE RAIN WITH THESE TIRES!!!!

Anyone have any experience with MT drag radials in 275/40/17 on a Turbo Buick? I've got 17's that need to be replaced anyway and I'm trying to keep a low profile (no pun intended). I think they'll just barely fit under my car but I have no idea how well they perform. Oh...I only drive on nice days and prefer the car is always set on kill mode.:cool:

Mickey Thompson 3743R

Anyone have any experience with MT drag radials in 275/40/17 on a Turbo Buick? I've got 17's that need to be replaced anyway and I'm trying to keep a low profile (no pun intended). I think they'll just barely fit under my car but I have no idea how well they perform. Oh...I only drive on nice days and prefer the car is always set on kill mode.:cool:

Mickey Thompson 3743R

I asked this same question a few months ago but got no responce from users with a TB. Would like to go to a 17 myself but have traction fears of doing so. If you try it let us all know. There is a gentleman on the board that mounted a set on Billet Specialties Street lights but doesnt run at the track. From a PM I asked him about his stance and his comment was he used eibach pros which I assume lowered height about 1-2" . They fit and looked great.

Wouldnt the best tire pressure be the pressure that leaves the widest patch.
I dont get a full width patch above 18psi, of course I have more weight in front.

Wouldnt the best tire pressure be the pressure that leaves the widest patch.
I dont get a full width patch above 18psi, of course I have more weight in front.

That's true. Actually the entire footprint is also important. So the width and the length are important. You cannot really tell the length of the footprint by looking at the patch.
trial and error is the only way to figure out what works best. On application may require as low as 10psi and another 20 spi to get the best traction.